• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes **Update**Vortex PST Issue - Debris in Reticle

jakerz3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Oklahoma
I just got my 4-16x PST in the other day and took it out for it's first range session. I mounted it to a Remington 700 in 308 with a Badger base and Badger rings all within spec. While sighting it in I experienced an issue. The first 8 rounds fired, the scope and rifle performed flawlessly. After that, things went downhill.

When getting ready to fire my 9th shot, I noticed some debris in the reticle. I zoomed in completely to make sure, and sure enough, there were large "flakes" that looked like it could be paint or some kind of residue.

I tried to wipe off both lenses to see if there was something on them and that it wasn't internal. No luck. I fired 3 more rounds and the debris would move around. Good news is, regardless of this issue, the scope still held zero and worked great otherwise.

I called Vortex's Customer Service (which seemed top notch) and they said that they will have to send me a new one, but they are currently out of stock and will call me when they are back in stock (2-3 weeks). We'll see... I hope to hear from them soon. I'll try and get a picture up of the reticle with the debris, but it might be hard to see with my camera.

I thought I would share with anyone that has or is thinking about purchasing this scope. I still think the scope is great and hope to get a lot more use out of it once it is replaced.

-Jake

Re: Vortex PST Issue

I'm having the same issue.
I have some black flakes in the rear of the scope.
I think if any kind of cleaner gets on the rubber rings it degrades it and it begins to come apart. I got a tiny amount of Hoppes on mine and it wont' stop flaking.
It's very hard to get off the lens. I think the rubber is very low quality.

Any caustic chemical will degrade an O ring.
That is one reason why, when you clean your rifles, to have the scope covers in place.
Hoppes has petroleum distillates in it, very bad news for rubber of any quality.

Regrettably, these reports on the PST line are not rare. It probably would have been cheaper for Vortex in the long run to source them out of Japan instead of the Philippines. Fewer returns, fewer warranty issues.

I haven't cleaned the scope with any kind of solvent at this point. I only used the cloth that was provided. Thank you for the heads up for future use though.

Hit it on a phone book.. Had the same problem with a Zeiss and it will knock the debris off and will stick to inside of scope. You gotta hit it too, don't just tap it!

I was disappointed as well when my PST showed up with Made in the Philippines etched under the scope. A Vortex rep told me they were going to be manufactured on the same lines as the Razor in Japan when I ordered it.

Luckily it is performing very well with over 500 rounds shot under it.

Vortex does have excellent customer service though. A buddy of mine dropped is Razor binos down a cliff this past season. There was a shipment from Vortex waiting for him at the post office when he went to ship out the pieces he was shipping back.

To his surprise, they sent him new binos before he sent his back. I've been sold on their service ever since.

All of that to say they'll take care of you and anyone else that has any issues.

I wouldn't go banging it on a phone book unless thier CS department told you too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit it on a phone book.. Had the same problem with a Zeiss and it will knock the debris off and will stick to inside of scope. You gotta hit it too, don't just tap it!</div></div>

Really? And you did it with a Zeiss!? I'm not scared to try it, as it is going back to Vortex anyway. I'm just skeptical...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit it on a phone book.. Had the same problem with a Zeiss and it will knock the debris off and will stick to inside of scope. You gotta hit it too, don't just tap it!</div></div>

Really? And you did it with a Zeiss!? I'm not scared to try it, as it is going back to Vortex anyway. I'm just skeptical... </div></div>

Yep after sending one back with the same issue and having to wait for a replacement. I got the replacement and it had a spec in it too. I didn't want to wait again so I wacked it on a thick phone book twice and spec was gone! Never saw it again either.

Its your scope do what you want, but it worked for me.

This is not that uncommon with optics in my experience.

My first brand new USO came from the folks at USO graciously exchanging a used one I bought for a brand new one (with many more features too, LOL) because the used one had several specks of debris floating around in it.

Doug at CL was kind enough to replace not 1 but 2 Zeiss scopes because of debris in the sight picture.

The Zeiss' were SFP scopes so the debris was not near as bad as on the USO because FFP scopes magnify the debris.

So, if your PST is FFP it will be worse. I havent read the responses but I am sure guys are pointing out that you should make a quick call to the guys at Vortex. They are as good as USO and Doug at CL about taking care of their customers. In others words, as good as it gets.

Enjoy your PST, phenomenal optics at an amazing price.

Edit- Whacking it on a semi hard object can dislodge the debris and it will stick to grease on the inside of the scope and you may never see it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't go banging it on a phone book unless thier CS department told you too. </div></div>

Why? Are you familiar with the VIP warranty? Not to mention, it works. It is probably what USO and Vortex and everyone else does when they get a return for debris in the sight picture. Easy fix, and it wont harm a quality optic.

Title says PST issue. Posts say it's a general scope issue. Which is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't go banging it on a phone book unless thier CS department told you too. </div></div>

Why? Are you familiar with the VIP warranty? Not to mention, it works. It is probably what USO and Vortex and everyone else does when they get a return for debris in the sight picture. Easy fix, and it wont harm a quality optic. </div></div>

A PST is NOT the same as a USO, Nightforce or S&B.

If it was, it would cost 2 to 3 times as much.

What if it cracks the lens or dislodges the erector assembly? Now you have incurred unnecessary damage to the optic. That is a disservice to both the OP and to Vortex.

Why should Vortex have to lose out on this because you told the OP to smash his scope on a phonebook?

Call Vortex explain issue and see what they want you to do.

I have seen this before and just smacked scope into my hand to move spec to side of tube so it would stick away from FOV.

Specs generally are from one of two sources. Bits of anodizing flaking off and is normal or debris getting inside scope during manufacturing.

I would personally give it a smack in my hand unless you have girly hands LOL

If that did not work I would just call Vortex and ask

^^My hands are questionable... lol. I'm pretty sure it's the anodizing. Like I said in my first post, I have called Vortex and they are more than happy to exchange the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Title says PST issue. Posts say it's a general scope issue. Which is it?</div></div>

Read the first post by me the OP. This is an issue with my PST. The solution, provided by other people in their dealing with their scopes has been to knock the debris around until it is gone. Which I plan on doing. If it works, I win. If it doesn't work, I still win because Vortex customer service is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not hold a spec or two against any scope company. It happens in every single brand out there</div></div>

It's good to know. I plan on giving it a good whack or two when I get home and hopefully this resolves my issue. Like another poster said, with FFP and zoomed in, the specs are HUGE!!

It is pretty common. I have had two IORs do this, a Meopta, and a Bushnell.

Banging them on a phone book or something does infact help.

It is just some anodizing that got loose. Many times when you bang it it will just stick somewhere else and never cause a problem again.

So a whack will not work with this scope like it does with a USO, Nightforce, or S&B because this scope is NOT the same?

Those 3 scopes, though they share the same problem as the PST with specs on the lenses, have something in common with each other that allows for some whacking to clear up their specs and that same something is what drives up the cost over the PST? Also the lack of it does not allow the same whacking with the PST?

Is that certain something actually tangible? Is it really expensive to manufacture? What is it exactly?
And how do you know? Are you intimately familiar with the internals of each? Do you really have each scope and have taken them apart so you would have a basis for your claims?

Have you done a speck whacking comparison that I missed? Have you posted it?
Please provide the address.

Thanks.

Re: Vortex PST Issue - Debris in Reticle

It would seem that fdkay is trying to insinuate that hitting the Viper PST against a phone book will break the scope.

Uh... sure. Yeah, that's why Vortex can give a lifetime warranty on their products - because a $900 scope can't survive a whack against a phone book.
crazy.gif

I have a 6-24X PST and now that I think about it, this happened to mine too. I did the phone book thing, but the spec (a rather large spec) wasn't budging. I didn't worry too much about it and wasn't hot to send it in, since I had just gotten it back from Vortex.

I just shot it as it was. I was (and still am) running it on top of my .22 bench rifle. I ran it until the reticle rattled loose and canted. Then I sent it in and had the spec taken care of. Actually, when I sent it in, I called complaining that it was the second time that I had to send that scope in. They sent me a new scope. I know it was a new scope because they said it was and a ding that I had on mine wasn't there when I got the replacement in.

I'm not going to make any representations about how tough the PST is. In fact, I haven't kept the fact that I don't like it much a secret, but I have to hand it to their customer service. They made good on the warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a whack will not work with this scope like it does with a USO, Nightforce, or S&B because this scope is NOT the same?

