• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Universal Leveling base upgrade

MPHReallyRightStuff

RRS SOAR Division Director
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Lehi, Utah
www.reallyrightstuff.com
Just to give you guys a heads up, since it is commonly asked about and multiple threads made. We upgraded one of our leveling bases with a new design and clamp.

TA-2U-SC SOAR Universal Leveling Base
Increased the ability to shoot more angles.
Increased the lock up.
Changed the mechanism to lock and unlock so it works easier with rifles.
The clamp on top works with both Mil STD 1913 Picatinny and the RRS 1.5" Dovetail.
Clamp is removable to use the platform on top with the industry standard 3/8" tripod stud for direct thread attachment of other gear.

Hopefully this fits a solution for some of you. If you have any questions go ahead and shoot.

Attachments

• TA-2U-SC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp_2.main-02 (1).png
    TA-2U-SC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp_2.main-02 (1).png
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • TA-2U-SC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp_2.main-04 (1).png
    TA-2U-SC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp_2.main-04 (1).png
    917.4 KB · Views: 121
Looks pretty awesome!

So for someone in the market for a dedicated shooting and spotting tripod kit, would you recommend this over the Anvil 30? I’m in the Midwest, so there’s very little likelihood I’ll be doing any high angle shooting where I would “need” the full range of motion of the Anvil 30.

Also, will you be offering this head as a full tripod package?

Thanks!

We don't really offer any packages since all of our products are plug and play. The only reason the Anvil is in the packages, is becuase the apex will not work with any other ballhead out there.

We have had leveling bases for a long time and I only use the Anvil when I think i am going to have an opportunity to shoot. It just fits my style. I think the leveling base suits some people and not others. So I can't give you a definitive answer for which one to go with. Anvil is stronger, has a side lever instead of underneath for main function, and has more angle capabilities. The leveling base will probably feel more smoother with optics on top since it is not made to withstand so much torque that you can put into the Anvil.

Reactions: samb300
Just to give you guys a heads up, since it is commonly asked about and multiple threads made. We upgraded one of our leveling bases with a new design and clamp.

TA-2U-SC SOAR Universal Leveling Base
Increased the ability to shoot more angles.
Increased the lock up.
Changed the mechanism to lock and unlock so it works easier with rifles.
The clamp on top works with both Mil STD 1913 Picatinny and the RRS 1.5" Dovetail.
Clamp is removable to use the platform on top with the industry standard 3/8" tripod stud for direct thread attachment of other gear.

Hopefully this fits a solution for some of you. If you have any questions go ahead and shoot.

Got mine yesterday , only had a few minutes to play with it , put it on a shadowtech /pig tripod. Seems really solid direct mounted to rifle. Will get to play with it more this weekend.

I have the original leveling head and love it. Just got a anvil today and not sure that i made the right choice. Not near as easy to have in a mid friction point. I hear the lever can be adjusted so i will try that and give it a few hundred rounds before it give up on it as its just different and will take some getting used to. I may have to order one of these to see though...

I have the original leveling head and love it. Just got a anvil today and not sure that i made the right choice. Not near as easy to have in a mid friction point. I hear the lever can be adjusted so i will try that and give it a few hundred rounds before it give up on it as its just different and will take some getting used to. I may have to order one of these to see though...
Any updates on how it’s been working for you? I’m between this leveling head and an anvil 30 since I want to be able to do both pic and arca

I'm curious as to what the ball radius is on this unit. Is it a 75mm like their series 3 leveling bases that have their operating handles underneath? If they are the same size ball radius, classifying this unit as a series 2 must just be referring to the size of the direct attachment base.

Any chance to buy just the new clamp to upgrade a TA-3?

after running for a couple of weeks i kept the anvil. It is the superior head by far! I have a thousand rounds over it now and couldn't be happier

after running for a couple of weeks i kept the anvil. It is the superior head by far! I have a thousand rounds over it now and couldn't be happier
What legs are you running?

How much more angle does this have compared to the ta3

TA3 = 15 degrees
TA-2U =20
Anvil 30 = a lot. I don’t know I can’t find the number on their site for some reason

Reactions: Jabot
So here’s my question… Where is the manual for this ball head online?

I just got one and it turns out you have to assemble it, but it doesn’t tell you how to remove the stud that’s installed in the top of the ball head.

What’s really odd is that it comes with the dovetail mount in the box, not assembled onto the ball head…

(In other word not even remotely ready to use out of the box.)

Two pieces… not like this…

1668205698247.png

Looks like this…
1668205915857.png

(though there are a few more holes on the plate… and the stud in the center does not come out. It looks like you have to disassemble this thing somehow…. But no instructions online and no instructions in the box..)

…and yes, all the other SOAR items have documentation here….

I may seem like I’m being a jack ass, but when you spend 400 and some odd dollars for an RRS ball head, you expect it to be ready to go when you get it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the secret to getting the stud removed? I just received mine and even heating it too hot to hold, it will not budge.

24hr update… After soaking in Kroil overnight and heating till was HOT with a glove - I was able to get the Red Loctite to release. Leaving this so that others might benefit.

Last edited: