• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

unsafe reloader?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I was told that I'm a lazy and unsafe reloader because i don't obsess over books/data recently. How many people load like i do and work just fine?

I just load 308's for my bolt rifle. I make sure brass is sized correctly (even anneal, damnt), load off of published max's from -10% until I start seeing pressure signs. If i even get that far. OCW usually kick sin well before that max for me. The only real research/reading i do on reloading is pretty much forums (this forum) driven. I will work on OCW and OGIVE lengths in load development, but never really put a second though into whatever happens to be in all those reloading books. I don't own a single one.

What i don't do is read reloading manuals or use programs. I couldn't tell you what the case pressure was in anything i load. But i can tell you it doesn't show pressure signs in my rig and is very accurate. Is that really unsafe? What am i missing by not reading through "the manuals"?

Re: unsafe reloader?

Well, that would make 2 of us 'unsafe'.

I have a book, but that is to reference when I can't remember trim-to length or something like that.

Get a Lyman manual and read it; there's a lot of good info in there.

Without knowledge from a manual (or plenty of experience), how do you know the info posted in these threads on the net are good info or plain BS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Lyman manual and read it; there's a lot of good info in there.

Without knowledge from a manual (or plenty of experience), how do you know the info posted in these threads on the net are good info or plain BS?

</div></div>

well, i usually pull up specs on case length that goes with my dies. ie, the lee set has saami case lengths. i use that for overall length of case to stay away from trouble. but shoulder length gets worried about (read annealed and bumped) when it get hard to load. For power data, i buy varget and benchrest. they have max suggested loads on the label. i cut that by 10% and start working on ocw. if something flaky starts showing i back off. What is in the manuals? maybe it something I'm looking up anyway but didnt buy a book?

I have a few manuals that I will reference data I gather online, but I don't use them for anything else.

Sounds like you are safe. The tech/toy guys think you have to do everyhting by the book, with every gadet out there. Stay safe and shoot straight.

Count me and 99% of this forum among the un-safe then.

Whoever told you that is just too stupid to think for themselves.

cool. thanks for the replies. i was thinking that i was really missing something big here. i feel better now. I like having eyes and stuff.

The main reason the manuals exist, besides giving people a place to start, is for Health & Safety reasons. Its good to read the manual so that you avoid over pressure, badly loaded rounds and avoid catastrophic events such as destroyed rifles, injury and possibly fatality in an extreme case.

Experienced handloaders have still been known to have a momentary lapse and shit has hit the fan, so regardless of experience, you need solid principles and respect for the dangers.

You don't need a manual to get loads but you need some sort of industry standard that has been tested to at least what the maximum pressures are for that bullet/powder combination for that case. You can go online to any of the powder manufacturers and see what they recommend. Assuming you know the basics of what to do and not to do with loading itself you can load right from the info posted, by all means less at least 5 percent or possibly 10. A lot of these guys are pushing the limits of safe pressures, but they worked up to it in there gun and chamber and know it's safe, your gun might be different. And when you overpressure one and lock the action up, or break the bolt handle off getting it open, or rip the rim off the case its a lot of trouble and ruins your day at the range, believe me, we have all done it!

<span style="color: #FF0000">maximum pressures are for that bullet/powder combination for that case</span>

ah, maybe that is he missing piece. Pressure on case for individual manufacturer. Since i never read that, if I'm loading -10% of max on powder label, would it be safe to assume I'm under case pressure?

I.m not a new reloader, I'm just getting back into it after a long off period. Doing only rifle now in the quest for the perfect round... yeah i know... Mostly did pistol ammo before and reloaded rifle with someone else that reloaded a lot. Used his press anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told that I'm a lazy and unsafe reloader because i don't obsess over books/data recently. How many people load like i do and work just fine? </div></div>

Well, as usual, those that aren't "readers" tend to miss the whole point of the message.

I don't think you are doing anything unsafe and perhaps not even lazy? What you miss is a rich background in the whole enchilada, and if you don't need it, who am I to say different? But, I bet those of us that have read these manuals cover to cover have accumulated a lot more knowledge, kind of a PhD in handloading theory and practice. Being short on knowledge is not something to crow about. But, whatever blows your skirt up....

Hey, it don't matter to me. You know what you are doing which is;
le provocateur.

edit: of course, I don't know who might have accused you of being unsafe, etc. Just a generic response, ya know?

There is an amazing amount of information that has been carefully hidden in books. Reading is FUNdamental.

"But i can tell you it doesn't show pressure signs in my rig and is very accurate. "

Sounds like you know what you're doing, don't sweat it. You don't need to be an 'expert' in everything, just know what you're actually loading for. (And I own about 20 manuals plus a lot of data pamphlets.)

