• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Updated - NXS distortion - Fixed!!!!

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
I just got my new NXS 3.5-15X50 and it seems to have serious distortion on the higher power settings, enough to cause serious eye strain. The image appears cloudy and out of focus. WTF!?!?!?! Just dropped $1400+ on glass and get this crap! This is my first NF and I hope I just have a bad apple. I will be calling NF today to arrange sending it back.

Re: NXS distortion

And did you focus the reticle? That is definitely not normal for a Nightforce scope. If there is a problem they will fix it.

I focused the reticle and adjusted for parallax. When looking into a brushy area, there is no definition, its all a green blur. My Falcon Menace was 10x clearer than this and my MK4 was 20x clearer!!! Also, this has "made in Japan" stamped on the tube, but I thought NF are made in the USA. What gives?

DK-1,

Give me a call. I have not seen this before with one of our optics and I would be more than happy to see what I can do to get you squared away.

Regards,
Ken

KEN-NF is a member here and works for/owns? Nightforce...and I think they are made in Idaho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KEN-NF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DK-1,

Give me a call. I have not seen this before with one of our optics and I would be more than happy to see what I can do to get you squared away.

Regards,
Ken </div></div>

beat me to it

Japan makes some good glass. China does not. Had a set of Fujicon bino's that were almost as good as the Ziess of the same mag. The Ziess was better but also another $500 and just couldn't swing it.

Gave Ken a call, GREAT Guy!!! I am having several other shooters look through it today to see if they feel the same. I will try to re-focuss the reticle and see if that makes any difference. I have complete confidence after talking to Ken that if there is a problem, it will be promptly solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now thats customer service! </div></div>

Yea Ken over at Nightforce is top notch, had me up and running qiuck and was on top of it the whole way. Have no worries, NF will get it right.

Just spoke with Ken again. I am having some success getting the image to clear up using the eye piece focus. I am still working on it, but it has improved.

Funny this came up.

I when shooting with a pal on Sunday (raining, shitty day) and his nightforce was terrible. I was spotting his shots through my Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 and was clearly seeing hits.

We were having a problem getting zeroed, so I asked if I could take a crack at it. After looking through my Weaver for about 30 min, then looking through his NF, i about shit. The optics were horrible, and it didnt track worth a shit either. We didnt have the ammo to try a box test, the purpose was to chrony some loads, and accuracy test, so that will be for another day, but I am going to have him PM ken and see what the deal is. It was a 3.5-15 MIL ret with MOA adjustments. 4 clicks at 100 yards was not 1" movement, it was all over the place.

Well, I messed with the focus a bit and mounted it on my rifle. This is the best I could get out of it so far.

About 1500 yards on 15x
[img:left] [/img]

About 325 yards on 15x

Same conditions, different angle

Same distance, different time of day, MK4 on 14x

These were all taken with the same camera from the same place. Make your own assessment. I will try another pic with the NXS tomorrow at the same time of day the MK4 pic was taken.

I’m a total newb here, but my recent trip to my local NF dealer yielded similar results to the photos above. Initially, I went to look at different NF reticles in an attempt to decide which NXS to order. However, to my eyes, the Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm was noticeably more clear and crisp than the NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm. I was stunned looking at these two side by side. Based on everything I’ve read, I expected the NF to be considerably clearer. I adjusted the NF for more than 15 minutes thinking I must have something adjusted wrong. I walked away convinced something was wrong with the shop's demo model. At this point, I think I'm going to save $600 and go with the Leupold.

Please don't take my bad experience with this glass to the bank. I am not writing it off yet and will give NF all the chances to figure it out. If this is on par for NF I will be in the market for another MK4 LR/T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m a total newb here, but my recent trip to my local NF dealer yielded similar results to the photos above. Initially, I went to look at different NF reticles in an attempt to decide which NXS to order. However, to my eyes, the Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm was noticeably more clear and crisp than the NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm. I was stunned looking at these two side by side. Based on everything I’ve read, I expected the NF to be considerably clearer. I adjusted the NF for more than 15 minutes thinking I must have something adjusted wrong. I walked away convinced something was wrong with the shop's demo model. At this point, I think I'm going to save $600 and go with the Leupold. </div></div>

Did you notice if it was stamped "Made in Japan" or USA? Same question to Hasgunwilltravel.

It was marked "made in Japan". The shop owner told me only the 1-4x and 2.5-10x are made in the USA, the higher power NXS scopes are made in Japan.

According to the literature, the new FFP scopes are made in the USA. Ken from NF advised that some of the tubes are now outsourced to Japan, but they are still hand assembled here in Idaho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The F1 (FFP) is made in the US the rest of the NF line is made in Japan. </div></div>

Has it always been that way?

This thread has me a little worried.My new NSX just came UPS a few days ago and I have not had the chance to mount it or give it a good look over.It ia a 5.5-22x56 mlr/mil radian knobs.I wiil take it out back tommorrow and view it under various power settings then post my findings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The F1 (FFP) is made in the US the rest of the NF line is made in Japan. </div></div>

Has it always been that way? </div></div>

My understanding from speaking with NF is that the main tube is made in Japan, the scope is assembled in the US.

My understanding were they were made in the USA, I didnt get a good look, as it was mounted, but will check it out, and have my pal post results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m a total newb here, but my recent trip to my local NF dealer yielded similar results to the photos above. Initially, I went to look at different NF reticles in an attempt to decide which NXS to order. However, to my eyes, the Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm was noticeably more clear and crisp than the NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm. I was stunned looking at these two side by side. Based on everything I’ve read, I expected the NF to be considerably clearer. I adjusted the NF for more than 15 minutes thinking I must have something adjusted wrong. I walked away convinced something was wrong with the shop's demo model. At this point, I think I'm going to save $600 and go with the Leupold. </div></div>

This is most definitley not the norm for NF. If there is a problem I'm certain it will be taken care of in a timely and professional manner. There are too many shooters out there using NF optics without incident (myself included) or that are at least satisfied with their product for this to be a common occurrence.

