• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Updated my work rifle a bit

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I spent a very unpleasant Sunday several weeks ago carrying my duty rifle for around 8 hours. During that time it dawned on me that while it was nice and compact, it weighed more than it needed to. I decided to change a few things and try to save some weight while possibly improving it's usefulness. I took off the Surefire drop in rail, Surefire M951 light, crooked GG&G BUIS, monstrous "AA" EOTech, factory stock and the two point sling that I wasn't crazy about. Here is how she sits now:

P1020887.jpg

P1020886.jpg

I installed a Magpul CTR, MOE forend, Light kit, Surefire M600 light, ASAP, RSA and MS2 sling. I also added a Larue RISR, Aimpoint T1 mount and m600 mount, Troy Diopter BUIS (jury is still out on this one) and a new Aimpoint T1. I zeroed the rifle yesterday and it feels a bit more balanced now. I've got a Troy modular aluminum VFG on order which I plan to install in it's shortest configuration. I've always been a magwell hold guy but have been experimenting with getting my support hand farther out on the rifle and it appears to be an improvement.

I've also got a PWS FC556 I'm going to try out to see if it reduces felt recoil for faster follow up shots. I've heard good things about them from a friend but I'd be interested to hear input from others experiences as well.

Re: Updated my work rifle a bit

Phylo
It looks good. Any idea how much weight you knocked off?

I haven't put anything on a scale but held mine in one hand and one of the other rifles still set up like mine was in the other and there was a noticeable difference. The balance point was definitely shifted rearward which is helpful. The barrel under the handguards is a monster so it's still not as light as I would like it to be, I may invest in a Colt 6933 to get a light profile barrel. I never shoot this one on full auto so I wouldn't miss that option.

Sir,
What is that mounted on the handguard just behind the light on the first pic?
Rig looks GTG, how do you like the MOE handguard as I have been thinking of replacing my regular round plastics with one.
Thanks,
Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir,
What is that mounted on the handguard just behind the light on the first pic?
Rig looks GTG, how do you like the MOE handguard as I have been thinking of replacing my regular round plastics with one.
Thanks,
Rick </div></div>

That's the Magpul RSA: LINK. I like the MOA hand guards. Nothing terribly fancy but you can put rails where you need them and it's lighter than a quad rail.

The dimpling isn't a bad idea. I though about having it reprofiled under the hand guards but it's a department rifle and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it. Everything else goes with me when I leave the team and I'll put all of the Dept equipment back on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Battle Comp muzzle brake also. It is quieter than the FSC566 and just as good. </div></div>

I'll definitely do that, thanks for the head's up. I haven't seen or heard of it before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Battle Comp muzzle brake also. It is quieter than the FSC566 and just as good. </div></div>

+1 on that, not sure if I would want to use an FSC indoors...loud as hell outside, probably worse inside

I should have a Battle Comp 2.0 on the way tomorrow for a T&E with the option to buy. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, it definitely looks like a better option for my application than the PWS FC556. Guess I'll put the FC556 up for sale when it gets in.

Very nice looking rifle. What type of cheek riser is that on your CTR? I may be in the market for something like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to be the larue RISR. </div></div>

Correct. Of the handful of guys who have tried it, most cannot get a sight picture through the irons with it on there. I lock down pretty low so it works for me but is probably not an option for everybody.

Hmm, never even thought of that in regards to irons. I've seen them on a couple scoped rifles. I wonder if those guys have ever tried to use their irons. It may be too late when they figure out that they cant get a good cheekweld to see through their back-up sights.