A lot of people agonize over finding specific book data for a specific bullet and OAL and case brand and powder lot and primer brand without a clue that simply using a different rig to shoot it in changes things more than anything else in a book load. Reading more books won't add a thing for the safety of a guy who doesn't know what he's doing and it helps nothing if he does. ??

Reloading manuals are just that... manuals. I see them as recipe books, and safety guidelines. But, just like any good chef, a little experimentation can yield a great dish. Too bad I mostly serve up soup.

I check manuals for starting loads and thats about it. My rifle tells me everything else I need to know.

Guess I'm another of the "unsafe" but I will add that I think new reloaders should follow the book data when starting out. After you've loaded 10 or 100's of thousands of rounds you kinda get an idea of what you're doing and have learned what to be aware of in your loading process. Well, hopefully you have by then. Lots of good info in the books and not sure if powder has changed or lawyers have made the writers/publishers that print the reloading manuals safer but the powder charges do seem to be a lot lower now than some of my bookw from the 70's and even the 80's.

New reloaders always seem to want the fastest velocity they can get in any round they load for and forget that shooting accurately isn't like racing where the fastest wins, it's the most accurate that will usually take home the bacon. When in doubt always start on the lower end and work up since there are a lot of factors that can affect a reloaded round.

Topstrap

Starting 10% below published max loads and working up? OCW and seating depth testing? Nothing unsafe here.

OFG

i read all the instructions in the manual because i had no experience reloading other than watching my dad do it when i was a kid. i'm glad i did because i learned a lot (still ask him for advice from time to time though)

How would you learn what powders/charges to use without referencing a manual or relying on someone else who has done the same? Are you saying the "internet" or your buddies are better source of this information? I assume you are getting a starting point for loads from somewhere....wouldn't manual be the best place?

I don't know anyone who "obsesses" over reloading manuals, but I also don't know anyone who tells me they never use a manual. Personally, I place a lot of value on my eyesight and don't consider it too much work to reference a manual when working up a new load. I hope the people shooting next to me feel the same way...

I always review my handloading manuals when I'm getting ready to develop a load for a chambering, to verify published limits for the given bullet and powder.

I then do a simple ladder test with one round per increment to verify pressures signs relative to published load limits.

I need to determine a degree of comfort about safety limits and how they compare under my own unique circumstances before I embark on establishing an upper and lower charge range and selecting increments. For me the limits are about safety, yes; but they are even more important to me from a bore/throat wear consideration.

I try to refrain from rendering judgements about others' handloads and procedures. Our guns are always different.

Greg

I have my share of manuals also, probably don't referrence them enough.
I use them for trim length's, maybe to get an idea what powder to use, but most likely not.

A few of us around here were shootng 6.5x47's using Vihta Vuori N 550 with 123 scenars, and 130 Bergers, long before VV expanded it's load data book earlier this year. We didn't consider it a safty issue becuase no data was published.

When I built my first 7mm Saum, I used Norma MRP-2 powder, based on a freinds recommendation, it worked with a 175 Berger XLD. Find some published data on that one!

A freind built a 7 Saum, we were trying to find a load for the 180 hybrid, MRP-2 wasn't getting any velocity, we grabbed a can of VV N570, bingo, it was there. Now by just a trial, there is a handful of us running N 570 with heavy Berger's, find some data on that combo also.

I also had a .338 Snipetac, find any published data on that one. Kirby Allen or Dave Veirs might help you with some of their findings. I started with H-50BMG, wasn't happy, tried US869, don't do that. Finaly settled on VV20N29 with 300 Berger, I don't think many are running this combo either.

In short, a reloading manual is barely a guideline for me. And one thing I won't take seriously in a manual is the "Most accurate load" for a cartridge. The burn rate chart's comes in handy, but Hodgdon's website, and reloadbench's are way more complete, and up to date.

I don't know if I should label myself unsafe, or pat myself on the back for being a Pioneer.
wink.gif

Some manuals are pretty nice, actually tell u load density of a particular powder charge wt in the different cartridges, nosler for example. The info in the front half a manual is pretty good stuff to know, die set up,pics of overpressure signs. Alot of people on the web see a knarly looking primer strike and think " I have primer flow", but they don't relize their factory boltface/ fp hole is the culprit not pressure. If u ever wildcat a cartridge having a load manual handing to see what powders would be optimal for a new case designis as easy as finding a similar case capacity and caliber standard cartridge and using that powder minus 10 percent. Sierra manuals are full of good info. I use the hodgdon annual reloading magazine. I find their max loads are more real world then the others. Just my .02

I was called an unsafe loader once by my uncle who reloads, since I don't use the published max load and instead, work up to my max load (usually a grain or two above book max and still safe). Even after seeing the raw performance of my rounds in terms of accuracy and velocity, he still insists that my rifle is going to blow up on me somehow.

