• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unsticking a stuck bullet

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
It happened to me today, 4 rounds into a 60 round match. The long wooden dowel I keep in the car for just such an occurrence, then broke off, right at the muzzle; leaving the barrel full of bullet and wood. Got it out and "Charlie Mike".

Suggestions? Plastic, wood or cold rolled steel rod? Or just a good 'ol Dewey?

To clarify, only the bullet was stuck in the lands, not a loaded cartridge or fired piece of brass.

Alan

Re: Unsticking a stuck bullet

If you have the dowel stuck in the barrel, do not pound it, if the case is stuck and requires force to get it out, you will compact the dowel in the barrel, by expanding it, then your screwed....ask me how I know
wink.gif

The dowel was the worst suggestion I ever heard of, cost me $475.

Remove the brass from the action end, using a stuck case remover, and the push the dowel out with a rod from the breech end.

If you dont have the tools, try to make them, or bring it to a smith, you could cost yourself alot of cash and headaches, over something the right tool will fix in minutes.

"Unsticking a stuck bullet"

Sounds like he has a stuck bullet not a stuck case, or is he referring to the entire cartridge as a "bullet"?

If the bullet was jammed into the lands by loading the round in the chamber and was then left behind by extracting and ejecting the case then simply pushing a cleaning round down the muzzle should have dropped the bullet, no pounding should even be necessary.

If you fired a squib load then you have another problem.

If you have a fully loaded cartridge stuck in the chamber do not pound anything down the muzzle to remove it unless you want to take a chance of that round going off and killing you. Get professional help if this is the case.

If you can fully close the bolt and you are confident the powder charge is good, simply point the rifle in a safe direction and fire it. The case will form to the chamber and you can extract the case.

If just a bullet, as you have stated, Just tap it out with a rod. No biggie, had to do it a few times myself.

I have used the Dewey trick and it works great with a little care not to rough up the crown.