• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update: 1st Rem700 .308 Build Finished - For now

Equitum

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
(For the update, scroll to the bottom of my post, or go to the second page)

Alright, so I decided to purchase my first rifle. So far, I've come up with a few ideas, but, without much personal experience with firearms in general or with rifles, I wanted to get some advice.

My first thought went to a Remington 700 (since they're everywhere, in a good way), so I naturally went to narrow down my options from there. I was looking at the different models, specs, etc. until I decided I wanted a 26" heavy bull barrel with a 12" twist. Since my price range for this build is sub-$1000-ish, I leaned towards the SPS Varmint. After looking at the 700P and the 5R, I decided my money was better spent upgrading off of the SPS Varmint (even though that 5R barrel is NICE). I'm leaning towards the .308 over any other caliber offered for the SPS Varmint mostly because of it's availability.

For now, at least, I'm leaving the trigger as it is. From what I've read, the Remington factory triggers are pretty well adjusted straight from the box.

What I decided on was to find an upgrade to the cheap, plastic factory stock and to get a scope (even if the gun itself comes with one from the factory, I'll probably trash it, since it's cheap as hell).

This build will probably be used for hunting and punching holes in paper more than anything, but my goal is to get the best accuracy at the greatest range possible on a budget.

I've narrowed down the stocks to the B&C Medalist Tactical (Model #2092) and the B&C Medalist Tactical Adjustable (better known as the B&C Tactical A5, or Model #2094). The main issue between the two, for me, is price. I'd like the B&C A5, with all the adjustable goodness, but the B&C Tactical is at a much more reasonable price.
Edit: links for the stocks!
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-2092/Detail
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/bell-carlson-adjustable-tactical/Detail

For the scope, I was trying to find the most range from a reputable manufacturer at a decent price (my upper limit on the scope is probably $300). I want at least 14x upper limit on the magnification, so i'm looking in the class above 3-9. I'm also looking for variable magnification (unless someone can convince me fixed is better for my purposes). Here's what I've come up with so far:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-6-18x40-trophy-xlt-adjustable-objective-matte-riflescope.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-tactical-riflescope.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-xlt-6-18x40mm-matte-multi-x-riflescope.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-6-24x50mm-truplex-matte-predator-quest-riflescope.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/redfield-revenge-6-18x44mm-rifle-scope.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-4-16x42-buck-commander-rifle-scopes.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-buckmasters-4-14x40.html
Edit2: Just found this - http://www.opticsplanet.net/mueller-optics-4-16-x-50mm-adjusted-objective-tactical-riflescope.html
Not sure about the quality, but it seems nice.

With the scopes I've been looking at, the stock may have to come later. I'd rather have good glass with a factory stock than no glass at all.

Thoughts?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update</span>: Pretty much everything for my rifle is here, and my ammo is on the way.

My build:

Rem 700 .308 SPS Varmint (26" barrel with 1/12" twist)
Factory Remington Synthetic Stock
Leupold STD Long-Range Base & 30mm Medium Rings
Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil
Harris S-BRM 6"-9" Bipod

Ammo: Southwest Ammunition .308 Standard Match 175SMK (Winchester Brass)
I intend to reload in the future, once I'm a little further into the sport and have more cash to get my setup.

Next on the agenda for the build (when I get the cash):
Custom McMillan A5 (including pillar bedding, inletting for the DBM, paint job, adjustable cheek riser, etc.)
Badger M5 DBM
Timney 40x Trigger (which might replace the X-Mark Pro relatively soon. If the X-Mark begins to creep on me, it's gone!)

I might start a new thread to post pictures, range reports, and the eventual load workups and upgrades.

Re: First-time Remington 700 .308 Build - Thoughts?

Do yourself a favor and don't go too cheap on the glass. Also I've owned both of those stocks and found them too bulky, especially in the foreend for me. I do have a B&C M40 stock that's to my liking, but for me a good adjustable can't be beat. For me, budgets and guns don't mix. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do yourself a favor and don't go too cheap on the glass. Also I've owned both of those stocks and found them too bulky, especially in the foreend for me. I do have a B&C M40 stock that's to my liking, but for me a good adjustable can't be beat. For me, budgets and guns don't mix. Good luck.</div></div>

I wish I had more capital to work with on both sides of my upgrade, honestly. Right now I'm probably limited to a cap of about $1200, so with the $577 I spend on the rifle plus the $50 FFL transfer cost (which is ridiculous, but there's not many choices in my area), I'm out half my budget, so I have about $400-$600 to spend on a stock and glass. I'm figuring around $300 for the scope, so that leaves me at most $300 for the stock, or I'll just have to wait to upgrade the stock until later. If I decide to upgrade the stock later (which is a high possibility), I might spend up to $400-$450 on the scope if it's a good jump in quality from what I'd get otherwise.

