• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Updated POF 308 problems

sqidd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
Michigan
Below is a post I had in a different thread about the issues with my new POF (20" .308). If you haven’t seen them they will bring you up to speed (also a link to the original thread).

POF had my rifle less than 24hrs and already had it on the way back to me. They spec’d out the chamber, cleaned the “salt” like substance that is leftover from heat treating process and replaced the entire BGC. They also put 100rds of 4-5 different kinds of ammo through it to test its function.

When I got it back I tore it down real quick to look at everything, added just a smidge of lube to the BCG and took it too the 100m range last Friday.

I took three different kind of round with me:

PMC 147g (labeled .308/7.62x51, but stamped .308)
Sellier & Bellot (S&B) 147g .308
American Tactical (AT) 150g 7.62x51

I started by running the S&B. I put 40rds downrange and the rifle ran like a Swiss watch. Then I switched over to the PMC and ran 20rds downrange and that also ran to perfection. And surprisingly the point of aim changed very, very little. Then two friends ran another 20rds of PMC through it with no issues. Then I loaded up a mag of the AT. The first round went downrange, ejected the case, but did not strip a fresh round out of the mag when it went into battery. I pulled the charging handle to strip another round and let it fly. This time the case didn’t eject. It was “welded” firmly in the camber. Since I had the same issue the last time at the range I was prepared with a rod and used it to pop the case out. The case was HAMMERED! The extractor pulled the rim right off of it. I did a quick inspection, found the rim in the action, put everything back together and sent another 20rds of PMC downrange with no issues.

I’m very new to shooting at anything further than 50m and this is the first time I have ever used optics with magnification so my accuracy has to be take with a grain of salt. As far as I could tell the rifle shot wherever it was pointed. And at one point when I got my body position just how I wanted it (I was experimenting with position a lot) I managed to put three rounds through one ragged hole. Not exactly a scientific test but I think it’s fair to say the rifle is far better than me. I didn’t experience any “fliers” like some other people have had problems with their POF’s doing. And I was using “junk” ammo.

On my way home I called Cody at POF to see what he thought about it sticking the AT rounds. He has never used them before and asked “Are those the ones from Turkey?” I had no idea but when I got home I looked them up and they are. He had a theory that with some of the “Third World” rounds they use less then spectacular brass. It’s supposed to expand and seal the chamber during ignition and then “shrink” back down so the ejector can pull it out. But if the brass is “crap” it will expand, and stay expanded therefore sticking the case and/or ripping the rim off. I’m sending him 20rds of the AT today for him to test out on their rifles to see if they have the same issues or if it’s just my rifle.

Yesterday I went to Cabela’s and picked up 5 different kinds of round. All flavors, 7.62 and .308. They didn’t have any NATO stuff on the shelf but Cody said to pick up a box of Winchester 147g “White Box” because they got their tooling from Lake City and if it shoots the “White Box” it should eat the NATO rounds.

So I’m off to the range again this afternoon (if I have time) to see if it will eat everything I feed it.

I was a little disappointed the first time I ran the rifle because it was a complete “cluster”. But my spirits have been raised because of the over the top customer service that POF has provided. Short of coming to my house to go through the rifle there is nothing more that they could have done to get me set up and back out to the range.

Film at 11

<span style="color: #3333FF"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I went out to the local 100m range on Monday to run some rounds through the 20” .308 POF I just picked up last week and had all sorts of issues. It started by having feed issues which I just chalked up to it being new, tight and not run in. I had two different kinds of mag and the both acted the same. The more I shot the worse it got and at about the 40th round it stuck a case in the chamber HARD! The extractor was doing its best to get it out. Even to the point where it ripped part of the lip off so I highly doubt it had anything to do with the extractor. The range officer (RO) had a brass rod that I used to push the case out. Then we started looking at the spent brass. About 30% of them had the primers blown out! And every one had clearly been tugged on real hard by the extractor. The RO said he has been loading his own stuff for years and recommended I didn’t run that round anymore because it was “over pressuring”. So I switched to a different round. And that one was giving me fits also. Now I’m thinking it’s the rifle not the round. Then I ran a lighter 3rd kind of round I had with me and it didn’t give me any issues (10 rounds) but the cases were beat up pretty good. At that point the range was closing so we packed up and left.

