• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Universal or "perfect fit" reloading trays?

Re: Universal or "perfect fit" reloading trays?

For .308 I use the disposable plastic trays that .45 ACP come in. I have a metric buttload from qualification/training at the department and .308 are a perfect fit.

9mm trays work well for .223 and can be found at the range usually.

I have never actually bought any trays since I have enough plastic trays to last 20 years at least.

I use the universal and have never had a problem but I prefer the perfect fit ones, I have just never gone out of my way to get them. You'll have fewer on hand if you get the universal.

I use the universal trays for applying spray lube and nothing more. Then use the perfect fit after that for clean brass. Mostly because when I put the funnel in I don't have to worry about tipping the brass over. If I had none and buying some, I'd buy just perfect fit trays and use them for everything. I think the brand I have is Frankford Arsenal.

If your just loading for 1 caliber, then get the perfect fit. If you load for 308/30-06 size cases and magnum cases, get the magnum one's and the 308/30-06 size will still fit, but a little loose. They are cheap, so you can always get several!

I made mine using a 3/8" forstner bit and a drill press. Laid out on three 8" X 8" X 1.5" square blocks of mahogany, left over from a job, I have stable and good looking loading blocks that work well for my purposes.

Loading blocks never even appeared on my list of things to buy.

I'll have to try that too, queequeg. Though, I don't currently have any Forstner bits and one would probably cost more than a loading block anyway.

I used the MTM universal trays for years and recently tried the FA perfect fit tray. The perfect fit tray feels too small and precise to me. The cases are too close together and I find this makes it harder for me to use than the universal fit. It is too easy to jostle adjacent cases and spill grains of powder from the cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have to try that too, queequeg. Though, I don't currently have any Forstner bits and one would probably cost more than a loading block anyway. </div></div>

The forstner gives you the flatest cut but there are variations of brad boint bits that leave a flat bottom as well.

ETA-Here is a shot of my loading blocks and my unruly work area
grin.gif

DSCF3763.jpg
[/quote]

I prefer the custom wooden ones. But I also have several of the MTM one tray fits all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For .308 I use the disposable plastic trays that .45 ACP come in. I have a metric buttload from qualification/training at the department and .308 are a perfect fit.

9mm trays work well for .223 and can be found at the range usually.

I have never actually bought any trays since I have enough plastic trays to last 20 years at least. </div></div>

THIS, Im cheap. 308 and 45 use the same shell holder so I used the same plastic divider. It works, I usually only use half the block any ways doing a 3 in one row 2 in the next pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have to try that too, queequeg. Though, I don't currently have any Forstner bits and one would probably cost more than a loading block anyway. </div></div>

The forstner gives you the flatest cut but there are variations of brad boint bits that leave a flat bottom as well.

ETA-Here is a shot of my loading blocks and my unruly work area
grin.gif

DSCF3763.jpg
</div></div>
[/quote]

FINALLY somebody posted a picture of a real reloading set up that looks like it is actualy used instead of a Better Homes and Gardens picture.
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I've got a buddy that works for an independent medical lab that gets me the styrofoam trays that the new test tubes come in. They work great and have fit everything I have loaded from 223 to 280 rem. They should fit the belted mags as well. They are washable and disposable and hold 100 cartridges. Never had a case tip in one yet. I use 1 tray per stage of loading and use them to keep all the brass in the same stage together. Easier for me to remember what has been sized, or primed, just tumbled, or ready to dump powder and seat bullets in. If you know anybody that works in a hospital or healthcare lab environment, they are usually thrown away after they start using the tubes from them. Here's a picture of them in the background.
PICT0032.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the universal trays for applying spray lube and nothing more. Then use the perfect fit after that for clean brass. Mostly because when I put the funnel in I don't have to worry about tipping the brass over. If I had none and buying some, I'd buy just perfect fit trays and use them for everything. I think the brand I have is Frankford Arsenal.</div></div>

This matches me too. Once you use the perfect fit trays from Sinclair it's hard to go back to the RCBS universal ones that stuff rattles in and around.

Queequeg, I have a question for you - How do you get those holes drilled in perfect alignment like that? Even if I lay things out with a ruler, I never get perfect holes like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Queequeg, I have a question for you - How do you get those holes drilled in perfect alignment like that? Even if I lay things out with a ruler, I never get perfect holes like that. </div></div>

Lay the lines out first then mark the centers of each on the block, set the depth of your drill press to the desired depth, and proceed. As said before, I use forstner bits for mine, but other bits will suffice as long as the bottom of the cut is flat. These particular blocks are 11 X 11 (holes that is, totalling 121). I never got around to putting any kind of uerethane or lacquer on them; as you can see my bench reflects a certain lack of urgency in some areas.
grin.gif

My tumbler hasn't fallen yet (7 years in that location!) but theres always the first time!

Thanks Doc!

I am a cheap bastard and use ammo trays from pistol ammo . Trays from 45 acp works for 308 size stuff and 9mm for 223 .
I see I'm not the only one .