The bulkiness of the stocks doesn't really bother me that much - I'm a pretty big guy, so it'll probably work pretty well. I'd love to have the B&C Adjustable Tactical, but, as it stands, I'd have to wait to upgrade to it until later.

Smart move to match the components to the right price point.
On my stock gun (700 AAC) I have the B&C medilist and it does improve the overall performance. I also have this scope from BSA.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...d-reticle-matte
Mil/Mil first focal plane and for the money it does a great job. Learn to use it and learn to shoot. If you're still into this 2 years from now you can get a custom action, M5 stock and a NightForce.

That scope (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...d-reticle-matte) looks amazing for its price. I was trying to find mil-mil (for some reason, if they have mildot reticles, the majority of the scopes I found had turrets that were in 1/4th or 1/8th MOA!), and that scope certainly fits the bill for a much more reasonable price than I was expecting. I read some of the reviews on that same website, and they're pretty much glowing. I'll probably end up getting this scope. Thanks for the recommendation!

i would def go with a trigger, i adjusted my factory one and thought it was great then i dropped the bomb on a timney and its a huge difference to me.

Dont shut-out the Redfield just yet. They are made by Leupold and the glass is extremely clear w/ a lifetime warrenty. I have used their Revolution and its a great hunting scope. The Revenge looks like a great long range hunting scope with its accurage reticle. I wish they made a Mil-dot but no one would but a leupold if that happened. The first M40 was mounted with a redfield accurange scope (might be slightly difference than now). You can watch the video to see how its done.
http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

As for the stock. Look on the big auction site and people are always selling their take off HS precision stock. Thats all I have used and they work fantastic for the price. Not to mention the M24 had and HS Precision stock and the Police and 5r use them.

I think you are approaching this very well.
I have experience with a B&C tactical/varmint stock.
It is a very good stock, though heavy and I am not a big fan of the very blocky fore end.

I encourage you to consider both the B&C M40 (very nice stock) or the light tactical stock. You mention possible hunting with the rifle, you would be much better served with either of these stocks and a stock pack.

Don't forget to include your base and rings in your calculations. A weaver extended 20MOA multi-slot rail will run about 40 bucks, they are well made and very reasonably priced. It will most likely need to be bedded.
The weaver 6 hole tactical rings work very well and can be had for about 40 also.

As far as glass goes, you don't need a mil-dot or ranging reticle for your intended use. If you want a mil-dot or ranging reticle, do yourself a favor and get a scope with matching reticle and adjustments, pretty much exclusively mil/mil in your price range.
I have owned a millet trs-1. I was quite pleased, considering the price. It did have an issue or two.
I have several Mueller scopes, they are gtg, but the model you are looking at has 1/8" adjustments (too fine for everything except target shooting)
The Nikon 4-14 is a very nice scope, though adjustments are very limited.

My recommendation is this:
Either try to come up with a couple of hundred more to get to the next level. (Burris MTAC or Vortex HS 5-15), or reduce your magnification requirement in an attempt to get better resolution and features.
This is an excellent scope and it seems that it goes on sale every other month for 300.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/...t-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935341/...t-reticle-matte

Well, that BSA is tempting, with the mil-mil and FFP. I've read some good things about the Millet TRS for the value at its price, as well as the Bushnells and Nikons I have linked up there.

If I had to choose right now, I would limit it to the BSA for saving money for the value, the Millet TRS (more expensive, but probably better long range clarity), and the Redfield (even if it is MOA, their holdover reticle seems pretty simple to start shooting with as a beginner), and leave out the Nikon, Weaver, Mueller, and Simmons. Since the BSA and the Redfield are around the same price range, and since you tell me Leupold makes the Redfields, I would have to choose between the Millet TRS and the Redfield Revenge.