On the way home I called POF and their tech guy told me that they do some sort of salt based process on the barrels/chambers and if they don’t clean them out PERFECTLY they will get “buildup” which could cause what I was experiencing. And the buildup is hard enough (crystalline in nature) so that a chamber brush will not get it out. They were more than helpful and offered to have me ship the rifle out to them ASAP at their cost but I told him I would take a look at it in the shop before I did that.

I tore the rifle down this morning on the bench and after getting a light shined down in the chamber good I could see that it looked like there may be some “stuff” between the lugs and the actual chamber which could have possibly kept the bolt from going all the way into battery (were talking thousands here). I took a shot at it with a chamber brush, no joy. So I got out my trusty “twisted tip” SnapOn pick out and took a few tentative pokes at it. To my surprise I got some pretty big chunks of black “crystalline” crap that was running all around the OD out of it out. It wasn’t too hard to get it with the pick and it looks to have cleaned up real good with the chamber brush and some brakekleen after that. I cleaned up the BCG and the inside of the upper and lower receivers, put a real light coating of lube on and put it all back together. It cycles by hand just fine and doesn’t seem to have any issues at all. But I have not been able to put more rounds through it yet and I won’t be able to till Thursday at the earliest.

I figured that I would run this past the POF guys and see if any one else has ever experienced this? What you did to fix it? Should I be looking for anything else? Etc.

Any insight would be appreciated. I don’t want to go to the range just to work on the gun. Or worse have an aborted attempt. I would rather “detail” anything anyone can think of while it’s on the bench.

Thanks a lot</div></div></span>

Link To Old Thread

Re: Updated POF 308 problems

I was just at the range yesterday with my 308 POF and shot some 147 gr nato from southwest ammo. Unfortunately, one of the rounds is now stuck and the charging handle won't go back. I should have never tried to put the bcg back onto it. Upon looking at it, my locking lug is not lined up with the ramps, if you know what i mean, it's turned, but not all the way. So no way to tap out the round until i can get that to line up somehow.
So i wouldn't run nato in it unless the casings are perfectly sized or you don't have a tight throat area.

I gotta take mine to a gunsmith now with a live round in it.
Good luck

That sucks, the temperament of mine has been a bit trying.

I’m sure I will get slammed for this but here it goes. Keep in mind I do a lot of machine work and design and assessed I wasn’t going to hurt anything. MY BCG was “stuck” to my stuck case on Friday. I couldn’t get it to retract with the charging handle. I brought some tools to the range because of my previous issues. I pulled the upper, flipped it over and used a standard screwdriver with some tape on the tip to pry the BCG “back” in the upper. It didn’t take much pressure and it pulled right back, tearing the rim off the case (clearly the extractor is working!). The screwdriver didn’t leave a mark on the upper or BC. No harm as far as I can tell. And I put another 20 through it without issue. Your BCG may be stuck to the stuck case just like mine was. It may be worth considering the above or driving the case out with an aluminum/copper/brass rod while someone pulls the charging handle. Sure is a lot faster than going to the gunsmith.

Do you have a link to the ammo you used? I’d like to add it to my list of rounds not to use. Cody at POF told me to be careful of some of the NATO rounds because a lot of them out there that are packed “loose” and are old will have corrosion on the cases which tends to make them stick. He was saying they had just tried running some I think it was Serbian or South African or something NATO stuff and had all sorts of issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you think i can "pry" it backwards and the lug should turn with it? the lug looks like it's resting right up against the ramp/shoulder. </div></div>
Yeah, that’s how mine was…..LOCKED UP SOLID! I was pulling on the charging handle like it owed me money!
grin.gif
I pried between the front of the BC right under the bolt and against the receiver. I didn’t use much pressure at all (I wouldn’t have). It didn’t even leave a witness mark in the receiver and aluminum is not exactly “hard” when it comes to prying against it. The bolt rotated right out of there no problem.