Those 3 scopes, though they share the same problem as the PST with specs on the lenses, have something in common with each other that allows for some whacking to clear up their specs and that same something is what drives up the cost over the PST? Also the lack of it does not allow the same whacking with the PST?

Is that certain something actually tangible? Is it really expensive to manufacture? What is it exactly?
And how do you know? Are you intimately familiar with the internals of each? Do you really have each scope and have taken them apart so you would have a basis for your claims?

Have you done a speck whacking comparison that I missed? Have you posted it?
Please provide the address.

Thanks.

</div></div>

WTF are you going on about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

WTF are you going on about?</div></div>

I think he's referring to fdkay's post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that fdkay is trying to insinuate that hitting the Viper PST against a phone book will break the scope.

Uh... sure. Yeah, that's why Vortex can give a lifetime warranty on their products - because a $900 scope can't survive a whack against a phone book.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Uh, yeah. like the USO, NF and S&B's are made in the philippines.

If you want to pound your scope on a phone book, have at it.

I just don't agree with telling someone else to pound their 850 dollar scope on a phonebook.

And yes, I personally believe that a USO or NF is more durable than a PST.

If hitting your PST on phone book/hand breaks it then you should send it back to Vortex!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that fdkay is trying to insinuate that hitting the Viper PST against a phone book will break the scope.

crazy.gif
</div></div>

I just don't agree with telling someone else to pound their 850 dollar scope on a phonebook.

And yes, I personally believe that a USO or NF is more durable than a PST. </div></div>

I was absolutely NOT insinuating that a Vortex Viper PST is more durable than a USO, NF or S&B. It isn't.

Your initial reply seemed to imply that a Viper PST could not handle being hit against a phone book. I beg to differ. While it isn't a $1600 NF, it can certainly handle a far share of abuse, and hitting it against a phone book isn't cause for concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that fdkay is trying to insinuate that hitting the Viper PST against a phone book will break the scope.

crazy.gif
</div></div>

And yes, I personally believe that a USO or NF is more durable than a PST. </div></div>

I was absolutely NOT insinuating that a Vortex Viper PST is more durable than a USO, NF or S&B. It isn't.

Your initial reply seemed to imply that a Viper PST could not handle being hit against a phone book. I beg to differ. While it isn't a $1600 NF, it can certainly handle a far share of abuse, and hitting it against a phone book isn't cause for concern. </div></div>

Send me your PST and i'll smack it against a phonebook.

I don't have a problem with mine and even if I did, I somehow think that I could manage it myself rather than pay to send a $900 optic to a total stranger... But thanks for the offer, all the same.

By the way, here was my first experience with USO - and I didn't even hit a phonebook with that one to break it:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...215#Post2296215

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better find another PST thread to go shit in! </div></div>

Is this directed at me because I had an issue with them teling someone to hit a phonebook with their scope?

If anyone thinks whacking a scope on a phone book is going to break it, they should think about what it goes through mounted on a rifle. If a scope won't survive the phone book, it sure as shit won't take any recoil. WTF people???

What's a phone book? Do I need to have the google 411 page open when I whack my scope against my computer?
grin.gif

^^^true. I'll have to look around and see if I even own a phone book.

Negative comments from fdkay on the PST in this forum have been boringly consistent since before their release. If he had one it might make more sense.

I have one and it is right on the money. Pretty nice. I feel confident dialing my yardage right next to NF's and USO's or whatever.
Not to bag on any other scope. The Weaver and the SS look pretty nice too.

Debris in the reticle is common with all scope brands. The phone book treatment is old news too. I think I saw it first for a USO years ago.

I had the same problem with my 4-16 ffp mrad recently. I sent it to vortex also asking if I could update to the 6-24 possibly. While they didn't have any 6-24s in stock they had one that was sent back with the same 'specs' issue that they are upgrading me too free of charge that they have fixed! I would've had to pay the difference on a NIB one which they said was an option but I went with the free upgrade instead. Thank you vortex u guys rock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative comments from fdkay on the PST in this forum have been boringly consistent since before their release. If he had one it might make more sense. </div></div>

I made no negative comments in this post, I did comment on the fact that they have a record of issues. That is the truth, not negativity or bashing.