If I found a deal for the mil-mil TRS for under $300, I'd jump on it so fast.

My whole reason for not getting the 700P was because I'd probably end up replacing the HS Precision with something adjustable. Since the barrel and action on the SPS Varmint and the 700P are the same, the only difference was the stock. I'm getting the SPS Varmint mainly because I already know I'm going to replace the factory stock with something else. In the near future, probably the B&C Tactical A5. Later on, maybe the McMillan A5.

Thank you all for your advice so far. It's been helping, a lot.

I hadn't really thought about a base/rings yet, mainly since I was waiting to decide on a scope to see what rings I would need based on the size (I have some 40mm and some 50mm up there, which, from what I hear, will need different rings), but in my head, I kinda-but-not-really factored in around $50 for my scope mount.

I'll probably mull over my options for the scope more in about a week (since I have finals right now! This has been my main distraction throughout xD).

Don't buy crappy glass. Period. By the time you 1000 rnds down the tube you will regret it. You don't really say what distance you will be shooting out to, but if it is say > 500 yards then reliable turrets are a must. Don't assume cheap tactical scopes will deliver the same elevation and windage each time you dial 'em in. They often won't.

You have a serious budget which means compromise. My suggestion is buy fixed 10x from Bushnell (tactical elite) or SS. By quality base and rings (don't cheap out here either). Then and only then look at how much money you have left for a rifle. Then buy what you can manage. After 1000 rnds down range decide on mods.

Remember to budget ammo ...

Good luck on whatever you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpr260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't buy crappy glass. Period. By the time you 1000 rnds down the tube you will regret it. You don't really say what distance you will be shooting out to, but if it is say > 500 yards then reliable turrets are a must. Don't assume cheap tactical scopes will deliver the same elevation and windage each time you dial 'em in. They often won't.
</div></div>

So, I know the scope is one place where you definitely don't want to skimp on the price. You get what you pay for. However, aren't the ones I've linked, and that have been discussed, pretty good quality for my pricepoint at around $300? From what I've read, Millet, Redfield and Nikon all make premium glass, and from the reviews on the BSA scope waste knot recommended, it is a surprisingly great scope from a company that usually makes cheap scopes.

My main question, I suppose, is, with the scopes I've linked or that have been recommended, is there that much noticeable turret windage/elevation variability? These all seem like quality scopes to me, albeit not like a Leupold or Nightscope or other $1k+ scopes that are obviously top-notch.

I own a BSA as well as a Redfield. The build of the BSA was better than I expected and works good but the glass isn't as clear in higher powers as other scopes I have used so now I keep it on my .22. Haha Yes Redfield is made by Leupold. If you look at the bottom of the Redfield site, it says Redfield is a division of Leupold. The customer service addresses are also the same. The glass quality is quite the bang for the buck. If anything is wrong with their glass (except for the fact that you would try to run it over with your car) , they will fix it for free. If you can go to a near gun shop, look through a various brands including a redfield and decide which one you like best. If you decide to stick with the sport, then you could upgrade to a more expensive mil dot and learn that.

What adjustment do you want in your stock? Adj. cheek risers can be added, one, I forget the name is pretty cheap and you only have to drill a couple holes. Spacers for LOP can be bought or made and easily installed if the stock has or can be made to have a screwed on recoil pad. Cant and drop, well you can add those too but they involve some skill.

Nikon and Redfield have better glass, longer eye relief, better warranties, and better resale value than Millet. Millets offer allot of features for their price. I have a Millet Buckmark gold 4-16 mildot ret, moa adj, I was suprised by its clarity, and the adjustments have proven repeatable, it got me out shooting and learning ranging without waiting to save, I don't regret the purchase, I will upgrade it eventually, or sooner if it fails. There was a recent review on here about the TRS that was fairly in depth and fairly positive. Lots has been written about the Millets the more recent seems to show a trend of better QC and durability. Keep scouring the net, the TRSs go on sale often, beware they used to have 1/4 or 1/8 MOA knobs so look out for that especially if its a really good deal.

Re: Noob Needs Advice - Remington 700 .308 Build

JPR260 suggested the Bushnell 10x elite tactical. A while ago I tried different scopes and settled on the Bushnell 10x elite tactical. Don't be fooled by the price, it is a solid scope! I reviewed it on bhphoto.com .
The redfield scopes have very nice optical clarity, but I would consider them more of a hunting scope vs. tactical scope.

