• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UPDATE: Mauser 98K help needed

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

While I'm sure this isn't the normal bolt gun question, but still a bolt gun none the less...

I have a 1939 German Mauser 98K and at about 50 yards it shoots about 5-6" to the left. I tried to move the front sight blade as far as possible, but it just seem the rifle wants to shoot left.

It holds groups, which preplexes me, so it tells me the rifling is still half-good (or less). If anyone can offer some insight as to what I can do for this old girl, it would be great.

I'm not expecting much out of a 70-plus year old rifle, only to hit human targets within 300m, which shouldn't be asking much of a German MAUSER.

Re: Mauser 98K help needed

i hve to ask the obvious question is the barrel bent just a bit or is the crown bugered up both would play hell the crown should cause more eratic shot placement but a bent tube could send the bullets off to one side

As far as I can tell, the barrel seems to have decent rifling. I am moving the front sight blade as far left to compensate for the shots as possible within the front sight hood..

Yes 300m at human targets, which I don't think is too much to ask for a Mauser 98K...

I can take pictures of the crown tomorrow, but I don't think that's it... The barrel might be shot.

check the barrel is straight you should not be able to move the impact 3 feet with the front blade.

The rifles are quite accurate and generaly they are able to be made shoot moa without to much work but if the barrel is bent some people try to straighten them but i would try to get a replacement barrel and you will be GTG.

I think I figured out what is wrong with it.

The rear sight is hanging off the block a little bit to the left which is what I think the issue is.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get it off and flip it around to see if that takes care of the sight alignment issue.

Not that this may help anybody, but I'll post the answer anyway.

I took off the rear sight and one of the round nubs the sight pivots on wasn't round, it was like an egg shaped towards the front on the right side which was pushing the sight to the left.

I took out a file and filed her down and now it's 95% better.

I shoot Privi Partizan (sp?) 8mm ammo out of this bad boy, can anyone else recommend any better non-expensive ammo for the 98k?