• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing *UPDATE* Major Fail @ 300yds

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
short story: I wounded(probably fatally) a deer from a 300yd shot with my .308 tac, I found a lot of blood and saw the deer hit the ground and flop around, never found it. I couldn't get a second shot to finish it off, since when it was on the ground, I couldn't see it. It was only a doe, but it is still a waste and doen't count as a kill. It was the first blood for this rifle and not a good start.

I know I shouldn't be using SMK's to hunt with and will change to something else ASAP. The 155 SMK is the only bullet that I was satisfied with the grouping.

It sure is depressing to fail to find a deer, especially when I wanted to make a long range kill.

Re: Major Fail @ 300yds

your stick is cursed by the driver

Yeah, the SMK's have worked well for some hunters, but expansion was too iffy for me at .308 Win velocities.

Have had good results the past couple of years with the Berger VLD, and a couple of buddies use the Hornady A-Max with excellent results. Those bullets seem to always expand and tear up the vitals pretty well.

Sorry you lost the deer - that's never a good thing.

Regards, Guy

I'd suggest you start by reading up on hunting ethics, then animal anatomy.Learn about animal reaction to bieng shot, it will help you determin where you hit if you didnt hit where you should have, You can also tell a lot from blood colour, blood from a limb wound looks different from a lung shot, looks different from a liver shot, belly shot, etc. did you find any hair fragments ? bone fragments ? fragments of lung ? meat fragments ? all this will help you determin certain things when tracking a wounded animal. how far did you search ? learn about blood trailing wounded animals. then get access to a tracking dog if you dont own one.

Then i'd spend time finding a hunting bullet that would shoot almost as well as a match load. from experince you'll probably find that the game kings will behave very similar in the ballistics and accuracy department to the SMK.

There is no excuse. and only a doe is a lame statement. what makes a doe less worthy than a buck ?
If all you are after is the kill, then stick to targets or prarie dogs, if you're seriouse about hunting then learn to do it right.

OK rant over..

we all make fuckups when hunting.,and anyone who says he never did is a better lier than a hunter, the main thing is learn from it.You dont want it to happen again.
While i have no problem with using match bullets on certain types of game,( i use 167gr scenars on Roe deer,(but not at any distance) and fox, they can be very unreliable. When the ranges get long you need reliable expansion, you aren't getting that from a match round.
Try some known performers, all the following have proven to be as accurate as match bullets for me:

Ballistic Tips, Accubond, Game King, Interlock, Partition, RWS Doppelkern (DK)

so back to the drawing board before hunting again i'd say.

Pete

using SMK's is not at all bad.

shot placement is very important however.
cool.gif

take out the front shoulders and they don't go anywhere.

Break them down, and put them down as humanely as possible.

do your job as an ethical hunter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that was my next option, I just got some. Favorite loads with the amax?</div></div>

i pour in 45grn varget in Black hills brass...or lapua....make 'em mag length

I guess it is all right to shoot people with SMKs, but not deer. Something doesn't quite equate when I hear this sort of talk. As for needing utmost accuracy, you are shooting at a target with a dead kill zone the size of a gallon jug of milk. Shoot the deadliest deer specific round that will do the job without question and don't fret so much about utmost accuracy. I myself hunt in south Arkansas, I know the terrain well, although I don't hunt them with a rifle as I like the up close and personal archery hunting more. I also don't count a 300 yard shot as a long range kill with a rifle, but others may argue.

Hey I just noticed your sign in to the forums name .....

match grade bullets kill animals great bullet placement is the key if you cant hit where youre aiming go back to the range

Just to add for future reference, you dont necessarily need a "tracking" dog. You coulda used your run of the mill mut. You'd be surprised what they'll nose out.