If you want to post a pic I can tell you if yours is doing what mine did. It is possible you have something else going on.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link:
http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/308147fmj-range.htm
</div></div>
Am I reading correctly that these are reloads?

How did the cases look? Brand spankin new or was there any corrosion on them?

I would think that LC brass would be OK as a reload but you never can tell. It’s not too hard to screw reloading up.

I’m still not sold on the POF eating everything. Which if mine doesn’t end up doing I will sell it. I’m not into owing a temperamental “boutique” rifle. I’ll be running a few more rounds thorough maybe later today. Time will tell.

That being said mine at PMC like it was brownies! And it was CHEAP!

Check out this link:
PMC 500rd Case

500 at a time and slightly over $.50/rd is not too bad.

yeah - i've been looking at pmc for my .223 rock river Pred pursuit...

Normally i shoot Hornady a-max 168 gr match. And i love it. I think the 147 was pretty "dirty". So when you said pry it back, where did you put the screw driver exactly and what part did you brace the screw driver against to "pry" it? or did you tap it with a hammer backwards?

Some people bag on the PMC but all of my 45’s and my 5.56’s eat it no problem at all. I don’t think I have ever had a FTF with one of my AR’s and I put 1500+rds through one with no cleaning or lube once. I actually shoot my pistol matches with PMC (most guys hand load).

Its inexpensive and works, sold!

Some people bag on the PMC but all of my 45’s and my 5.56’s eat it no problem at all. I don’t think I have ever had a FTF with one of my AR’s and I put 1500+rds through one with no cleaning or lube once. I actually shoot my pistol matches with PMC (most guys hand load).

Its inexpensive and works, sold!

I don’t mind running good ammo through the POF, especially when I’m shooting at distance, but I still want it to be able to eat everything. I find that unacceptable in a firearm. Not feeding some “crap” rounds is to be expected, but I’m not into a picky gun. Hopefully that stuff you got is a bit corroded and it’s the rounds fault, not the rifle.

POF.jpg

Here is a pic of where I pried the BCG back (between the arrows). I used a LONG #1 standard screwdriver (the thin ones). I didn’t have to put much pressure on it at all. And as you can see there is not a mark on the receiver from the screwdriver at all. It didn’t even start to bend the screwdriver. If you have someone to “pop” a dowel against the case you could probably get it to back out without much pressure at all.

Good luck

so was ur lug also turned in there or was it lined up when u did it? i understand that as it goes in and out it turns anyways. but it looks like it resting against the ramps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so was ur lug also turned in there or was it lined up when u did it? i understand that as it goes in and out it turns anyways. but it looks like it resting against the ramps </div></div>
The picture I took is of it after I freed everything up (I just took it) so the bolt location is correct.

When I un-jammed mine I was sitting on my shooting mat with the sun beating down on me so I couldn’t see as well as if it was on the bench in the shop. It looked to me like when mine was jammed up that the bolt/extractor was trying to pull the case out and was not in the correct position (clocking). I’m pretty sure when I got the BCG free that what “gave way” was the rim of the case. So yeah, I’m pretty sure that the bolt was not in its correct position when it was jammed up. Did I answer that right?

I don't know what the issue could be with the different type of ammo but I agree that for the price we pay for these rifles, it should eat anything we feed it. I've fired PMC, Hornady, FGMM 175SMK, Southwest Ammo reloads, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Monarch from Academy Sports without an issue. That being said, I might be one of the lucky few.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link:

yeah - i tried to tap it with a dowel from the front 5/16" dowel.
So you think i can "pry" it backwards and the lug should turn with it? the lug looks like it's resting right up against the ramp/shoulder.</div></div> This is going to sound crazy, but I've done it before and it works. Take the rifle, grab hold of the charging handle, and bang it to the ground with the buttstock. The force going to the rear should force the bolt carrier back and eject that round. Obviously don't do it so hard that it breaks the buttstock, and I recommend taking it out on the grass or similar softer surface to do it.