I guess I'm one of the Unsafe Crowd too. Over 40 years of loading and shooting but only own one book. A few years back I picked up a copy of Lee's 2nd Edition just for it's load database. Use only to find a starting point and then build my own loads. Isn't that what reloading is all about? The experimentation?

I know a lot of reloaders that won't touch a new load without a weeks worth of research and reading. Funny thing, I've not had a gun blow up on me and more than one of those I know that are "book loaders" have ruined a rifle or two.

What ever did we do before there were books? Internal Ballistic's programs? Forums? I believe we all just went out and experimented, using common sense, and read what happened on the targets. What a concept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you learn what powders/charges to use without referencing a manual or relying on someone else who has done the same? Are you saying the "internet" or your buddies are better source of this information? I assume you are getting a starting point for loads from somewhere....wouldn't manual be the best place?
</div></div>

well so far on rifles i use the labels and data published by the powder makers. I only load one caliber nowadays. and i load soft at that. Not working towards any kind of max. But i do load incrementally while im looking for a good load and watch for any signs of pressure. i have yet to get any so i must be loading REALLY soft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told that I'm a lazy and unsafe reloader because i don't obsess over books/data recently. How many people load like i do and work just fine? </div></div>

**edited for size**
Hey, it don't matter to me. You know what you are doing which is;
le provocateur.

</div></div>

not trying to be la provocateur and apologize to anyone who thinks thats what this is. I dont come to this forum to start shit. Lol, dont go to any forum for that. Most of my friends dont reload anymore and i was kind of taken aback by the vehemence coming out of the persons mouth. was flamed pretty hard for my procedure even though it sounds like everyone else's procedure. Sans Books of course. I believe what you are saying bout being the expert, but im not a pioneer, im just cheap and want good ammo. If i was going to load a wildcat or something special im sure that i would invest quite a lot of time into research on that round. Thanks for the input.

Apologies. You said, and you know that you aren't doing anything wrong, and you don't have much time for reading. I said also: " What you miss is a rich background in the whole enchilada, and if you don't need it, who am I to say different?"

All I was driving at is that there are some people that read history and some that don't read anything; my son for instance read one baseball book in his whole life and managed to do a book report on that book every year he was in school. Which I find humorous, but there are readers and there are people that don't like to read.

In your case, apparently, you use if for reference, go to page XX and look up a starting load for powder "A" and close the book. Other people are fascinated about the development, what parent cartridges were involved and who was the developer, a person or a company. I don't know, to me I find that stuff interesting and for others, (like my son) he wouldn't read the whole page if I held a gun to his head. (okay, bad example)

But, I made no judgement about safety, only lamented the fact that fewer and fewer people read anymore, if it ain't on TV, it ain't worthwhile.

But, I think you knew the type of conversation and response you would get.
BB

I know loads I learned from my father as a kid reloading for his gunshop. These won't ever change as they are proven winners for me. Too old to change.

Now for the new accuracy loads I'm working on I'm using new manuals for powders not available years agao. Powders that are probably far more accurate than the old standbys. At least it looks that way to me from what the BR and Comp shooters are findind.

So I guess I'm both.

ETA: Changed to enhance readability!

Do what you want, who cares what other people say. Have some confidence in yourself and enough self esteem to be proud of doing things your way. What you do doesn't affect me and the way I do things shouldn't influence you.

With the advent of the internet, the reloading manual has become something of a dinosaur- or maybe a Coelacanth. Hodgdon, Barnes, Nosler, among others publish reloading information for their products- FREE OF CHARGE- on their websites. If you know the "how tos" of reloading, then there really is no need to have a manual- conditional on having an internet connection. And, the manuals that I have- Hornandy, Barnes, Speer- do not do a very good job with the how tos. I found that <span style="text-decoration: underline">The ABCs of Reloading</span> explained "how to reload" better than the manuals. Of course, if you are using bullets whose manufacturers do not publish data for (Speer and Berger come to mind) I would recommend having their manuals on hand. That being said, internet forums are full of conflicting information- on everything (not just reloading). And, picking up and using someone else's pet load can be dangerous. I like to have the manuals on hand so that I don't have to drag the computer into the garage.