Sorry for your poor hunting trip. It's suppose to be enjoyable. I'm not here to bash like some others did. I have made mistakes and learned from them. As seen on TV most every deer shot on the "hunting shows" are shot behind the shoulder. Almost every deer runs after the shot. Some farther than others. My shots are placed in the neck and I have never had to track one shot there. They fold up and you find them dead where you shot them. Head shots work well too. No damage to meat after head or neck shot either. Better luck next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not always. Couple years back I had a deer do something I've never seen. He took a 180gr TSX out of a .300 Win Mag through both sholders at a cunt hair under 400 yards. Well he managed, with both shoulders broken and no heart, to pile up in a briar patch about 75 yards away. I guess he got it in his head that I was gonna have to work that night.

We had to track a deer 3/4 of a mile after being shot through both front shoulders with a 250gr sabot out of a muzzleloader. I also had a friend track one after being shot in the head with a 7mm RM. After you track a deer that was shot in the head, where do you shoot to finish the kill? Obviously a head shot wouldn't do any good, he was already shot there.

Point being, some deer have the will to escape no matter where you shoot or what you shoot with, if you dont get a shot through the spine/neck.

I went back and ranged the failed shot this week. It was 322yds, I placed a 1 gal jug at the spot and tried the scenario again. dead center of the jug.

I tried out my target load with 168 gr. SMKS opening day. 320 yard shot on nice 8-point. Mule-Kicked and tore down a high-tensile wire fence when he exited the field. I gave him a few minutes then proceded to find him. No blood whatsoever. Searched all evening with no luck... Came back the next morning with the dog and found him less than 40 yards from the fence line. Dead center, double lung shot. No blood trail at all... and just a small amount where he piled up. Punched a dime size hole in and out, very little if any expansion. I haven't tried the game kings but plan on working up a load to experiment with. As for the SMKS I might try again with a high sholder, CNS shot, but wont be punching anymore straw-holes through the boiler room with them. However I do imagine they will be devastating on does... Why mess up meat? I pop them in the mellon lol

With all due rspect, Why not do a little research and buy a bullet that is intended for Hunting and killing animals cleanly instead of a target bullet. I understand that target bullets wi;; usually kill certain animals as...bvut I have heard and seen of so many incidents where bullets explode or separated from the jacket or disintegrated and the animal was lost or messed up pretty bad and had to have another bullet or 2 or more to kill it. I think a lot of guys here test hunting bullets and are not happy with accuracy because they are used to 1/4 or 1/2 MOA and they get 1 or 1.5 moa and they thing that isn't good enough, Go with a bullet that is known to work if the animal is hit where it's supposed to be hit...ie..Barnes, Noslet Partition, Accubond or even a Rem Core-lokt if $$$ is an issue.

Nosler Ballistic tips in .308 make for bang-flops. I really like the 168's. Tracking with them has consisted of going and getting the truck and then driving as close to where the deer was when the shot was fired as possible, because that is where the deer is lying.

been there done that man. the fact that you came on here to seek advise shows you feel bad about it and are gonna try to not let it happen again, its ok everybody screws up sometimes, it will happen to all of us at some point. remember mother nature doesn't waste anything.

I'd have to question how hard did you look for the deer? Reason I bring this up is because of experience -- I have seen too many hunters give up tracking deer because the "blood trail" played out. Too many inexperienced hunters expect to see an obvious blood trail and fail in their tracking efforts because they are only looking for blood and only looking for large volumes of blood spaced within spotting distance from one to the other. Sounds like this deer might have been a candidate for serious tracking efforts the way you describe it was hit. I had to track a wounded deer a few weeks ago and found it only by wiping the smallest hint of moisure on many many leaves (wet with dew) with a white paper towl until I found some that turned the towl pink (indications of blood). This told me I was on the right trail. Took 3.5 hours, but I found him. I've also found others where the hunter gave up, by tracking mud stained leaves or subtle tracks and kicked up dirt. Tracking is a learned art (and a little bit of science) but every serious hunter should put forth as much effort in trailing game if the need arises as they do hunting and shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it is all right to shoot people with SMKs, but not deer. Something doesn't quite equate when I hear this sort of talk. </div></div>

1. I reference to the above quote, most humans don't cover 150 yds (through the brush) in about 5 secs after being shot through the heart, either. Also, it's usually not OK to shoot people with SMKs, but I'm not familiar with the hunting regs in AR.