Sqidd, That really sucks that you're still having problems. Hope it starts running better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is going to sound crazy, but I've done it before and it works. Take the rifle, grab hold of the charging handle, and bang it to the ground with the buttstock. The force going to the rear should force the bolt carrier back and eject that round. Obviously don't do it so hard that it breaks the buttstock, and I recommend taking it out on the grass or similar softer surface to do it.</div></div>
I like that idea! I didn't have to pry on mine hard at all. I'll bet doing this would have freed it right up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sqidd, That really sucks that you're still having problems. Hope it starts running better. </div></div>
Well, right now it only seems to not like the American Tactical. I could live with that. I'll know more when I run the pile of rounds I just picked up through it.

It is a bit of a bummer having to mess with it though. I should be working on what I'm getting for glass and get my new stock on the way.....not messing with ammo!

Well hopefully that might work. I do have a live round in it as when i was tapping with the dowel, i noticed the impression at the end of the dowel was a bullet tip. Should this really matter since the firing pin is all the way back? maybe i should use the pry method since my lower won't close without the hammer being cocked.

You're not going to get the pressure on it necessary by running a dowel down it. Make sure it's on safe and try my method. Just keep the pressure to the rear on the charging handle through the stroke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well hopefully that might work. I do have a live round in it as when i was tapping with the dowel, i noticed the impression at the end of the dowel was a bullet tip. Should this really matter since the firing pin is all the way back? maybe i should use the pry method since my lower won't close without the hammer being cocked. </div></div>
Probably won’t be an issue with a live round but I still wouldn’t mess with it. I would tap the round as a last resort. Then I would be very, very careful.

Are you sure it’s a live round though? Is there a strike mark on the primer? Cody was theorizing that the case expanding are what hung them up in the chamber. They have to “fire” for that to happen. If you have a stuck case and its still a live round that brass is probably pretty nasty.

Please keep me posted. I’m learning as I go along and would like to know as much about this rifle as I can.

May the force be with you.
wink.gif

i think before i slammed the bcg back on it i noticed there was a primer strike. i also pulled the trigger.. no boom
smile.gif

so i'm wondering if it struck light anyways or was a faulty primer?? either way - i would think using the screw driver and prying the bcg back would be safer than hitting the butt stock on the ground in my situation. My situation being, i'm around alot of townhomes and an elementary and junior high are right across the street from me. Plus i can't close the upper to the lower without the hammer being cocked - i do have the safety on though.

The gun should be able to run any normal factory ammo. Also its my opinion that the best customer service is the one that never needs to be utilized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun should be able to run any normal factory ammo. Also its my opinion that the best customer service is the one that never needs to be utilized. </div></div>

I agree 100%. But I'm past that point now, LOL.

In the long run if this doesn't get sorted I'll sell the POF and get something else. I've even started looking into other stuff like the LMT (which is what I was going to get) and I had a few owners caution me that they have had issues and had to send their rifles in miltiple times. Who makes a "run anything/anytime/all the time" AR10? And don't say LWRC, I'm not spending that kind of $$$.
wink.gif

I can say whole heartedly, PWS makes a stellar AR-10 piston platform. My MK214 runs, and runs well. Accurate, easy to shoot... it just doesn't have the name recognition of the other brands. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

I used the screwdriver method on the bcg and it popped back. but the round was still stuck. It wasn't a live round either, i broke one of my cheap cleaning rods trying to pound it out. So i ended up taking it to gander and they popped it out for free. Upon inspection of the case, he said that particular casing was a little bigger than the other 2 i fired from the same box. And it was pretty dirty - i mean the brass. So i ended up pitching the rest of the box (gave it to someone else).