Coffee%20Mug%20-%20Far%20Side%20No%20Size%20Restrictions.jpg

No more load books ---
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Screw</span> registered SAAMI max average pressure.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Screw</span> registered SAAMI min chamber neck size.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Screw</span> registered SAAMI min belted magnum minimum head space.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Screw</span> sizer dies with tiny necks.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Screw</span> expander balls.

And I climbed to the top of a mountain without a stairway and rail that met the building code.

And I built a house by towing the materials with a vehicle rated by the manufacturer for zero towing weight.

None of the information you have listed is proprietary to a physical manual. It can all be found on line. For example, SAAMI Specifications.

Farside_-_Dinosaurs_Snowing.gif

Look, I can post others' witty cartoons too...

The Stegosaurus was late Jurassic to early Cretaceous periods.
Early mammals were mouse like until after then end of the Cretaceous period. That cartoon is ~ 40 million years off.
You will not learn that stuff in school. You must read bed time books to pre-school kids.

I keep reading on reloading forums that guys who load hot will die and it is Darwinian. Yet I never see hot load caused deaths, but I have noticed many gun forums go extinct. Often caused by tyrannical moderators enforcing load book fundamentalism.

Hot load deaths and poisoned Halloween candy deaths are just myths.

Like Remington 700s that are well-built.

Things change with time. I've probably been handloading for about two decades by now, and have several different editions of some manuals. They sometimes disagree.

There can be several reasaons to take the book with a grain of salt, and that's just one of the good ones.

Good handloading requires good judgement, some reasonable caution, and genuine attention to detail. If something doesn't make sense, stop and clear up the doubt. Handloading mistakes don't need to happen.

Remember, when you're working with serious potential energies and personal injury is among the possible outcomes, prudent caution has to be the order of the day.

My memory is highly fallible. Any loads I make up are bagged, labelled, and each case is marked with a unique color Sharpie symbols (sometimes it's just the charge increment weight) that corrsponds with the tag/label. Unfired test loads are broken back down to basic components. After load development, I still tag my production batches with labels denoting all components, and swipe the case bases with permanent marker, so salvaged brass ends up in the right bags by batch. When I encounter loads with no acompanying data, I use the collet puller and break the loads back down to components. Unidentified propellents are baggsd with source data and approximate charge weights that were encountered. If the origin cannot be resolved, I use the powder for fertilizer. I won't shoot a load that I can't reasonably identify. I take chances every day, but not with ammunition; the potentil costs don't compute favorably.

Greg

The fact that some manuals disagree is exactly why, when I research starting loads for a new acquisition, I thumb through ALL of them and try to reach a consensus.

There is also a case to be made for keeping all the old editions on the shelf, which is, some cartridges come and go in popularity and what was a hot little number back in the day is not even listed in edition number 8 or 10. I just think it's good reference material to keep a hard copy. A book will outlast a hard drive where all your precious data is stored. Not trying to change any minds, I'm sure that won't happen.
BB

Buzz before I begin I'm not busting your balls but simply bringing a point from a literally new reloaders perspective. I literally just set up my first press yesterday. So don't take it personal Buzz...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your case, apparently, you use if for reference, go to page XX and look up a starting load for powder "A" and close the book. Other people are fascinated about the development, what parent cartridges were involved and who was the developer, a person or a company. I don't know, to me I find that stuff interesting and for others, (like my son) he wouldn't read the whole page if I held a gun to his head. (okay, bad example)
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you are doing anything unsafe and perhaps not even lazy? What you miss is a rich background in the whole enchilada, and if you don't need it, who am I to say different? But, I bet those of us that have read these manuals cover to cover have accumulated a lot more knowledge, kind of a PhD in handloading theory and practice.
</div></div>

When you fired your first weapon, did you read a manual or did someone show you? How about when you drove your first car? Both can kill you if done wrong, but you don't need to read a book in order to do it right. Experience is the GREATEST teacher of all time. You can read a book on the history of the engine and how to rebuild it, but can most read a Chiltons then turn around a rebuild an engine in their garage? Some people enjoy technical reading and learn well from it, then there's others like myself. I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner which means my knowledge comes mostly from the physical application as opposed to the visual aid.

To the OP...
I spent several reloading sessions with very qualified reloaders and friends learning the application, techniques, and fundamentals. They worked with me loading 50+ rounds from beginning to the final seating and I was able to get hands on training which exceeds any manual on "how to". When some dipshit at the range who's probably in his 60's and suffering from old crab syndrome starts vomiting the normal crotchety obscenities of disgruntlement remind them that it's 2012 and there's more to the internet than their facebook account the grand-kids set up for them or to send the same political commentary e-mail that's been regurgitated over the last decade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner which means my knowledge comes mostly from the physical application as opposed to the visual aid.
</div></div>

So, where did you learn to have sex, was it from kinesthetic learning and physical application?