*RANT ENGAGED*

2. Thanks to everyone in this thread who has employed rational thought and given good advice. The rest of you are free to go back to Arfcom.

3. If you've never shot a deer with SMK, but feel the need to comment on it's terminal performance on medium-sized, North American ungulates please see #2.

4. If you "took out both shoulders" and the deer rund oft ...c'mon. Really? Is it more likely that it ran a couple hundred yds with no supporting skeletal structure up front or that maybe you didn't "take out" the shoulders. I suppose a deer can pop-a-wheelie for 200 yds...but probably not.

5. For those of you considering SMK's for hunting deer, PLEASE DON'T!! I haven't seen enough members here state this emphatically. Actually, it's been quite the contrary, which amazes me. SMKs have expansion consistent with that of an FMJ round. This has been shown through military testing. It is why these bullets don't violate the Hague and Geneva conventions.

*RANT OFF*

6. Here's my experience: Listened to people on here and took a crack with a 168 SMK after not being able to work a dope for some Hornady SSTs...whole separate story. 300 yard shot on a Texas doe, center-punched heart (confirmed via autopsy), and she made it about 160 yds before piling up. There was ZERO blood trail. Even the dogs couldn't get on one. Took 4 guys about 1.5 hours of searching to find her.

Now, will a SMK kill a deer with a well-placed shot? Of course, but how good are your tracking skills? The entry and exit wounds were both .308-sized. Would any of you bow hunt with field tips? I hope not. With SMKs you'd better hit 'em in the heart or they'll take forever to expire.

Now I feel better.

rm76, I wish more guys hunted like you. I carry paper towels in my pack, as well, but have thankfully never had to track one for 3.5 hours. Nice work! Have you considered working for CSI?

I shoot smk 175 reloads at the range, I have found that out to 400 to 500 yards the blue box federal soft point power shok will hang in there very well. It will not hold as tight of moa of course but very good for a $13.00 box of factory bullets. With the 175s we can shoot golfballs and they only leave very smal exit holes.

+1 on the power shoks. Great, inexpensive hunting round. Hit a doe with one of these in the exact same spot as the one mentioned above (albeit, from 150 yds closer), and she was DRT. Traveled 2.5 feet...straight down. I guess there's really something to be said for good transfer of energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">using SMK's is not at all bad.

cool.gif

do your job as an ethical hunter. </div></div>

well stated,
i took my elk last yr with 175gr SMK he ran 100M then layed over, i shot my 170 class whitetail this yr with 175gr SMK as well, he was bedded down with a doe and took a dirt nap where he lay. i guess i have just been having good luck.?.?.? both shots were over 250M.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">using SMK's is not at all bad.

cool.gif

do your job as an ethical hunter. </div></div>

What he said.
Dead center high in the shoulder and they drop in their tracks.
Hit them behind the shoulder and they can god a long ways before piling up.

*UPDATE* I finally got a deer with this rifle today. I shot a doe at 250 yds and she went about 15 yds into the woods before dropping. Shot right through the shoulders with 150gr SST. Bullet went completely through the deer, leaving a 1" diameter exit hole. The lungs and heart were destroyed. Those Hornady SST bullets live up to the Super Shock part.

The new SWFA SS 3-9x42 seems to work well too.

First, Congratulations on your deer!

Second, go back through this thread and re-read the ones that say 'Rant'. It's criticism but constructive so far as I can tell.

Third, if the bullet passed through the animal it tells me that it failed to expend ALL it's energy inside the animal. While the pass through is not uncommon, it is less than optimal bullet performance. Pass troughs can be unforgiving if you're a little off, say a one lunger instead of both.