Keep your powder dry
Rayn

I have NF nxs in same setup and its for sure clearer and brighter then any leupolds I have owned or looked through.

"I have NF nxs in same setup and its for sure clearer and brighter then any leupolds I have owned or looked through."

+1
The NF packages are much nicer and clearer all around than any Leupold I've owned.

This is the first I've ever heard of anyone complaining about clarity or focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bravo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have NF nxs in same setup and its for sure clearer and brighter then any leupolds I have owned or looked through. </div></div>

+1 My last NF was fantastic, and I am going to pick up another soon. In fact, my 3.5-15x50 was on-par w/ my 4-16x50 S&B. Give NF a chance to check it out.

Also, good on the OP if you actually contacted NF before posting this here. Often times people jump on a message board to complain before giving the manufacturer or dealer a chance to address their issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bravo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have NF nxs in same setup and its for sure clearer and brighter then any leupolds I have owned or looked through. </div></div>

+1 My last NF was fantastic, and I am going to pick up another soon. In fact, my 3.5-15x50 was on-par w/ my 4-16x50 S&B. Give NF a chance to check it out.

Also, good on the OP if you actually contacted NF before posting this here. Often times people jump on a message board to complain before giving the manufacturer or dealer a chance to address their issue. </div></div>

When it is corrected I will definitely post it here.

These pics were taken this AM. Sun was at the 2 o'clock in the sky (looking north) and the pictures were taken looking due south.

15x

15x about 1550 yards.

15 year old VXII on 12x

So, with all these pics of what I'm talking about, is this on par with NF or should I send it back?

I think NF glass is great, but I have an 8.5-25x Mark 4 that has better glass, IMHO, than any NF I have owned. I think the guys who claim NF glass is leaps and bounds above the Leupy glass are either are full of it, or they have an exceptional NF or bad Leupy. I think the NXS is superior to the Mark 4 only because of reticle choices and matching knobs,not because of glass or quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think NF glass is great, but I have an 8.5-25x Mark 4 that has better glass, IMHO, than any NF I have owned. I think the guys who claim NF glass is leaps and bounds above the Leupy glass are either are full of it, or they have an exceptional NF or bad Leupy. I think the NXS is superior to the Mark 4 only because of reticle choices and matching knobs,not because of glass or quality. </div></div>

My NXS is definitely crisper/clearer/brighter than my Leuopold.

I've never seen that in all of my Nightforce scopes. I'm also one of those who think that Nightforce optics are superior to Leupold. Maybe there's been a bad batch of lenses and it's just now surfacing. However, I'm positive that Nightforce will rectify the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if you think I'm full of it, but that has been my experience. </div></div>

Like I said, maybe exceptional Mark 4s, but the ones that I have do not have lesser quality glass than the NXSs that I own/have owned.

Look at the comparison pics of the MK4 and VXIII between the NXS. The detail of the foliage and suroundings is far better then the NXS. If this is sub par for NXS I will send it back for replacement (preferably not "repair"). If this is par for NXS I will list it in the for sale section and shop for another MK4. The new 4.5-14x50 with metric knobs may do the trick.

I will say that every NXS I have had has good glass. If the photos represent the poor image quality in the NF, with everything"focused", it needs to be sent back. Glass quality should be similar to the Mark 4, but don't expect it to blow the Leupy out of the water in that department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say that every NXS I have had has good glass. If the photos represent the poor image quality in the NF, with everything"focused", it needs to be sent back. Glass quality should be similar to the Mark 4, but don't expect it to blow the Leupy out of the water in that department. </div></div>

If the glass in my NXS was on par with the glass in my former MK4 this post would not exist and I would have been shooting steel and 'yotes already.

Just send the damn thing in already. You're not happy, Ken offered to take care of the problem, and you're still here complaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just send the damn thing in already. You're not happy, Ken offered to take care of the problem, and you're still here complaining. </div></div>

LOL, I plan to. When the problem is fixed I will be posting about how HAPPY I am with my NXS!

Checked my NSX today and picture was crystal clear!Sorry to hear about your problems with your NSX dk-1.Iam sure Nightforce will correct this problem of yours!

This is 15x lased at 367 yards. I turned my eyepiece focus all the way in to the right. This has yielded the clearest results yet.

Hells Fire!Send that back to Nightforce,that is not the same picture I see thru my NSX.There is stiil a good bit of distortion present.

I got my scope back on Friday and mounted it up on my .308. After talking to Ken he said the diopter was way out of wack. The glass is GREAT now, the lack of focus and resolution are gone. I was shooting at a 570 yard 10" steel plate on Saturday and had no issues! I am another happy NF owner now! Thanks for the great communication Ken.

I just looked through my NXS 3.5-15X50, that I just got today by the way, and compared it to my IOR 4-14X50. I focused both scopes on max power at a billboard that's approximately 1 mile away. The NXS was quite a bit more clear to my eyes. The IOR's pretty damn good but the NXS was definately better. I tried to get some photos but I suck at through the scope pics for some reason.

I just received my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 56mm yesterday and it has the exact same problem! Only clear at 5.5 power the higher you go the less detail there is.

So much for that Nighforce quality, 3 people with the same problem!!! Now I'm 100% sure it will be fixed. But at $1700 there should be zero problems like this. My fathers Bushnell 4200 was perfect from the factory and it cost a fraction of the price.