Or did you get your hands on a fuck book like the rest of us?

Your 50 rounds of hands on loading should just about cover any situation you will ever encounter while reloading, good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner which means my knowledge comes mostly from the physical application as opposed to the visual aid.
</div></div>

So, where did you learn to have sex, was it from kinesthetic learning and physical application?

Your 50 rounds of hands on loading should just about cover any situation you will ever encounter while reloading, good luck. </div></div>

I never said it would. When I have questions I call my friends who's knowledge is far more vast then mine or I research online. And I said most, not only.

Add: So Milo, are you implying that by reading manuals I'll then be prepared for "any situation you will ever encounter while reloading"?

Broker,
Honestly yes, and no.

If you were to follow what a manual tells you to do to the T, you probably would never need assistance.

But with today's, Berger bullets, different chamber reamers, etc.. No manual could cover it all.

If you read the whole thread, I posted earlier that I'm not a reader either.
I just didn't like your last paragraph, hence my post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broker,
Honestly yes, and no.

If you were to follow what a manual tells you to do to the T, you probably would never need assistance.

But with today's, Berger bullets, different chamber reamers, etc.. No manual could cover it all.

If you read the whole thread, I posted earlier that I'm not a reader either.
I just didn't like your last paragraph, hence my post. </div></div>

No worries. I must have missed it. I tried to summarize a lot in a little, and I wasn't trying to stir up my normal trouble. I did work alongside with my friends in prepping a lot of brass. I'm new to all of it and excited to start doing load development. I can understand needing to know certain info in order to maintain safety. I just think it's erroneous for some guys to think that can only be done through a manual and not conversation which to me is the same as application. I just wanted to give my opinion from the FNG perspective, so don't take any of it personal
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a fuck book </div></div>

I heard that expression come back from Nam.

40 some years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a fuck book </div></div>

I heard that expression come back from Nam.

40 some years ago. </div></div>
Yup, that's when I first saw one.

Reloading can be risky. Can be. It should not be taken on by those who are afraid of experimentation, flirting with danger, or loud noises. If eschewing book formulae and recipes frightens you, then you are hardly scratching the surface on the possibility of handloading your own ammunition. Books are edited by lawyers to eliminate and compesate for every potential variable to reduce or circumvent any possibility of risk, and especially any liability to the company publishing said data. You can see how limiting this might be to the handloader that is confined within these margins when so much information might be left out; information that when dealt with safely usually results in higher levels of performance and increasing returns on outcomes up to the point of crossing the risk threshold. Typically the point of diminishing returns is reached before the point of risk, but how are we to find that point - to know our limits - unless we find them first? What kind of experience is based on no experience at all?

Factory ammunition and book loads are quite like a racing engine: Car companies keep performance of an engine relatively docile compared to its potential in order to extract 200K+ mileage out of it; but in a racing engine that is only required to go 500 miles at WFO, certain liberties can be taken to extract better performance at the cost of longevity within a narrower set of requirements. The same analogy can be applied to your ammunition: certain compromises have been made to promote YOUR longevity and ensure usability across broad potential requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner which means my knowledge comes mostly from the physical application as opposed to the visual aid.
</div></div>

Thank you Milo. That's the funniest stuff I've heard in a while.

Your 50 rounds of hands on loading should just about cover any situation you will ever encounter while reloading, good luck.</div></div>

The handgun cartridges I have overloaded in work ups just to see what happens:
25acp
32acp
32 S&W
32 S&W Long
32-20
7.62x25mm
30 Mauser
380 [9x17]
9mm [9x19]
9x23mm
257 Sig
38 S&W
38 Special
357 mag
40 S&W
10mm
10.4mm
45acp

The rifle cartridges I have overloaded to see what happens:
19 Badger
6mmBR
25-35
257RAI
257RAIR
7mmRM
30-30
30-06
7.62x39
7.62x54R
8v57
45 Colt
45acp

Cartridges I load, but have not overloaded yet:
22-250
6.5x55
303 Sav
303 Brit
300WM
300 Sav
7.5 Swiss
338WM
44 mag
50CB
12 ga

What have I learned?
Most of SAAMI registered pressures and cartridge dimensions are silly, but esteemed by load books, internet reloading forum posters, and some gunsmiths like the information came down from the mountain with Mosses.

And yet, there is SOME some useful information there.