• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update me on the .408 and .375/.408

VaRandy

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have been gone from this forum and shooting in general for about 5 years. Now that I am retired, I am BACK and very interested.

I have a .408 and a collection of the 305 and 419 LRBT bullets. I bought into the .408 because of the claimed .940 BC.

I was recently made aware of the .375 version an am really interested in cutting through the fat and evaluating it.

I have seen dubious claims of a 408 grain .375 with a BC of over 1.5!

What is the high mark of what has actually been accomplished with this round. (To qualify, there must be a round hole through the paper at the target!) What was used, what was the speed, and measured BC?

It looks like once again, claims are few and suspect. I am pretty sure that the absence of a gain twist barrel is not the only thing holding us back from outrageous claims.

Please help me through this quagmire to get the straight skinny.

Secondly, do any of the more recent .408 offerings have notable BC,s? What about the pressure bands and new metalurgies to reduce the significant fowling of the LRBTs?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Update me on the .408 and .375/.408

You probably are refering the to artice in special weapons where talking about projectiles list the 419 at .95 and the 305 grain at 1.1. I'm sure it was a typo. The 375 "rules the roost"...........

Basically the 375/408 stays supersonic another 400 yards or so over the .408CT, giving it a ballistics edge. The 305gr .408 projectiles decelerate too quickly to be effective beyond 1000 yards or so. There are now more options for .408 projectiles as of the last couple of years. In fact I would say component availability is far better than it was even a year ago.

VR,

Welcome back.

I am doing work on a new series of engraving-band style 6.5, and 7.0 caliber 375's. Bartlein will be making a run of LGT barrels which are purpose built for use with these projectiles.

If you are interested in actual field test results, I can put you in touch with "Augustus".

Best,
Noel

P.S. : I would be interested in having some original CheyTac projectiles for archival purposes. Want to trade a few?