I guess you missed several of my posts where I recommended that people consider the Vortex PST's in their choice?

My contention was that the OP should not smack his scope on a phone book without first talking to Vortex.

FWIW, I wanted to buy a PST, but after being a year behind schedule, I got something else.
That does NOT mean I would not buy one in the future but personally, I would MUCH rather buy a scope made in Japan than one made in the Philippines.

I tire of the fanboyism when they refuse to see the faults that are there.

A $850 scope with features and glass being compared to scopes costing 2-3 times as much is going to have some faults. For god sake even those scopes that are 2-3 times as much have their faults. Hitting it on a phonebook to remove a spec has been a proven method of removing those little bastards for a while now. Smack it a few times, if its still there, call Vortex. Problem Solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A $850 scope with features and glass being compared to scopes costing 2-3 times as much is going to have some faults. For god sake even those scopes that are 2-3 times as much have their faults. Hitting it on a phonebook to remove a spec has been a proven method of removing those little bastards for a while now. Smack it a few times, if its still there, call Vortex. Problem Solved. </div></div>

That's the plan. Either way it's a win for me.

Thanks for all the help/info guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative comments from fdkay on the PST in this forum have been boringly consistent since before their release. If he had one it might make more sense. </div></div>

I made no negative comments in this post, I did comment on the fact that they have a record of issues. That is the truth, not negativity or bashing.<span style="color: #FF0000">What "record of issues"? All companies have issues of some sort.(I found that out while waiting on my first Premier, and while waiting on 2 Zeiss returns, and when USO was replacing a scope because of debris. They HOOKED me up when they did so as well)The important part is that they have a relatively low percentage of issues, and critically how well they handle them. Vortex does very well at this.</span>

I guess you missed several of my posts where I recommended that people consider the Vortex PST's in their choice?<span style="color: #FF0000">Say what you want to try and obfuscate it, but the only reason I even recognize your user name is because you consistently imply Vortex is not a good value or is somehow less desirable than XX, in post after post. I doubt I am the only one. either.</span>

My contention was that the OP should not smack his scope on a phone book without first talking to Vortex.<span style="color: #FF0000">Fine, then you could have simply stated "Hey OP, before smacking a scope on a phone book, you should contact the mfg of said optic. Instead, you passive-aggressively implied that Vortex scopes shouldnt be banged, not the high dollar optics. Implication obvious"</span>

FWIW, I wanted to buy a PST, but after being a year behind schedule, I got something else.<span style="color: #FF0000">Waiting for high demand items is part of the game, and shouldnt necessarily engender negativity toward the mfg. It just happens sometimes. (Ask my buddy who is waiting for his Snipers Hide rifle build from last year, I think. Hell maybe it is the 09 build, I cant remember but I am sure there are plenty here who do remember. Apparently the guy building those is having all kinds of delays)</span>
That does NOT mean I would not buy one in the future but personally, I would MUCH rather buy a scope made in Japan than one made in the Philippines.<span style="color: #FF0000">Why?</span>

I tire of the fanboyism when they refuse to see the faults that are there.<span style="color: #FF0000">Everyone tires of fanboyism, personally, I just ignore fanboys. But I am also careful to make sure someone is a fanboy, as opposed to someone who just happens to know more about something than I do. Also, I tire of dilettante's. We need a word that is the opposite of fanboy. People who, for whatever reason, dislike a product and go out of their way to make sure and voice their dislike of said product in every thread they can, but try to appear impartial. Hoping to make others think they have really given said product a fair shake, but just cant, in good conscience, advocate the product. LOL. </span>
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">We get it. You dont like Vortex PST's, but yes you do.

Just dont dare let anyone compare them to scopes of true quality, in your mind.

I am one of those guys you refer to as a fanboy. But the background info you seem to miss is this. I own, and have owned and used a lot, scopes in every price range I can afford. The only elite scope I havent owned is a Hensoldt, but likely will one day, because they seem so fucking bad ass. Do I need $3200 scopes? Nope, I just like the shit out of them.

I am not stupid enough to expect an $850 PST to be as overbuilt internally as a Schmidt or Hensoldt. That would be stupid. I do however fully believe they are internally just as superb a value as they are optically, mechanically, and in every other way.