If you have the equipment and skill you can buy a cheaper stock and make it adjustable: http://www.waveform.eclipse.co.uk/WEB%20PAGES/TARGET%20SHOOTING/Cheek%20Piece.htm
or
http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm
That could save you quite a bit of money.

Good luck with your build. I'm in a similar position (thinking of putting together a tactical 700 system).

I'd wait on the stock - Good glass will lead to a lot less frustration in the long run. You could get the 700 SPS tactical for that price range. They have a hogue stock but I've personally seen those rifles shoot consistant sub MOA 100 yard groups with match ammo. As far as stock's, there are all sorts of options for Rem 700 stocks out there. I would get a good scope and rifle - mess with the trigger and stock later on.

The OP intends on using the rifle for hunting.
A fixed 10X is not well suited to the task.

As far as redfields having good glass, the one (only one) that I looked through left much to be desired.

The 1-12" twist SPS tactical is now going for close to 600, the AAC about 80 more. They are quickly becoming less of a "deal" than they were.

If you are fairly handy with basic tools and can follow instructions, this rifle coupled with a basic bedding job done by yourself would be a very good option:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...THUMBHOLE+STOCK

This would be a good option also, B&C makes a good stock for it:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...vy+Barrel+Black

Hunting is more of a seconday role- It will probably be used more for punching holes in paper at the range, but either way, I do want a variable sight.

I looked at the tactical, and decided against it because I do want the 26" heavy barrel that the SPS Varmint has.

When it comes to the stocks I've been looking at, I believe the two B&Cs up there only need strip-bedding with epoxy. If I need to free-float or fully bed the barrel when I get the new stock, I'll look into it then and either research it to do it myself or send it off to the local gunsmith.

i would try the 5r, i just put a down payment on the rem 700 ss 5r milspec no more then 30 mins ago, from what the man told me who shoots 1k yrd its a solid gun, he was trying to get me to buy a 260 savage.

I thought about the 5R, but it's a little out of my price range, and that's with just the rifle itself. It comes with the same HS Precision stock as the 700P, which is okay, but from what I read on http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml, it's probably not worth $500 for the HS stock and the different twist in the barrel which would be ideal for anything above 168 gr and get more range.

Since I'm just starting out, I don't really want to start with the 5R because, honestly, it's probably too much, and it's outside of my realistic price range. I'd rather get the more basic SPS Varmint, which will be a solid base for future upgrades, along with a decent scope so I can at least see the longer range targets in detail and not just through the irons.

I actually run a similar setup, Vs 26" with nikon monarch and hs precision stock. Anyhow my advice with this cartridge and a scope like the monarch is you're going to be in the range of 40 moa internal adjustment, so if you want to get to 1k yards with 308 you'll need a scope base that can make up the difference. Also i like the aluminum egw picatinny base and tps rings

REM 700 SPS VARMINT on sale for $475. (.308) flynlow is the seller. was still for sale as of 4/20/12. no post on thread since then. thought this might help you save a little on the rifle purchase

With, say, 168 gr .308, I don't think I can even get to 1k without the round tumbling. I think my max range (with this barrel at least) is probably around 880 yds (based off of what the US Army says the 168 gr .308 max range is). I'm going to put 880 yards as my goal with this setup.

I'll call 880 yards 900 for ease of calculation. With the 168 gr .308, I need 11.30 MOA, or 3.286 mil, elevation correction.

With the BSA scope, say, (since it was the only one among the ones I was looking at that listed a max elevation mil adjustment) I have a max internal adjustment of 26.5 mils, so, assuming I have the scope zeroed in at the mechanical zero of the turret, I have 13.25 mils to play with in up elevation.

Shouldn't that be plenty, even up to 1k yards? The table I used for reference on the 900 yard ballistic drop for 168 gr .308 (http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Docs/32.PDF) shows 13.50 MOA (3.9258 mils). 40 MOA max internal adjustment seems like it would perform fine as well, with 20 on either side of mechanical zero.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please! I might sound like I actually know what I'm talking about, but I got all my info in the past two days after perusing forum after forum post among various forums.

