• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uniform Preservation

wtopace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
Wylie, TX
Hey guys,

Before my grandfather passed away about a month ago we went through most of his old belongings and found what was left of his WW2 things. He still had his old SSgt uniform, discharge paperwork and some of his coins and other small things. I took a few M1 Garands to let him handle a few weeks before his death and he was ecstatic to play with them again (he was in near perfect health for his age and died almost unexpectedly at the age of 93).

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used anyone that provided preservation services - I would like to get his stuff properly cleaned, pressed and framed so that it will last forever.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Re: Uniform Preservation

Sorry to hear of his passing. Most wedding gown stores should be able to provide this service. Check in with a local one and see what they can do for you. My local store took care of my Dress Blues after I completed my service.

Thank you for the condolences. I forgot to mention that he also has his maps of his tours in Europe, any recommendations on those?

Thanks!

I say you should frame them. You could get a shadow box for all his coins and small stuff. Hang the maps above the shadow box. I think it would look good.

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wtopace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the condolences. I forgot to mention that he also has his maps of his tours in Europe, any recommendations on those?

Thanks! </div></div>

I dont know what condition the maps are in but the University of Virginia has a service they use for old books and manuscript preservation. I don remember exactly what its called but you can find out by contacting Alderman Library at UVA. It could be "college of the book" or something like that. They could no doubt advise you on keeping them in good condition.