• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unusual Feed Issue, Have Searched, Bergara Premier AICS

rlarsen462

Casual Observer
Minuteman
  • Sep 12, 2019
    So I'm finally stumped to the point I figured I'd run this by the experts. Have searched everywhere but nothing seems to discuss my particular issue.

I have a Bergara Premier Long Range (discontinued in 2019, but the action is the same as every Bergara Premier that rifle just had a different stock) in 308 which is experiencing a feed issue which I thought I understood and had the fix for (notching the feed ramp) but now am totally stumped by.

The rifle shoots great, 0.3 MOA was the included target (3 shots) when I bought it, and during break in even with my mediocre skills I was shooting 0.75 pretty easily on 5 shot groups. This was with 168gr FGMM factory ammo, which is the only ammo I've been troubleshooting the feed issue with also.

The first day out, it would feed every round from the mag smoothly except the second to last round, wherein the bolt would hang about 1/3 of the way to the chamber, on the next (last) round in the magazine, the round being loaded would then continue moving forward loose under momentum slightly when the bolt abruptly stopped. If I eased pressure off the bolt or pulled it slightly back, the round in the magazine would snap back up and then the bolt could proceed forward and lock the stripped round into the chamber (leaving the last round in the magazine).

All I currently have are Magpul AICS 5 & 10 round magainzes, although I have some 10 round MDT magazines coming.

I initially thought (as I could see a very slight overhang from the feed ramp through the magazine when I removed the internals) that the feed ramp needed to be slightly notched, and since I measured my chamber with the OAL gauge as needing ~2.95" I knew when I started loading I would need to relieve the ramp anyway, I went ahead and did that carefully with a sanding drum on a dremel (I know, but it came out fine).

Surprisingly, the issue persists, almost worse than before (sometimes it will now hang on the 3rd to last round instead of the 2nd to last), and upon inspection I realized the rounds were never hitting the feed ramp at all in the first place, the round under the stripped round was nosing down into the front of the plastic mag, and then sticking there, with the case head seemingly catching on the recess in the bolt where the bolt head pin is inserted, when the round in the mag noses down as the stripped round clears it.

I have tried loosening the bottom metal (and lowering the mag manually as long as I can to where the bolt is still able to contact/strip the top round), and nothing seems to prevent the issue where the bolt head pin recess catches the nose-down rounds casehead and jams going forward.

Does anyone have any further insight on how to troubleshoot this? I am hoping it's possibly just a mag issue, and I'll be able to sort it out with the MDT mags since I'll be able to adjust the feed lips, but the fact that I can't get this to stop hanging up even with the mag lowered as much as possible suggests there something else at play here.

Thanks in advance. Can post some pictures if needed to help visualize the issue, just let me know.

Did you contact Bergara? I have an LRP Elite in 308 and have had no such issue.

Did you contact Bergara? I have an LRP Elite in 308 and have had no such issue.
    I haven't yet, I planned to this week if I couldn't find a solution, or if the MDT/metal mags don't resolve it.

Similar issue in the same setup using ARC mags. About 1/3 of the time the rounds would nose dive and bind. The ARC mags seat even longer so I was hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. Part of the issue was the magazine so some filing to keep the front of the follower from binding and this partially resolved the issue. Secondly the bullet tips are seated quite long and hitting the bottom side of the feed ramp - I had some play here to slide the barreled action slightly forward (not quite 1/8 of an inch and I was able to shim the back side of the recoil lug as I didn't want to bed it. The issue is still there but much improved as I have not yet gotten to reshaping the feed ramp as you have. I've always had issues with the pmag as the sharp pointy tips seem to drag and bind on the front edge of the magazine and my COAL is always fairly long as well. If you ordered the MDT mags without the front strap you will have a similar situation as I have with the ARC mags, FYI.

Similar issue in the same setup using ARC mags. About 1/3 of the time the rounds would nose dive and bind. The ARC mags seat even longer so I was hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. Part of the issue was the magazine so some filing to keep the front of the follower from binding and this partially resolved the issue. Secondly the bullet tips are seated quite long and hitting the bottom side of the feed ramp - I had some play here to slide the barreled action slightly forward (not quite 1/8 of an inch and I was able to shim the back side of the recoil lug as I didn't want to bed it. The issue is still there but much improved as I have not yet gotten to reshaping the feed ramp as you have. I've always had issues with the pmag as the sharp pointy tips seem to drag and bind on the front edge of the magazine and my COAL is always fairly long as well. If you ordered the MDT mags without the front strap you will have a similar situation as I have with the ARC mags, FYI.

I did order the MDT mags without the binder plate so I could load longer to get closer to the lands (since I measured the lands at about 2.98, but I won't be able to load longer than 2.96 even with the no binder plate mags). I already took the feed ramp down a good 0.10"+ so I hopefully won't have any issues with the binder plate-less mags, and if I do I can just hit it with the sanding drum a little more as needed to open the clearance so more.

