• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UPDATE-mount question post#10 Old setup, but still works great

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
74DD3B75-8DFC-4860-8D2D-448A95544254.jpeg

For those as old as me, this setup was the shit at one point. Though this is an RMR instead of a Docter or Jpoint, it’s instantly familiar. I was not SF and out pre-GWOT so I never carried this setup but in my semi-public quest to find what is ideal for me for a lightweight handy rifle, I ran this setup today for the first time together.

What a nice system. Do I have to move my head down to get into the ACOG? Of course, but running the red dot as primary and using the ACOG for 200+ was quick and easy. I was able to put good shots on target from 12 yards to 300 and my head position when I bring the rifle up is about as good as it gets. We compared it to with a T2 on a 2” unity riser and they were basically identical. Go figure…

I did have something strange. I couldn’t zero the red dot initially. Even with the two front “touch” screws backed out and elevation maxed out I was 6’ low at 25 yards. I ended up backing the screws way out and slamming the palm of my hand down on the RMR a few times, problem solved. The elevation is still just a few MOA from the top but it works, even with the touch screws back down so F’ it.

It struck me today, again as this happens quite a bit recently, is that we keep reinventing the wheel. Most of the shit we do was figured out by our fathers and grandfathers year/decades ago. The “packaging” today may be better and there are obvious advantages to modern optics ( eye relief, etc.) but in the end it seems we are just polishing around the edges of things that were solved 25 years ago or more.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Good stuff. I've talked to guys that run red dots on top of lpvo or acogs they rotate the rifle and use their non dominant eye for close in work

I saw old set up and expected to see this:
5509d979706863ee8a93738ebbdae2bf.jpg

You are right, though. Much of what we do is a solution searching for a problem. Technology gives us a bump up every so often, but training will usually outweigh it.

Reactions: FatBoy
I have an RMR on a TREX 45* offset mounted under the objective of a gen3 1-10. They both work well. The 1-10 is more capable but it’s way heavier and makes the carbine top heavy. The eye relief is nice though.

One of the guys I’m going to compete with this fall is going to run a Delta Point Pro on the TREX 45* with his TA01. I may move one over to see how I like it.

I do like bringing the rifle straight up, and I find it easier to acquire the dot at 12 o’clock when changing to support side . I struggle badly to find it support side when it’s on a 45* mount. The red dot in the 1-10 is pretty easy to pick up though.

View attachment 7856322

You are right, though. Much of what we do is a solution searching for a problem. Technology gives us a bump up every so often, but training will usually outweigh it.
Geezus I've seen the red lenses goggles and totally forgot about them that is vintage kit lol

View attachment 7856322

This 4x carry handle colt is the same height as the tall is unity stuff . 🤔

This 4x carry handle colt is the same height as the tall is unity stuff . 🤔
That is actually a Singlepoint Occluded Eye Gunsight (OEG). The OG red dot. That was the first documented SOF use of red dot sights (Son Tay Raid, 1970).

Last edited:
Even mo’ better with a TA33 because you don’t have to have your eye lashes rubbing glass

Reactions: FatBoy
So changing up the thread a little to ask a question(s), I don’t like the big ass thumb screws on the ACOG mount but the height is fine. I like the slim profile of the Unity mount but I don’t need the extra height.

Question:

does anyone in carry a US made slick side ACOG mount like the Unity but standard height?

If not and I need to go QD I’d like to keep the throw level on the right side to keep the lever off my placard and away from my bolt release. I like the left side clean.

Any suggestions?

Found what I was looking for. Shaffer Machining sells a slim, non-snag mount that’s normal height. I should have it this week so hopefully next weekend I can put it through it’s paces. For those wondering how you pull the ACOG if you have to go to irons, I won’t. Anything violent enough to kill an ACOG would have me severely “ unserviceable “ ….

Got the mount today. What a difference.

Here is the Shaffer with the old Trijicon mount in front of it for reference.

F7A2C1CE-B6A0-463F-9FF8-67F26CF5247D.jpeg

Ran my first comp with this old ACOG (‘94 NSN TA01 for M16A4) and a 3.5moa RMR. Worked like a champ from 3 yards out to 600 running 77gr handloads.

We shot with the ROs on Friday, which had a pretty good mix of active 5SFG guys, spouses/girlfriends and great people who just wanted to be part of this charity event. I noticed quite a few rifles with the “same” setup as mine. Maybe a dozen or more.

I’m still contemplating a NX8 1-8 in a 1.5 mount with top mount red dot but If it never comes to be this setup proved it’ll still get the job done to 600 yards or so.

I found myself using the ACOG more than I expected. The 2-4” swingers from 10-30 yards were challenging until I started using the vertical portion of the reticle to line up with the stick on the lollipop and walla, hits.

The Shaffer mount was rock solid. The rifle didn’t get beat up too badly but it got crawled on. Grounded, etc and held zero. Nice piece if you’re looking to smooth out the sides.

Last edited: