• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Unknown Distance Matches ?

7mmMato

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2019
I will be shooting at the Hornady Precision Match in August. You will have 4 minutes to spot, range and shoot 4 targets at unknown distances. How should a person do this. Find, Range, calculate each target and then shoot them? Or find the first target and dope it and shoot then move onto the next target? Or will it be depending on the setup. Thanks

Here's a thread about a different match, but there is a lot of great info there that may help

I will be shooting at the Hornady Precision Match in August. You will have 4 minutes to spot, range and shoot 4 targets at unknown distances. How should a person do this. Find, Range, calculate each target and then shoot them? Or find the first target and dope it and shoot then move onto the next target? Or will it be depending on the setup. Thanks

I would locate all 4, range them and record on your dope book. Then dope all 4 and shoot. That should be your most efficient use of time.

But also, yes read that thread he linked. A huge wealth of information.

Reactions: Dburns and 7mmMato
I have a laminated paper dope sheet with wind calls in 4mph increments. I also have a blank area that I can make a hasty range sketch of the targets. I Find them first, make a very rudimentary sketch so I can reference target location, write my dope, then shoot. I don’t have enough time to mess with a phone or kestrel. The time elapses super fast.

Have dope card on rifle or arm in 50yd increments.

Range target, write distance, range next, write distance, etc.

If you need to, write down landmark so you can find the target when on the rifle. Get on target, look at range/dope, dial it to nearest 25yd (cut dope in half, say target is 230. Dope for 200 is 1.2 and 250 is 1.6, dial 1.4).......shoot target and move to next.

So, you’ll be on glass for a min or two finding/ranging/writing, and then on the rifle finding/dialing/shooting.

I'll be going to the match to. I have binos with a built in LRF that displays dope from a Garmin 701. I plan to setup the tripod if necessary and then start ranging. And budget 1.5-2 min max to get as far as possible but hopefully finding all 4. I’ll be writing down the dope on my wrist board

Then get on the gun and try to collect some points.

Back up is to have a page on the wrist board with hard data in case the electronics don’t work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7mmMato
I have binos with a built in LRF that displays dope from a Garmin 701. I plan to setup the tripod if necessary and then start ranging. And budget 1.5-2 min max to get as far as possible hopefully all 4. I’ll be writing down the dope on my wrist board

Then get on the gun and try to collect some points.

Back up is to have a page on the wrist board with hard data in case the electronics don’t work out.
What Binos are you using?

Reactions: 7mmMato