• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

update- SCAR arrived broken!

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I grabbed one of the new non rec. charging handle scars and I went to get it today and it has to be sent back to FN! When you pull the charging handle back it comes to far back and goes past where it is supposed to- into the notch where you take the handle out to take it apart and the charge handle literally falls out. Then you cannot get it to close by racking it- like it is stuck! You would have to probably see it but the point is it is not supposed to do that! BUT I called FN before I even left and they said, yeh that's not right! haha! And gave me a label to send it back. Great and fast customer service but a huge let down whey their flagship line of rifles leaves the shop literally non functioning. On a normal SCAR the handle goes back but stops before the notch and on this one every time you pull it back it can travel all the way to the rear, where normally the stock would have to be removed to do that.

Not bitching because they are taking care of it fast and I am sure it will be great. But thought I would relay the incident in case someone else gets a lemon. Very helpful people but he said he had no idea what was wrong with it. I am curious what would cause this. Has anyone seen this before?

OK, so the good and bad. FN was a pleasure to deal with. Emailed return label in minutes and had it back in one week! So, very impressed with their customer service and turn around time! They said they had to replace the entire carrier. They never said what was wrong and when I called they did not seem to know and just said carrier was replaced and function checked etc..

I got it out to the range right away and it is smooth and works 100%!

I could not get it to group great- which is not terribly surprising. Did get 77 IMI to shoot right at 1".

I got it home to take it apart to send the barrel for a chop and sweet jesus! No screw was the same torque. One I had to take a torch to and most were literally about loose. Like maybe 20 in lbs. when they are supposed to be 62. So, I am guessing when I assemble it correctly after the barrel is chopped it will tighten up.

So, very shitty that FN let a gun go that would literally not function, then send it back where it does but was clearly not put together with a torque wrench.

It just seems like half ass work honestly. You kind of expect more out of 3200 rifle. But now Dave Wilson has my barrel to cut and form 1 filed, so i am balls in it! haha! I really got it for a full time sup. gun and it will go good for that. but I would wait until they work the kinks out if you are looking at getting one of the new ones.

Last edited:
Good you checked it before the fire fight started. Built by an assembler who never fired a weapon. Never seen by a QC.... But it may be like taking a broken tool back to Harbor Freight and watching the guy there put it back on the self for the next guy who does not check it in the store.. Welcome to the new America...

It was kind of funny my buddies are at the FFL shop called me and said I think your scar is broken! I thought they were messing with me and sure enough I get there, go to rack it clear and the handle literally falls off in my hand! I am like wtf! We all messed with it, took it apart and put it back together and I cannot tell what is wrong with it. I have a 20 and they sure as shit are not supposed to just fall apart! haha!

28CEB274-1E67-42B9-A373-5A865065EEF4.gif

Mines lost in the safe. Haven’t seen it in a few years, hopefully it’s not broken

I remember reading more than one account of SCAR 17 rifles having broken stocks by the time customers picked them up from their FFL, so I guess this shouldn't be too surprising.

I grabbed one of the new non rec. charging handle scars and I went to get it today and it has to be sent back to FN! When you pull the charging handle back it comes to far back and goes past where it is supposed to- into the notch where you take the handle out to take it apart and the charge handle literally falls out. Then you cannot get it to close by racking it- like it is stuck! You would have to probably see it but the point is it is not supposed to do that! BUT I called FN before I even left and they said, yeh that's not right! haha! And gave me a label to send it back. Great and fast customer service but a huge let down whey their flagship line of rifles leaves the shop literally non functioning. On a normal SCAR the handle goes back but stops before the notch and on this one every time you pull it back it can travel all the way to the rear, where normally the stock would have to be removed to do that.

Not bitching because they are taking care of it fast and I am sure it will be great. But thought I would relay the incident in case someone else gets a lemon. Very helpful people but he said he had no idea what was wrong with it. I am curious what would cause this. Has anyone seen this before?
Did your NRCH SCAR come with a Giessele trigger?

No- reg. trigger. I am very curious what FN says is wrong with it. I hope they let me know and just do not ship it back.

Glad to see they "fixed" the reciprocating charging handle "problem."

Let me know how you like the rifle. I kind of want a 16S in my stable...