HOWEVER, as is typically the fashion, I solved this particular problem I was having with the bolt hanging up after finally giving up and posting here about it.

The bolt head pin hole on the bolt's fluted/SS section was very sharp and had no radius to it, and I was correct that this was what was hanging up on the round below the round being fed. Like a dumbass I never looked at the other Bergara Premier action (LA 300WM) that I owned, and the bolt head pin hole on that bolt was very clearly radiused/chamfered from the factory.

I disassembled the 308 bolt, and took a very fine round file and knocked down the sharp edge of the bolt head pin hole in the area it was contacting the round, reassembled, and it runs perfect and smooth now with no hangups.

My guess is, either this bolt somehow missed the radiusing step for that hole at the factory, or they started doing this process later on (since I believe this is 2018 or earlier build rifle and my 300WM is 2018 or 2019). I might call Bergara anyway, but since they wouldn't do anything other than knock down that edge the way I did, I consider this particular issue resolved.

EDIT: Attached a picture of the hole in question in case anyone needs to reference. I only knocked down the edge of the hole on the bottom that contacts the round, even though the 300WM bolt had a full radius around the holes on both sides of the bolt.

Bergara Premier Bolt Head Pin Hole.jpg

Reactions: ffjoey
    If possible please post some pics of the stoppages you're experiencing.

I'll try to stimulate the issue again to take some pics for future record, but note that I was able to solve the problem by lightly filing the sharp edge of the lower bolt head pin hole in the bolt.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
    I have one of these and will take a look at mine. I've not shot it as of yet.

I did order the MDT mags without the binder plate so I could load longer to get closer to the lands (since I measured the lands at about 2.98, but I won't be able to load longer than 2.96 even with the no binder plate mags). I already took the feed ramp down a good 0.10"+ so I hopefully won't have any issues with the binder plate-less mags, and if I do I can just hit it with the sanding drum a little more as needed to open the clearance so more.

HOWEVER, as is typically the fashion, I solved this particular problem I was having with the bolt hanging up after finally giving up and posting here about it.

The bolt head pin hole on the bolt's fluted/SS section was very sharp and had no radius to it, and I was correct that this was what was hanging up on the round below the round being fed. Like a dumbass I never looked at the other Bergara Premier action (LA 300WM) that I owned, and the bolt head pin hole on that bolt was very clearly radiused/chamfered from the factory.

I disassembled the 308 bolt, and took a very fine round file and knocked down the sharp edge of the bolt head pin hole in the area it was contacting the round, reassembled, and it runs perfect and smooth now with no hangups.

My guess is, either this bolt somehow missed the radiusing step for that hole at the factory, or they started doing this process later on (since I believe this is 2018 or earlier build rifle and my 300WM is 2018 or 2019). I might call Bergara anyway, but since they wouldn't do anything other than knock down that edge the way I did, I consider this particular issue resolved.

EDIT: Attached a picture of the hole in question in case anyone needs to reference. I only knocked down the edge of the hole on the bottom that contacts the round, even though the 300WM bolt had a full radius around the holes on both sides of the bolt.

View attachment 7549239

It's the PMAG's. Almost certain of it. Wait for your MDT mags and let us know what happens. My feeding issues went away when I stopped using those shitty plastic mags

It's the PMAG's. Almost certain of it. Wait for your MDT mags and let us know what happens. My feeding issues went away when I stopped using those shitty plastic mags

Ironically I would have expected to have more issues with the PMAGS on my 6.5 than my 308. Also, if you read my more recent posts above, I narrowed the issue to the bolt itself, and was able to completely correct the problem with some light filing/radiusing of the bolt head pin hole. My 300WM Bergara Premier action already came from the factory with those holes relieved, so I'm not sure why this one shipped with sharp edges in those spots, but it's fixed now at least.

I mainly bought the MDT mags (no binder plate) so I could run longer OAL's to match the measurements I made to the lands with the Hornady tool.

Ironically I would have expected to have more issues with the PMAGS on my 6.5 than my 308. Also, if you read my more recent posts above, I narrowed the issue to the bolt itself, and was able to completely correct the problem with some light filing/radiusing of the bolt head pin hole. My 300WM Bergara Premier action already came from the factory with those holes relieved, so I'm not sure why this one shipped with sharp edges in those spots, but it's fixed now at least.

I mainly bought the MDT mags (no binder plate) so I could run longer OAL's to match the measurements I made to the lands with the Hornady tool.
    Fair enough. Regardless, ditch those magpuls, I read on a bergara owners page on Facebook a couple years ago that bergara doesn't even recommend PMAG's because they cause feeding issues on their rifles, yet they still send them with them. My MDT mags run great.