• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report UPDATE!! Newbie Range Report REAL Happy Guy

rickcis

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
Weather - 42 degrees - Sunny
Load - 39.2 IMR 4895
Primer CCI Large Rifle
Bullet - Sierra Match 168 Grain
Rifle - New Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 with a 10 X 42 Super Sniper Scope. EGW Rail and Burris Tactical (Low) Rings.
First 50 rounds with this rifle - Sight in of scope

I am real happy with this rifle.
smile.gif

100_0109.jpg

100_0104.jpg

Re: Newbie Range Report - New Rifle - Happy Guy

Technically there should be ten, or 4 other five shot groups inside of 300 yards...but good start and I'm sure that rifle will serve you well. Have fun!

I have the same rifle with a ss 20x42, and if that makes you happy then take it out to 1000. can't beat that combo for the money.

yeah that's pretty much what to expect out of the box for that rifle...now save up and do what you can when you can....A stock will help, I went with a mcrees, buy a stock once... Mine cut me down to around .5 min. I hope future work will get it down to a quarter. great start!

UPDATE: 2nd Range Report

This is like bowling a 300 game, or shooting a 72 at Bayhill.

Date March 21st
Rifle - Remington 700 SPS Tactical - .308 EGW Base 15 MOA, Burris Xtreme Rings (Low), Super Sniper 10X42 Scope.
Bullet: Sierra 168 Match HP
Powder 39.2 Grains H4895
Primer CCI Large Rifle 200
Target at 100 Yards

First - Warmup

Then

100_0112.jpg

I am real happy with the decision to buy this rifle. This is a stock rifle out of the box with a Bipod and scope added.

I don't think I can ask for more. I will be sending it out to GAP this fall for modifications.

Does that model rifle come with a full length aluminum bedding block or just the pillars?

if it is a stock sps tactical hogue then it just comes with pillars not the full length aluminum bedding.

Fully stock - with Pillars

Rickcis,
You should try to up the grains on your load. I would think 39.2grs might be a little slow for you when you get to shooting longer ranges.

Just seen your using H4895 so maybe your ok I used to use IMR4895 and I think my load was in the 42 to 43gr range with the 168s. Not sure how the Hodgens compairs.

Rickcis,

I think that Raptor99 might be correct. I run 47 grains of H4895 with 168 SMK's and average 2690fps. I'm not sure what it would do to your short range accuracy, but you might want a little more punch when you take her out further. That's some fantastic shootin' on your paper and you should be proud. You got a nice set up. It just goes to show that you don't need a $5000 rifle to shoot ragged holes. All you need is a little luck( on you purchase.not all SPS's shoot like that) and a whole lot of practice.

Cheers!

**** S T O P *****

Do NOT try to put 47grains of H4895 into a .308 case!! I just woke up out of a dead sleep (it's 3:51am) and realized I posted load data for my 30.06 !!! PLEASE forgive me for being an idiot and always remember to consult a good reloading manual before using anyones load data from the net because there will always be some SOB (me) that gives you a bum steer.Sorry.Stiggy

Careful, had a freind call yesterday, He had blown a few primers,I measured his brass,Ten thousand to big on the case head.He had looked at the loading manual wrong.Instead of a 95 grain .243 diameter bullet he used the powder charge for a 55 grain bullet.Six grains over max.

6 grs over max?! Ouch! Glad he only blew some primers! Another reason to keep multiple loading manuals and multiple scales on the bench. Check and double check...then stop, think and triple check! Just to be safe.....