Forth, this is a really good thread and there are a lot of hunters out there that should read it. I'm not opposed to long range hunting as long as maximum performance and clean kills are the goal. Good luck on your future hunts...

Here we go on another whinny ass rant about SMK's. Shoot what you want because for everybad luck story you have heard, we have a success story for the SMK. Shot placement is everything. Any bullet can fail and as a guide in NM for 11years, I have seen it first hand. Barnes are raved as one of the best hunting bullets around and I have seen (first hand) more of them perform poorly than any other. Bullet Police go get a donut and some coffee!!!!

Never fired a Barnes and never had a pass through that left an animal standing. Of course I never shot one with a SMK either. Coffee and donuts, hell of an idea. Just goes to show that everyone can contribute in one way or another.

I agree that if shooting a "non-hunting" bullet you need to either head shoot or take out the shoulders (spine if confident in your position and shot).

Having said that - harvested my first Moose this year (cow tag). It was standing facing me at approximately 125 yards off hand. Using 30-06 factory nosler ammo with a 180 grain Ballistic Tip. Did not want to head shoot as I wanted the skull for collection. Held in the cow's left side chest - mid way down. Hit a little lower than aim point but a solid hit with the BT.

The cow ran off and we waited for it to settle down for about 15 minutes. It went less than 200 yards and tracked her by the Bull's location. Finished her with a spine shot.

The first BT went clean through the cow. It left a hole in the lung and pounded the lower 1/4 of the liver (but did not shred it). It proceeded out the back of her belly and then hit her rear leg and broke it. It was a lethal shot but not instant kill. I was disappointed that it showed minimal expansion on the trip thru the entire length of the cow (though it hit no bone until the rear leg).

Will have to rethink BT's when making soft tissue shots. They do work very well on bone shots however.

Not picking on anybody specificly, but I would think that anybody with an IQ above room temperature would realize the following:

1) Deer are not hard to kill with proper bullet placement. They are notoriously hard to kill with poor bullet placement.

2) Proper bullet placement gets harder as the range gets longer; the light gets dimmer, the wind blows harder, and obstacles such as brush and trees intervene. Know your limitations, and that of your round.

3) One can assume that match bullets are made for shooting targets, and hunting bullets are made for shooting game. One is not the other. There is room and a purpose for both.

4) One can use any legal bullet they like for, whatever purpose they choose.

5) If a particular bullet works for you, great. If it does not meet your performance criteria, whatever that is, choose another that does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also don't count a 300 yard shot as a long range kill with a rifle, but others may argue.</div></div>

I agree about the "long range" part; 300 yards with .308 isn't very far. 300 yards with a .22LR would be lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also don't count a 300 yard shot as a long range kill with a rifle, but others may argue.</div></div>

I agree about the "long range" part; 300 yards with .308 isn't very far. 300 yards with a .22LR would be lol... </div></div>

GCM,

Statesville, NC is a nice area. As to 300 yds not being long range for a 308, let my pose a hypothetical:

You are crossing a power line ROW, and a deer pops up 300 yds away. The grass though dead, is a foot tall, so you can't go prone and use your Bipod. The deer is not going to wait around while you get all slug-up, so now it is offhand or no shot at all...... I would postulate that you will find 300 yds a very long range indeed. Not an impossible shot of course, but much more difficult than one at say 500 yds. from a good rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also don't count a 300 yard shot as a long range kill with a rifle, but others may argue.</div></div>

I agree about the "long range" part; 300 yards with .308 isn't very far. 300 yards with a .22LR would be lol... </div></div>

GCM,

Statesville, NC is a nice area. As to 300 yds not being long range for a 308, let my pose a hypothetical:

You are crossing a power line ROW, and a deer pops up 300 yds away. The grass though dead, is a foot tall, so you can't go prone and use your Bipod. The deer is not going to wait around while you get all slug-up, so now it is offhand or no shot at all...... I would postulate that you will find 300 yds a very long range indeed. Not an impossible shot of course, but much more difficult than one at say 500 yds. from a good rest.

</div></div>

My exact thoughts, when you only get a few seconds to figure out the range and adjust, then get the shot off, its harder than most realize. I get maybe 10 seconds from the time I first see the animal, in this time period I also have to verify if the animal is legal to shoot.

I can hit a 10"x18" steel target at 400yds all day along with most of my hunting buddies, but we also know exactly how far it is and its not moving.

I was mainly posting this to blow off a little frustration about missing the first deer, not get chewed out for picking th wrong bullet and being told to go back to the range or learn to shoot better. Some of the info about the bullet selection was helpful, but most of you act like you never miss or wound an animal, or maybe you never take a shot at one.

Maybe i should just get a bazooka and see if that pleases everyone.

Those who have never missed or crippled without recovery obviously don't get to hunt enough. It happens to the best of us brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest you start by reading up on hunting ethics, then animal anatomy.Learn about animal reaction to bieng shot, it will help you determin where you hit if you didnt hit where you should have, You can also tell a lot from blood colour, blood from a limb wound looks different from a lung shot, looks different from a liver shot, belly shot, etc. did you find any hair fragments ? bone fragments ? fragments of lung ? meat fragments ? all this will help you determin certain things when tracking a wounded animal. how far did you search ? learn about blood trailing wounded animals. then get access to a tracking dog if you dont own one.

Then i'd spend time finding a hunting bullet that would shoot almost as well as a match load. from experince you'll probably find that the game kings will behave very similar in the ballistics and accuracy department to the SMK.

There is no excuse. and only a doe is a lame statement. what makes a doe less worthy than a buck ?
If all you are after is the kill, then stick to targets or prarie dogs, if you're seriouse about hunting then learn to do it right.

OK rant over..

we all make fuckups when hunting.,and anyone who says he never did is a better lier than a hunter, the main thing is learn from it.You dont want it to happen again.
While i have no problem with using match bullets on certain types of game,( i use 167gr scenars on Roe deer,(but not at any distance) and fox, they can be very unreliable. When the ranges get long you need reliable expansion, you aren't getting that from a match round.
Try some known performers, all the following have proven to be as accurate as match bullets for me:

Ballistic Tips, Accubond, Game King, Interlock, Partition, RWS Doppelkern (DK)

so back to the drawing board before hunting again i'd say.

Pete

</div></div>

Took the words out of my mouth Pete. Well said. I could never understand using target bullets for hunting. They "MAY" get the job done, but hunting bullets were created for a reason. If you call Sierra and ask them about matchkings for hunting, they strongly discourage them for hunting. And..some guys say they aren't happy with the accuracy of hunting bullets...you can get a Nosler,Barnes, Swift to shoot fairly close to that of a match bullet if you try. ..Certainly close enough for killing game. Lesson learned I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who have never missed or crippled without recovery obviously don't get to hunt enough. It happens to the best of us brother. </div></div>

That may be true as I have wounded one bear, all my other approx. 100 animals I have shot I have recovered. But there is a difference between taking as many precautions as possible so that you don't wound an animal and shooting one with a bullet that is not designed for animals because it shoots tiny little groups and then trying to shoot the animal at long range. An ethical hunter will select the correct bullet for the job and try to get as close as possible before taking the shot. People buy an accurate gun and right away they think they are a long range marksman.

shot some young does yesterday at 315 and 350yds with the 155 a-max. shot placement on both was center to high shoulder. the higher shot had a 4" exit and the center shoulder shot actually blew out a large portion of the offside shoulder blade. these bullets are very explosive and i was quite satisfied. i am afraid on larger deer you may not get an exit if that is important to you.

chuck

If you can shoot SMKs well then you can shoot accubonds well.