I use Strelok as a calculator, its freeware on Android market. It lists 36.09 moa adjustment for 900 yards for Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking. And to keep 1.2 mach on 308 cartridge for 1k yards youd need 168 gr going towards 3k ft/s or 175 gr going 2.8k ft/s

Ah.This calculator is probably more accurate, so I most likely will need a rail to make up for the difference. Thanks.

I am in the same position as the OP. I have hunted for a long time, but I have no experience with shots 200+ yards and my desire is to learn how to shoot at distance. I have researched extensively for the right beginner rifle/scope combo and have come to the conclusion that I am going to go with the Savage 10FP and a Vortex Viper (non FFP) scope. The Savage seems to have the best trigger and accuracy out of the box and the Vortex is adequate enou for me to learn on.

My problem has been tempering my desire to trick out a rifle. I have the disease most men have and that is wanting cool stuff, gadgets, etc. I finally decided I need time behind the glass and sending rounds down range before I will really know what I want/need.

I assume I am doing the right thing and that my setup will be adequate for my needs for some time to come?

Good luck to the OP in his decisions for a rifle.

TJ

Hey nothing is wrong with a savage, in fact i would be happy with either one. The savage is accurate out of the box but is looked at as more of a "tool". They dont look super fancy or have great resale but they get the job done and you shouldn't second guess yourself for buying one. But too be honest when you replace the stock on both, they have the same accuracy. The 700 has been more of a "traditional" gun therefore they tend to have more upgrades available and slightly better resale. This is why I bought mine. If you need to keep the factory 700 stock on it for a while before you can afford an upgrade, you can still expect very nice accuracy. Vortex is should work nice, but might be out of the OP price range.

Good luck with your build too!

I think what threw me off of getting a Vortex Viper personally is that they don't have any scopes in mil-mil, at least in my price range, that I could see. I eventually want to work up to 1k yards, and I hear that, without a spotter, you really do need a mil-dot reticle. Having the mil turrets means fewer conversions after sighting the range. So, with that objective, I want to learn on mil so that that's what I'm accustomed to once I get up above 600 yards and start probably needing a NF or Leupold (along with other eventual upgrades).

I hadn't really researched Savage at all before starting this build, and I still haven't. I think I'll stick to the Remington mainly because it's a brand I've heard before, many times, and will continue to hear because of how many people own and love their Remmys.

That's mainly personal opinion though. Go with what works for you, because in the end, that's all that matters.

I have gone back and forth on Savage vs. Remington. The Remington is definitely a rifle you can grow into because of the vast assortment of aftermarket add ons. I just decided I wanted to spend a bit more on optics up front.

The scope I am talking about it is: http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-vpr-m-06fp.html

It is about $150 more than you indicated you want to spend, but it may be worth a look.

TJ

OP,
I am glad to see you doing a significant amount of the research yourself.

As far as the 168's go, it is the defacto match load that everyone seems to make at least one load for. The culprit isn't some mystery with the bullet weight, it is the steep angle of the boattail on the SMK. It was optimized for 300 meter match shooting. They will easily get you to 600 plus yards. By the time you are proficient there, your setup will probably be different and you'll probably be handloading.

You can give the BSA a shot, but honestly, I have never heard anything good about them.
If you want a FFP mil/mil scope, give the falcon Menace a look. Buy from SWFA and you'll have a 5 year warranty. I have one of these scopes, it has served me very well and the glass is quite sharp and clear. If you look, you'll see the BSA is virtually identical, a chinese knock-off of a chinese scope.
Falcon uses a heavy grease to lube the o-rings in the turrets, clean it off and lube with silicone spray and you will be rewarded with good tactile adjustment clicks.

I have a Jerry rigged aac sd that has been shooting great (1/2 moa or better)for the amount of money ive invested. ($800 dollars or so) I have a Bushnell elite fixed 10 that I absolutely love for the sub $200 price point. Glass is heads and shoulders above comparable variable scopes within that price range. As for the rings, I use warne maximas and I honestly do not like the way they mount but they have not caused me any trouble otherwise. Now the ghetto rigging, it aint pretty but it works... I made my cheek well by ripping a peace of 3/4 inch pvc and glued the to halves together, after that i duck tapped the piece to the top of my stock. And for aesthetics i covered the duct tape with a $15 cheek pad. For the pesky flexible hogue stock i just removed enough material from the for end to where the barrel cannot make contact with the barrel. I told you all this to say that you dont have to invest bookoo bucks to start shooting. Yeah it would be fun to have all the goodies, but there is something really fun about having a good shooting cheep rig. so dont rule out the sps tactical. And good luck with your build

fdkay: You say you've owned the Millet TRS-1 as well as the Falcon Menace. How would you compare the glass between them? They're both mil-mil, which is excellent, and their magnifications (the ones I am comparing) are similar; 4-16x50 on the TRS and 4-14x44 on the Falcon Menace.