After owning 4 now, I am putting off any more high dollar optics purchases because for me the PST does everything my Schmidt's, USO's, Premier's, etc can do for me. They work perfectly and I can buy 3-4 PST's for every high dollar piece of glass. (This is what separates me from a fanboy. When you see me glowingly praise the PST for delivering not only superb value, but also a very high end overall product, I do so because I have compared the PST's to the $3000 scopes in the environments in which I use them, and have realized for my purposes the PST is exactly what I claim it is. Not fanboyism when it is fact. I dont fight with my rifles, nor are lives on the line, but I have no reason to doubt that the PST wont ultimately become fully trusted in these roles as well for those who need this)

For many members here, this is the case. So, it is annoying to see you pop up in every PST thread attempting to make sure everyone keeps the PST's in the blue light special category in which you seem to think they belong.

Of course there are differences between the PST's and the 3K scopes. Duh. But the point that many people experienced with both PST's AND $3K scopes are trying to make is, is that the PST's are delivering all the performance that 95% of us need at a fraction of the cost. And they do so with superb clarity, accuracy, warranty, fit/finish and overall quality. You are not giving up much but you are saving enough to buy 3 more superb optics to outfit other rifles, or use to buy more ammo to train, or go to Rifles Only, etc.. They are great values that are great for us as optics buyers.

No product is going to be everyone's favorite, and assuming you have put your time in behind the PST, you have every right to be less impressed by them than I and a lot of others are. But to go out of your way to pop up in nearly every thread where someone posts something positive about their new scope that they are proud of just makes you look like an ass IMO.

PST proved it could be done. Now step aside and watch the market flood with great values. That is what competition does bro.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What "record of issues"? </div></div>

Apparently you forgot about the stoppage of production for about 9 months and numerous reports of the glass in the 4-16 models bring somewhat inferior to the glass in other models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Fine, then you could have simply stated "Hey OP, before smacking a scope on a phone book, you should contact the mfg of said optic. Instead, you passive-aggressively implied that Vortex scopes shouldnt be banged, not the high dollar optics. Implication obvious" </div></div>

I DID say that, it was others that insisted that since it was used on other optics, that it was OK to do it with the PST. Apparently in your haste to attack, you failed to read my post that it was a disservice to Vortex and the OP to possibly damage the scope.
I NEVER implied that it would, but it is a possibilty.

I WAS NOT the one to compare the PST scope to more expensive scopes, that was another poster mentioning doing it with a Zeiss.

I SPECIFICALLY stated tht he should NOT bang it on a phone book unless the CS department advised him to do it. Indicating that his FIRST course of action should be to contact Vortex. Apparently, that is when you took offense and went on the attack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't go banging it on a phone book unless thier CS department told you too. </div></div>

Why? Are you familiar with the VIP warranty? Not to mention, it works. It is probably what USO and Vortex and everyone else does when they get a return for debris in the sight picture. Easy fix, and it wont harm a quality optic. </div></div>

YOU are the one that brought USO into the conversation, not me.

After YOU brought up USO, I merely stated that a PST was NOT the equivalent of a USO or NF. Once again, I never said or implied that they were inferior to any scope in their price bracket.

It then became a pile on of sorts, which is fine.

If Vortex is confident that this would be an easy fix and the OP should try it, fine. But let Vortex make the call. Not you or anyone else on an internet forum.

You see the boogey man when he isn't there.

Attack? LOL.

I typed that as I ate supper and talked to my daughters about their days.

We disagree. Having owned most all of them, I am just as comfy banging the PST on a phonebook to clear a speck as I would be any of my USO's or Schmidt's or Premier's I have owned.

Same as my Nikon Buckmark.

Only reason I refuted what you said is because of the hypocrisy of you decrying "fanboys" as you do the exact same thing from the opposite perspective.

Say whatever you want. We all have our own opinions. Mine, which pale in comparison to the experience of many of the patriots on this board, are based on experience with most all of the scopes mentioned here. I shoot for fun, and I traipse through the woods with a rifle slung on my back and climb up and down trees with my rifles. Thats all I do. I know, not asking much of them. But based on that context, and after using most all of these scopes for several years and a fair amount of rounds, I have come to the conclusion that the PST is one of the top values in the world of optics. Period. And just a great, high end optic on its face.

