• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Updated Applied Ballistics Kestrel Model - New Computer

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    As I noted in the original thread announcing the Applied Ballistics Kestrel Model, I have moved to a different computer as I am more of a MAC guy than a Windows person. My one Windows computer was lacking Bluetooth (much to my surprise) and was running Windows 7. Today I got a Surface Pro from MS and went about updating my Kestrel and installing both the AB Loader and Patagonia Ballistics ColdBore 1.0 on the unit.

Everything worked 100%

I brought my Kestrel to the store and tried pairing it there. The MS Surface paired with no issue, so I bought the unit. It's running Windows 8.1 and is the tablet option. While I was waiting I did notice a bunch of hybrid Laptops like the Sony Vaio tablet / Laptop and the Lenovo Yoga that were a bit cheaper than the Surface running the same thing. So it's safe to say those would work too.

Still not a windows fan, but everything worked, and the unit is mobile and that makes me happy. Having something I might actually use will make it easier. Especially with Applied Ballistics and ColdBore on the same machine running at the same time.

No issues, up and running with just a few points of pain. The Surface had to be restarted twice to get the Kestrel to trade profiles with the software and I did update the Firmware which was actually very painless. So if you are interested in something portable and smallish, the Surface works. (don't get the RT model)

I have had a lot of success with the AB Kestrel I plan on moving even further with it now that I have a computer that I can work with.