I think I've narrowed my choices between these two, and any personal experience you could relate pertaining to the differences would be greatly appreciated.

mparke13: That sounds like quite the rig! I might whip something up to go on the factory stock in terms of adjustments if it doesn't feel right in my hands, but my eventual goal is to upgrade to the A5 style stock from B&C or McMillan (If I get that kind of capital to spend on a stock!), which should be pretty much adjustable in any way I want.

The main reason I'm not looking at the tactical style rifles from Rem in the same 700 category is because of the barrel length- they're all at 20" or 22". From what I understand, the 26" barrel with 1/12" instead of 1/10" should be a little better suited for starting out at 168gr-175gr and give me a little bump in accuracy over using a 20" or 22" barrel. If and when I upgrade my barrel, I'll probably still look for the 26", for that added accuracy. If I decide to shorten and recap the barrel, I can always do that- you can't just make a 20" or 22" into a 26" barrel, so I always have the option open.

I was quite pleased with the Millet, I gave it to my son. The glass in mine was clear and bright throughout the magnification range. I was never able to get the turrets to zero though.

Glass between the two seemed very similar, remmeber though, the TRS had a much bigger objective. The scope caps that come with the trs are very serviceable and are still on the scope. The scope caps that come on the falcon are useless. The falcon came with 2 sun-shades, the TRS came with one (all you really need)

The Falcon has a far superior reticle and is FFP.

I still have the falcon, I gave away the TRS.

As far as barrel length, I prefer about 24". The 26" won't be more accurate, but you will get more velocity. The short 20" tubes are very stiff and tend to shoot a bit more consistently, but recoil is increased.

I dont think you can go wrong with a 700p and B&C tactical..but then I may be biased.
rem.jpg

@fdkay:Well, it'll probably come down to whether or not I can get the Falcon then. They seem similar enough that either one should be fine, but the Falcon will probably be a little bit better, in terms of the clearer reticle (hashes instead of dots, little more precise to range) and maybe fewer mechanical or glass quality issues (heard a surprising amount about this on the TRSs now, haven't anything on the Falcon, but that could just be because more people have the Millet), and I'm not sure about an illuminated reticle, and whether I'd really need it ever.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice!

@alexdawg

/drool That setup is pretty much exactly what I'm aiming for (at least the stock, barrel, and action).

Thanks, and good luck with yours. I need to lower the scope. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 6-24. The bipod is a 9-13in, really need a 6-9 for bench shooting, for me anyway. Live and learn and spend!

Alright, so I ordered my Rem700 SPS Varmint, and I'll probably know which scope I'm getting by the middle of next week, around when my rifle gets to my FFL.

If I get the Falcon Menace or the Millett TRS (narrowed down to those two), what rings/base will I need? I now know I'll need probably a 20 MOA base, but as to the size of the rings, I'm uncertain. The Falcon Menace outer objective lens diameter (its largest diameter on the scope) is 52 mm, but the Millett TRS i'm unsure of, as the only specifications they give are 30mm tube and the 50mm inner objective lens diameter. The SPS Varmint has the heavy 26" barrel, so with these scopes, probably high rings?

Besides the size of the rings or the cant on the base, will I need a single piece ring mount or double for the .308 SPS Varmint? If double, double dovetail or dovetail/windage?

I'm new to all of this, so i've never mounted a scope before, but I plan to on this rifle, so I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way!

i used a millet TRS for a while when i was learning to shoot, i have also been using a LRS for a few months and am in the process of replacing it. good scopes for the money but they cant compare to higher end glass. hit me up if you want to buy my LRS, i can keep it under your budget. they are also avaliable on natchezss.com for ~$350, last i checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, so I ordered my Rem700 SPS Varmint, and I'll probably know which scope I'm getting by the middle of next week, around when my rifle gets to my FFL.

