• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unknown cause of pitting in Throat (pic)

Glckcmndr

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
I have seen my fair share of pitting down a barrel and general throat erosion, but I have never come upon anything quite like this. Anyone got any ideas as to cause? This is a 300 PRC barrel with exactly 373 rounds through it. There is nothing else anywhere throughout the chamber, or around the rest of the throat or length of the barrel. The rest of the barrel is pristine....

Attachments

• 300 prc.jpg
    300 prc.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: pfl338
Brand blank? I do not have an answer, however I just had a 6GT barrel go tits up after 600 rounds. Lakebed, pitting, looked like it had 6k on it. My barrel smith replaced it. It was not run hard, Berger 105s at 2990 with 32.5 of N150. All in the throat, rest of barrel looked fine. My smith had no answers either. Real head scratcher. I went to RL15.5 now. Not sure if it was a bad barrel or a powder issue.

Brand blank? I do not have an answer, however I just had a 6GT barrel go tits up after 600 rounds. Lakebed, pitting, looked like it had 6k on it. My barrel smith replaced it. It was not run hard, Berger 105s at 2990 with 32.5 of N150. All in the throat, rest of barrel looked fine. My smith had no answers either. Real head scratcher. I went to RL15.5 now. Not sure if it was a bad barrel or a powder issue.
I would rather not post who the maker is until they have had a chance to look at it and give their opinion. I work in the industry and I cant stand people posting stuff without knowing all the facts that they can first. I will say this, its a TOP tier manufacturer that I would not expect to have bad steel.... but that is what I am thinking

Is it possible your looking at a spot that has carbon build up with chunks of the carbon pitted?

Is it possible your looking at a spot that has carbon build up with chunks of the carbon pitted?
Unfortunately, no, these are deep pits. like what I have seen on a breach face with punctured primers.

E4DF69A4-A403-464A-87F2-E37D06498E27.jpeg
Did you ever figure this out?

This is my proof carbon chambered in 308win. Less than 100 rounds through it. It wasn’t grouping as well as it normally does this past weekend. Broke out the ol idiot scope when I got home and had a mild panic attack. The barrel is of course in damn good shape everywhere else. Just that one spot in the freebore.

Attachments

• E9EA6579-320D-4FF9-A889-2F8BE319F91A.jpeg
    E9EA6579-320D-4FF9-A889-2F8BE319F91A.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 71
Why do you think this isn't normal? I have a 6.5 barrel that has one spot that is worse then what your picture is showing, more rounds down the pipe though.
WIN_20220227_13_59_48_Pro.jpg

Why do you think this isn't normal? I have a 6.5 barrel that has one spot that is worse then what your picture is showing, more rounds down the pipe though.View attachment 7833385
Just unexpected with a low easy round count in a non-overbore cartridge. If it becomes a real issue I’ll see if it can be set back. Proof said it was from moisture damage or leaving solvent in the barrel neither of which have occurred as this was only the second time to clean it with solvent. First was following their break in instructions.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Just unexpected with a low easy round count in a non-overbore cartridge. If it becomes a real issue I’ll see if it can be set back. Proof said it was from moisture damage or leaving solvent in the barrel neither of which have occurred as this was only the second time to clean it with solvent. First was following their break in instructions.
How did you clean it?

I have seen my fair share of pitting down a barrel and general throat erosion, but I have never come upon anything quite like this. Anyone got any ideas as to cause? This is a 300 PRC barrel with exactly 373 rounds through it. There is nothing else anywhere throughout the chamber, or around the rest of the throat or length of the barrel. The rest of the barrel is pristine....
Almost looks as if there was porosity/voids in the parent material and the surface gave way. Edges do not seem rounded or worn as if heat or some type of corrosive agent was used. Looks "flaked". I have seen this in mill runs of materials on occasion, though rare, and never have seen it in a barrel blank. Curious as what your barrel maker has to say on this one.

How did you clean it?
The first time? Per their instructions. Wet patch after 3 shots and cool, dry patches until bore dry, shoot more, repeat. It never did copper foul any so I stopped at round two of the procedure. This issue had to occur in the last 6mo or so. The break in occurred in early 2019 and I’ve scoped it yearly. It’s a hunting rifle so I’m not out banging away at the range. The barrel never had any issues so I’ve just dry patched it and followed up with a light oil patch after firing before putting it away in the safe for storage.

Picture here after a dry patch before cleaning.

Attachments

• 6BCB338E-9E12-4CBB-9449-9A8A5B102CA7.jpeg
    6BCB338E-9E12-4CBB-9449-9A8A5B102CA7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
...or bad steel chemistry. Unless the barrel smith made the steel they are blameless. Looks like bad steel to me.

VooDoo

Reactions: pfl338