SMKS sometimes work. Accubonds almost always work and have great BCs. Smallest group my Remmy ever held was with accubonds so they will probably group as well as SMKs in your rifle. Why mess around? Dont know why this keeps coming up. Give yourself the best chance for success by shooting a better bullet so you dont have to break both shoulders to keep from losing a deer. A 45 cent Accubond is really not that expensive especially since they are second only to shot placement for the success of your hunt. Or if you value your own time looking for deer. If you misjudge the wind, a last second step/startle or poor trigger pull can lead to less than optimum shot placement and a good bullet could make the difference at that point. If you never miss a shot then by all means shoot SMKs into their brain.

I do shoot coyote with SMKs. And yes, even a 35lb coyote can get up and run after a broadside double lung shot with a 168 SMK...saw that very thing this morning after a 200 yard shot right behind the shoulderblade. Found it over the hill against a fence. Difference is, I dont care if I find the coyote cause it wont be a problem with the cattle anymore either way.

I had been using 180gr. Gamekings in .308 in my old Savage 99. There was never a question as to what the result was after the shot. In my new bolt (built on a 700 action) I started loading 168gr. Berger VLD's. Shooting 5 shot one hole groups @ 100yds. was good enough for the one shootin the rifle (me). I finally got my 1st buck with it, this season , but alas the 300+yd. shot I'd practiced for evaded me. Instead I got a mature Missouri Whitetail @ 40yds. I had read things about the Berger bullets not holding up at close range. From my experince , this was not the case. The bullet entered right behind the front shoulders, went approx. 3" in before exploding (just like Berger said it would) and DESTROYED the vitals, w/o exiting. This could be a load for you to consider. 168gr. Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands (check your rifle to see what shoots best, bullet seating is important with these bullets), in front of 42.5gr.(Max.) of Varget. On the other hand there ain't nothing wrong with the reliable ole GameKing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had to track a deer 3/4 of a mile after being shot through both front shoulders with a <span style="font-weight: bold">250gr sabot </span>out of a muzzleloader.

</div></div>

Next time put a bullet in the sabot.............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had to track a deer 3/4 of a mile after being shot through both front shoulders with a 250gr sabot out of a muzzleloader. I also had a friend track one after being shot in the head with a 7mm RM. After you track a deer that was shot in the head, where do you shoot to finish the kill? Obviously a head shot wouldn't do any good, he was already shot there.

Point being, some deer have the will to escape no matter where you shoot or what you shoot with, if you dont get a shot through the spine/neck.

I went back and ranged the failed shot this week. It was 322yds, I placed a 1 gal jug at the spot and tried the scenario again. dead center of the jug. </div></div>

Good for you - you hit the jug! When will you realize that a jug is not the same as a deer?

Using 250gr. Hornday SST's in front of 150gr. of Pyrodex pellets, I've yet to have a mature Whitetail buck @ 200 yd. range escape. The last one, recently shot, right @ 200yds. was hit a little far back on a slightly quartering away shot. Late in the season, less than ideal situation, my bad. However, he ran less than 100yds., leaving a GOOD blood trail and absorbed nearly all of the energy. I don't know what kind of bullet you are using, but maybe the SST's are worth giving a try? As for as the "head" shot....WHICH head did he hit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not picking on anybody specificly, but I would think that anybody with an IQ above room temperature would realize the following:

1) Deer are not hard to kill with proper bullet placement. They are notoriously hard to kill with poor bullet placement.

2) Proper bullet placement gets harder as the range gets longer; the light gets dimmer, the wind blows harder, and obstacles such as brush and trees intervene. Know your limitations, and that of your round.

3) One can assume that match bullets are made for shooting targets, and hunting bullets are made for shooting game. One is not the other. There is room and a purpose for both.

4) One can use any legal bullet they like for, whatever purpose they choose.

5) If a particular bullet works for you, great. If it does not meet your performance criteria, whatever that is, choose another that does.

</div></div>

Very well put. I personally use SMK's for hunting but I'm currently switching to a lighter bullet for more velocity so I"ll be using game kings from now on

Shoot some Barnes TSX's. They will turn the vitals into mush and retain almost all their weight.