• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Universal laws

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Universal Laws

1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.

3. Law of Probability -The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act

4. Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal and someone always answers.

5. Law of the Alibi - If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire, the very next morning you will have a flat tire.

6. Variation Law - If you change traffic lanes or lines, the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).

7. Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.

8. Law of Close Encounters -The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.

9. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine (like a TV set) won't work, it will.

10. Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

11.. Law of the Theater and Hockey Arena - At any event, the people whose seats are furthest from the aisle, always arrive last. They are the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet and who leave early before the end of the performance or the game is over. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies, and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.

12. The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.

13. Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only two people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.

14. Law of Physical Surfaces - The chances of an open-faced jelly sandwich landing face down on a floor, are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug.

15... Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

16. Brown's Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.

17. Oliver's Law of Public Speaking - A closed mouth gathers no feet.

18. Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

19. Doctors' Law - If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there you'll feel better. But don't make an appointment, and you'll stay sick.

Re: Universal laws

this reminds me of common tools explained

WIRE WHEEL:
Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned cleco calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Oh sh*t!"

PLIERS:
Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

HACKSAW:
One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

TABLE SAW:
A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

BAND SAW:
A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminium sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:
A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

WELDING GLOVES:
Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: j27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this reminds me of common tools explained

WIRE WHEEL:
Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned cleco calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Oh sh*t!"

PLIERS:
Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

HACKSAW:
One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

TABLE SAW:
A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

BAND SAW:
A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminium sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:
A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

WELDING GLOVES:
Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need. </div></div>

I am laughing my ass off at this and it's very true!

Kinda reminds me of my days as a welders helper. My boss says when he flys he takes an extension cord in his carry on. If the plane starts going down just jump out and throw one end of the cord, it'll always hang up on something!

don't look up with your mouth open when pedgions are about !
better yet, in that case don't look up at all.

30'06 cases, when dropped, will ALWAYS dent the mouth, but only after they have been resized. Seriously, this is an everytime event for me so far, 308, 223, 762x54, 8mm, 300 WM Nothing else seems to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda reminds me of my days as a welders helper. My boss says when he flys he takes an extension cord in his carry on. If the plane starts going down just jump out and throw one end of the cord, it'll always hang up on something! </div></div>
a friend of mine says the same thing about tarp straps

-How to torque a nut.

-Tighten til it strips and then back off half a turn.

If the water is still swirling, the seat will be warm

18 UNNATURAL LAWS
===================

Have you ever received a phone call the minute you stepped outside your door? Has the bus you were waiting for ever appeared from behind a parked truck the instant you light up a cigarette? Certain astute individuals have noticed that such events are not the exception but, rather, the rule. Men like Murphy, Peter and Parkinson have made it their life work to ferret out the operating principles - the laws that govern the frustrating lives that we mortals live. Here is a small sampling of these laws.

MURPHY'S LAW
-------------
If anything can go wrong, it will.

O'TOOL'S COMMENTARY ON MURPHY'S LAW
------------------------------------
Murphy was an optimist.

THE UNSPEAKABLE LAW
--------------------
As soon as you mention something ....
... if it's good, it goes away
... if it's bad, it happens.

NONRECIPROCAL LAWS OF EXPECTATIONS
-----------------------------------
Negative expectations yield negative results. Positive expectations yield negative results.

HOWE'S LAW
-----------
Every man has a scheme that will not work.

ZYMURGY'S FIRST LAW OF EVOLVING SYSTEMS DYNAMICS
-------------------------------------------------
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

ETORRE'S OBSERVATION
---------------------
The other line moves faster.

SKINNER'S CONSTANT (FLANAGAN'S FINAGLING FACTOR)
-------------------------------------------------
That quantity which, when multiplied by, divided by, added to, or subtracted from the answer you get, gives you the answer you should have got.

MURPHY'S LAW OF SELECTIVE GRAVITY
----------------------------------
An object will fall so as to do the most damage.

JENNING'S COROLLARY TO MURPHY'S LAW OF SELECTIVE GRAVITY
---------------------------------------------------------
The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

GORDON'S FIRST LAW
-------------------
If a research project is not worth doing at all, it is not worth doing well.

MAIER'S LAW
------------
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

HOARE'S LAW OF LARGE PROBLEMS
------------------------------
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.

BOREN'S FIRST LAW
------------------
When in doubt, mumble.

THE GOLDEN RULE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
-------------------------------------
Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

BARTH'S DISTINCTION
--------------------
There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and those who don't

SEGAL'S LAW
------------
A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES
--------------------------------------------
The first 90 % of the task takes 90 % of the time, and the last 10 % takes the other 90 %

FARBER'S FOURTH LAW
--------------------
Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows.

9. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine (like a TV set) won't work, it will.

I hate this one. It happens all the time at work. My car is making this noise. But when we drive it Or they are with us you nevere hear it. I feel bad for the customer. But if we can't hear it we can't fix it. The an hour or so is consumed by combing the car for any problems.

The 50 50 90 rule.

If you have a true or false question and you do not know you have a 90% chance of picking the wrong one.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES
--------------------------------------------
The first 90 % of the task takes 90 % of the time, and the last 10 % takes the other 90 %

That is the truth. Why does that last 10% have to be so hard?

Opportunity Law

A bird in the hand invariably shits on your wrist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 UNNATURAL LAWS
===================

NONRECIPROCAL LAWS OF EXPECTATIONS
-----------------------------------
Negative expectations yield negative results. Positive expectations yield negative results.

</div></div>

Very Zen. Like it.