• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Unusually Shaped Ladder Test

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I shot this ladder today at 200yds, don't think I ever saw this much horizontal before...wondering what to make of it?

The load is H4831sc and 162Amax out of a 7RM

P1020697.jpg

Re: Unusually Shaped Ladder Test

Trigger?

That ladder test itself is unusual. A ladder test is used to find a node. You need more rounds on paper - like groups at each powder charge. Besides, I don't see the point of a ladder test at 200 unless that's the farthest distance you have.

Could you elaborate on the trigger comment? Are you thinking trigger control, mechanical function, etc?

200 is all I have unless I travel and today there was not time. Haven't shot this gun in a number of years and wanted to do something with the 162Amax. Besides cabin fever is setting in.

Assuming that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rifle, perhaps you are not consistently pulling the trigger straight to the rear.

I would have to agree with Graham... the last time I saw horizontal like that (not due to wind), was before I learned to rest my thumb on the tang and keep my trigger finger at 90 deg. and pull straight back. Especially if it's a stiff trigger with some overtravel.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel could be getting hot </div></div>After ten rounds? The vertical is due to different powder charges (although he did yank one shot).

Thanks for the comments guys.

When I saw the horizontal, I suspected it was something I was doing. I attempt to use a 90deg trigger finger but I think doing so has also compromised my grip due to having to scoot my hand forward to get my finger into position. Basically this makes it so I am using the back side of the trigger guard as a support for my shooting hand. My instincts tell me this is part of the problem but I have not hit on the solution yet.

The rifle is mechanically sound and the bedding solid. Trigger is set at 2.75lbs with minimal creep.

If you haven't already, give Jason Baney's ladder test article a read: http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html...just as a general guideline to a really good way of doing it. I shoot 5 rounds of each load all at the same target (so a round robin of 35-40 rounds). If you color code each load's bullets you'll be able to tell them apart. Sharpies come in a variety of colors now so each can have it's own distinct color. (Only that brand worked for me...bought some Bics once and had to iron the target to try to decipher the colors).

one of two things....

Either a bedding job with a hot spot contacting the barrel. As the barrel heats up and swells it is pushing the shots further and further right.

OR

a loose nut on the trigger
wink.gif

I am thinking you should switch over to OCW. With only 200yds available, you don't have enough distance for a proper ladder. You aren't going to get the necessary vertical dispersion. Only do the OCW after you figure out what is causing that windage drift and can shoot a tight group (the more under 1moa the better).