I think what i was told by POF the year mine was made (2008-2009) was that there was a run of 308's with pretty tight tolerances. I've always been able to run 308 win perfectly - so that's what i'll stick to i guess. Maybe they can polish it out or tool it out a little so you can shoot the Nato rounds easier?? not sure if that's what your supposed to do or if maybe we should just leave it knowing that 308's work really well?!

Redmass clearing method is exactly what you should do to clear that jam in the field or match (I have and folks seem aghast)! If you are to squimish to do that take a delring dowl and hammer and tap the charging handle back.

No to the core problem these are the exact symptoms in my experience of brass that has been sized for a bolt gun vs semi-auto. To cure this with my reloads I use a Redding small base die. If these are once fired factory reloads that may be the probelm.

The LaRue OBR is pretty much bullet proof. That was the main reason I brought mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link:

yeah - i tried to tap it with a dowel from the front 5/16" dowel.
So you think i can "pry" it backwards and the lug should turn with it? the lug looks like it's resting right up against the ramp/shoulder.</div></div> This is going to sound crazy, but I've done it before and it works. Take the rifle, grab hold of the charging handle, and bang it to the ground with the buttstock. The force going to the rear should force the bolt carrier back and eject that round. Obviously don't do it so hard that it breaks the buttstock, and I recommend taking it out on the grass or similar softer surface to do it.

Sqidd, That really sucks that you're still having problems. Hope it starts running better.</div></div>

Tried and true method that works.
wink.gif

I also do believe, not sure if it's true anymore, but POF always had advertised their weapons to fire both types of ammo. I did read of people saying they had to hand cycle their nato rounds sometimes... or maybe that was on suppressed. I can't remember, it was a really long time ago on ar-15.com.

Anyways, if you don't want to get the chamber/throat etc... expanded a little, i'm sure there are people (like me) that wouldn't mind one that shoots just 308. As for the principle of the matter, i do think that your situation should be corrected with an explanation too.

I shot some nato ammo 2 years ago and it shot just fine... although my gun kept misfeeding everything - so i had to send it back to POF and and they polished the chamber area and updated the BCG (i had the one before they had their logo on it). Now everything feeds great - not one failure except for the incident on the range with the NATO stuff. And it actually fired 2 of those rounds in a row before getting one stuck. So i'd say that their advertising is pretty true.

Hogan guns has in the past made parts/guns for POF. POF has financial problems and is being sued for payment .They are now in court over some kinda beef .I would like to think they will work it out and survive,but in these trying times who knows . You might want to send it back to them to get it fixed right away .
http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/do...e+Factory+Inc++

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link:
</div></div>

I would think that LC brass would be OK as a reload but you never can tell. It&#146;s not too hard to screw reloading up.

I&#146;m still not sold on the POF eating everything. Which if mine doesn&#146;t end up doing I will sell it. I&#146;m not into owing a temperamental &#147;boutique&#148; rifle. I&#146;ll be running a few more rounds thorough maybe later today. Time will tell.

Check out this link:
PMC 500rd Case

</div></div>

If your looking for cheap ammo to shoot, try wolf ammo.
You will need to clean the chamber to remove any polymer
residue from the steel case ammo in the chamber. It's about
$169.99 for 500 rounds on sale. Here's the link: Wolf 500rd case
Best regards,

Frank L. DeSomma
Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.
www.POF-USA.com
[email protected]
623-561-9572 WK.
623-321-1680 Fax
poflogogaspiston1.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogan guns has in the past made parts/guns for POF. POF has financial problems and is being sued for payment .They are now in court over some kinda beef .I would like to think they will work it out and survive,but in these trying times who knows . You might want to send it back to them to get it fixed right away .
http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/do...e+Factory+Inc++ </div></div>
I’m no lawyer, but I have been in my fair share of court cases either representing who I was working for or one of my businesses. From a quick glance this looks like a borderline “nuisance suit”. Someone may owe someone some money. But it may go the other direction also. It doesn’t look like anything that will put anyone out of business.