If I get the Falcon Menace or the Millett TRS (narrowed down to those two), what rings/base will I need? I now know I'll need probably a 20 MOA base, but as to the size of the rings, I'm uncertain. The Falcon Menace outer objective lens diameter (its largest diameter on the scope) is 52 mm, but the Millett TRS i'm unsure of, as the only specifications they give are 30mm tube and the 50mm inner objective lens diameter. The SPS Varmint has the heavy 26" barrel, so with these scopes, probably high rings?

Besides the size of the rings or the cant on the base, will I need a single piece ring mount or double for the .308 SPS Varmint? If double, double dovetail or dovetail/windage?

I'm new to all of this, so i've never mounted a scope before, but I plan to on this rifle, so I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way! </div></div>
the TRS should fit on your rifle with lows, my LRS fits on my AAC-SD with them. with the cover i have probably 1/8" of clearance on the bell. millet scopes come with rings, but they are usually quite tall, so you could just wait and use the millet rings and then judge what you need from there.

If you could get me the LRS for a good price, that'd be preferable over the TRS, of course. Higher magnification and internal adjustments are always a plus if the glass quality is the same or better.

However, that's really only if the Falcon Menace falls through. I saw one of them on the OFS forum a few days ago for $315, so that's gonna be my first choice. The Falcon is FFP, similar magnification, a little less bulky, and the reticle is a little cleaner, so it has my vote over the LRS and TRS if I can get it at the right price. Heck, I might even just buy it at the retail $385 because it's so nice.

So, low rings will probably work with either. I'll probably dig around on the web some more if I secure the Falcon Menace to find the right height.

Any recommendations on brand in terms of the base and rings? Think I'll end up with the double dovetail in terms of rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you could get me the LRS for a good price, that'd be preferable over the TRS, of course. Higher magnification and internal adjustments are always a plus if the glass quality is the same or better.

However, that's really only if the Falcon Menace falls through. I saw one of them on the OFS forum a few days ago for $315, so that's gonna be my first choice. The Falcon is FFP, similar magnification, a little less bulky, and the reticle is a little cleaner, so it has my vote over the LRS and TRS if I can get it at the right price. Heck, I might even just buy it at the retail $385 because it's so nice.

So, low rings will probably work with either. I'll probably dig around on the web some more if I secure the Falcon Menace to find the right height.

Any recommendations on brand in terms of the base and rings? Think I'll end up with the double dovetail in terms of rings. </div></div>go with whatever your budget allows. no reason to get a $200 set of rings at this point. i have been using some IOR 35mm low rings (actually they will be on the LRS if you decide you want it) so hit me up if the falcon menace falls through, i wont be offended if you dont want mine!

Alright, thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to keep your LRS in mind if the Falcon doesn't work out.

Its great to see people helping on budget builds. Theres so much talk about equipment here and how you need $1500 glass on every gun and you need mil/mil custom bedded with dual flux capacitors etc etc.

I picked up the aac-sd with aac breakout for under $800 OTD, slapped a egw 20moa base, leaupold rings and a trs1 and even on the hogue stock it shoots sub moa at 300yrds. Eventually Ill upgrade glass, and then the stock, but overall I think its a nice setup thats fun to shoot and I would much rather be out shooting my cheap setup then looking at a rifle thats not functional cause Im saving for the best glass, stock etc.

I also pick up the same rifle. SPS™ Tactical AAC®-SD™ and put on a regular leupold base and rings and a bushnell 5-15x40 elite tac and aac muzzle brake the rifle ran me $660 the scope$470 base&rings 100 and muzzlebrake $250 all iI did was shop around at local gunshops and i get sub moa at 200 waiting for some time off of work to go up state and take it out to 600yards take your time and do your home work

The TRS and LRS are 2 completely different animals.
The TRS has a 30MM tube, while the LRS has a 35mm tube.

On my sps tact, I ran a 20 MOA EGW base and low burris XTR's with my TRS.

On my savage 12 with a similar profile barrel, I run a weaver extended multi-slot 20MOA base, weaver 6 hole tactical rings (low) with my falcon installed.