When you bring up shit about a delay in production to rectify an issue that many companies would have simply dealt with on the much smaller scale of only the people who sent them in, it is intellectually dishonest and reveals an agenda. Yes, the delay happened, but if you dont look deeper and ask yourself why they chose the course they chose, when they had other options, you are spinning the issue to try and back up your slanted agenda.

Instead of letting it go and only fixing the ones who demanded it, they nutted up and took the (inevitable) unfair hit from folks like you and said we are shutting it down and recalling them all because despite the low price, we intend to put out a world class piece of glass.

That was not only an honorable thing to do, but made a statement to all their competitors. Vortex is putting out a $2K optic for $850. If they want to compete they are going to have to go after this value minded market as well. It is already happening, and this is GREAT for all optics consumers who are value minded but want a high end optic at the same time. If you were being honest you'd give them their due credit.

But for whatever reason, you are more interested in trying to fight the huge tide of folks (notice how hard it was to get them for, like, ever?) who are recognizing the PST for what it is, one of, if not the, best value in the industry for most every shooter. But most definitely for the average Joe who shoots like I do.

ETA- As to your PST vs NF comment, I disagree. If i were going to have to mount it and use it, there is no way I would trade a PST straight across for a NF NSX. I have used them both plenty and straight up think the PST is overall a better optic. The only thing the PST gives up is the long term durability question. PST simply hasnt had the time in field to match the stellar record of the NSX. But that didnt slow people down in the least when the Premier Heritage was released. And I was on that waiting list too.

ETA 2- You say that you arent a Vortex basher, and that you give them a fair shake and just call it as you see it. But. When a guy posts a thread about having debris in the image plane of his PST (A problem that anyone with much experience with optics knows is not at all uncommon with even the highest level of glass) this is your "unbiased, and perfectly fair response"...- "Regrettably, these reports on the PST line are not rare. It probably would have been cheaper for Vortex in the long run to source them out of Japan instead of the Philippines. Fewer returns, fewer warranty issues."

"Regrettably" huh? uhhhh, yeah. LOL. "These reports are not rare". Really? This is the first time I ever remember hearing about this (not uncommon with optics) issue with a PST. "Probably cheaper long run to run these out of Japan than the PI" Really? And you get your stats where? I dont think you are trying to get across that it may have saved Vortex money in the long run to make these in Japan due to fewer claims, like NF, I think you were trying to illustrate that these scopes come from the PI, and by extension imply that they are not high quality scopes because of it.

If anything, the fact that the PST's are at least partially made in the PI, raises my opinion of the PI as opposed to lowering my opinion of Vortex for doing it. Apparently one of their design goals was to deliver high end glass to shooters with mid level budgets. To do so, a company has to take steps that the $3k glass folks cant take, like producing them in a country that can save them money they can pass along to us. Based on my excellent results with several PST's (1-4, 4-16 ad 6-24) it appears that Vortex maintained very high quality standards despite choosing the PI as a build site.

Hmmm. I got my first NF in 2002. After mounting it I noticed a speck in the lens. I took it out to the range any way. After shooting a few rounds the speck went away and has never returned. I have a new PST FFP that has not been mounted yet. I've looked thru it all the way thru the power range and see no specks, the turrets are well marked and the clicks are very positive. I purchased it after using my Vortex Razor spotting scope and seeing its quality. And the fact that the Vortex folks are top notch in CS.
I guess, if I tried, I could nit pick anything I've ever bought. I could really nitpick this thread.
The OP had an issue, called Vortex, got a positive response and that really should have been it. I don't think it was time to then go on line here and post about his issue. Were you trying to cut down the PST or trying to say that they provided good CS or that you hate the scope and Vortex?
For all you guys who have whacked your NF, USO, Ziess, etc on the phone book and want to come on here and talk the PST down ........ well I guess that is just the internet these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For all you guys who have whacked your NF, USO, Ziess, etc on the phone book and want to come on here and talk the PST down ........ well I guess that is just the internet these days. </div></div>

Did you even read this thread? Where did anyone who suggested using the phone book talk the PST down? Post like yours are what turn every PST thread into a pissing match.