The weaver rail is an excellent piece of kit for the price, I did need to bed it on my 700 5R (easy to do). I did not need to bed it on my savage. The weaver rail runs about 40 bucks.
The weaver rings are pretty good also and also run about 39.

SWFA has a mounting kit available, it is a package deal with rings and base.
I prefered the weaver base over the egw, primarily because the weaver came with torx screws vice regular hex head screws.

Interestingly enough, I was recently on the Falcon website, they have upgraded the warranty to limited lifetime (must save receipt). material workmanship defects only.

Alright, so I got to thinking about how I'm going to mount whatever scope I get... I was looking at the EGW Picatinny 1-Piece 20MOA (http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46177.aspx) for the base, but I have no idea on the rings. I'd like to, if possible, stay below $50-ish while still getting nice rings. I think I want dual dovetails, but I really don't know much about mounts at all.

Related questions: Do I need special rings for a 20 MOA base? Do I have to get specific rings because it's a Picatinny-style base? Dovetail + Windage or Dual Dovetail?

The stuff I've read online so far points at getting Leupold, Burris, or Talley rings. Is there a major difference between all of them, or should I just pick the ones that fit my budget and the base?

Thanks in advance.

The Weaver rails and rings also look reasonable, but I really don't know where to start with all of this xD

All the rings and bases basically look the same to me (when it comes to brand vs. brand), so it kinda seems more like personal choice. Honestly, I'll probably just get whatever fits my budget better unless someone convinces me one way or another xD

Oh, while I was looking through all the tabs I have open at SWFA's website, I saw a tab I left on the bipods page. I'll probably need one of those, and I'm pretty sure I'd want 6-9" instead of the 9-13". Any recommendation when it comes to brand/style?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Weaver rails and rings also look reasonable, but I really don't know where to start with all of this xD

All the rings and bases basically look the same to me (when it comes to brand vs. brand), so it kinda seems more like personal choice. Honestly, I'll probably just get whatever fits my budget better unless someone convinces me one way or another xD

Oh, while I was looking through all the tabs I have open at SWFA's website, I saw a tab I left on the bipods page. I'll probably need one of those, and I'm pretty sure I'd want 6-9" instead of the 9-13". Any recommendation when it comes to brand/style? </div></div>6-9" has been plenty tall for me. i use a cheaper caldwell, but i have no complaints about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Equitum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Related questions: Do I need special rings for a 20 MOA base? Do I have to get specific rings because it's a Picatinny-style base? Dovetail + Windage or Dual Dovetail?

The stuff I've read online so far points at getting Leupold, Burris, or Talley rings. Is there a major difference between all of them, or should I just pick the ones that fit my budget and the base?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>no, you dont need any special rings for a 20moa base. its exactly like a 0 moa base except that the rings will sit at a tiny incline. you cant go wrong with any of those brands of rings.

i work in fort worth by the way

hey reasonably new so i cant really give advice so much as tell you what i did, which btw i have been uber pleased with
i got a remington 700 5-r
i got it over the sps varmit cause it has a better standard stock than the varmit and i got it over the police model cause it is lighter, i hunt and target shoot with the rifle and am pleased thusfar. i dont intend to upgrade any parts of the rifle untill i start to outshoot it which from what i can gather maybe a fair while for this rifle.
also i chose .308 as there is lots of cheap and good ammo for it and it was the calibre i learnt to judge windage, elevation mirage and so on with, i believe its a good one to learn with beacause it doesnt have the best bullet coefficient and so on so you have to learn to deal with elevation and wind

anyways i chose a trijicon accupoint with milldot sights and let me tell you it is awesome for hunting and the highlighted recticle is quiet impressive, it also does a good job for shooting out to about 600m for target shooting(thats as far as ive been so far)but i believe that the sights might be starting to get a bit thick by the time you reach a 1000m

i would definently recomend varible because of the flexibility with range it offers

i also noticed you were spending alot less money on the scope than the rifle. My theory is we have been making guns for about a 1000 years now so whatever you get is going to be pretty good especially if its a bolt action. we have been making gun optics for a far shorter period of time so ive found its a good idea to spend at least half the rifles cost on a scope i personally spent about the same and dont regret it but i have regreted skimping on scope in the past it cheaper to do it once and do it right.

hope you find it helpfull and please excuse my grammer and spelling lol