The cases that put businesses out of business are ones about copyright or patent infringement, business partners splitting up, or owing HUGE amounts of money (and this doesn’t look like that to me) etc.

This one looks like:

“You owe us $X”.

“No we don’t, we owe you $Y”.

“No, you owe us $X”.

“Actually you forget that you owe us $Z for this other thing”.

Bla, bla, bla, bla.

I hope they get it resolved quickly (both sides). Going to court is a major distraction and gets in the way of “doing business” which in turn costs everyone money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POF-USA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link:
</div></div>

I would think that LC brass would be OK as a reload but you never can tell. It&#146;s not too hard to screw reloading up.

I&#146;m still not sold on the POF eating everything. Which if mine doesn&#146;t end up doing I will sell it. I&#146;m not into owing a temperamental &#147;boutique&#148; rifle. I&#146;ll be running a few more rounds thorough maybe later today. Time will tell.

Check out this link:
PMC 500rd Case

</div></div>

If your looking for cheap ammo to shoot, try wolf ammo.
$169.99 for 500 rounds on sale. Here's the link: Wolf 500rd case
Best regards,

Frank L. DeSomma
Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.
www.POF-USA.com
[email protected]
623-561-9572 WK.
623-321-1680 Fax
poflogogaspiston1.gif
</div></div>

Hey Frank, thanks for jumping in. Nice to see a manufacturer take an interest on the board.

(Gushing part):
First I would like to thank POF for their level of customer service. I couldn’t have possibly asked for anything more. And Cody has been fantastic to deal with. It seems he genuinely wants to make sure that things are 100% perfect and that I am happy. He always takes my calls and fills me in on everything that I am not familiar with. In addition to that I LOVE the rifle. I enjoy just looking at it. I do a lot of prototype work with some master machinists and I can certainly appreciate when something is trick, and the POF stuff is trick for sure.

That being said this whole ammo thing has me a little sideways. I’ve been reading about POF’s since the first came out and in the back of my mind always wanted one. It was a bit disappointing to finally get one and have issues and have to send it back right away. At this point (don’t know if you read the entire thread) there is no conclusion as to how it has been behaving so I’m just sitting on my hands and a little concerned. Until I get a chance to run the collection of rounds I picked up (next few days) and Cody gets to run that American Tactical (actually made in Turkey) that I sent him through your guns I won’t know where I stand. When all is said and done I can live with it not running one crap round (American Tactical). But I will be pretty bummed out if it won’t run damn near everything else. I was under the impression I purchased a rifle that would run like a Swiss watch no matter what I fed it and how dirty it got (within reason of course).

I don’t plan on running 20K crap rounds through it without cleaning it. In fact I’ll be doing just the opposite. I clean my guns every time I fire them if they need it or not. But I would like to know that they will keep running if I can’t clean them.

Every gun I have:

H&K USP 45 Tactical
H&K USP 40
HK45
HK45c
Glock 27
Walther P22
S&W M&P9 “Pro”
S&W M&P45
S&W M&P15 (x2)

….have all been through a torture test consisting of getting fed every ammo I could get my hands on. And in the case of the M&P15’s they got 1500+rds through them with no cleaning or lube and ate everything from 45gr-77gr,.223 or 5.56, factory and hand loads. Neither rifle experienced a single malfunction.

The above is the kind of performance I expect from the POF. Am I asking too much? I am not interested in a “Boutique Rifle”, I’m looking for an anvil.

I’m by far not the only person who has had similar issues with a 308 POF. As soon as I posted I was having issues lots of (15-20) other owners started posting up and/or PM’ing me about their issues. Some seem to have had their problems resolved, but a disturbing number of them (at least to me) just went with running what the gun likes as far as ammo goes. That’s not a solution in my book.

Thanks again for posting up. I know that its hard to post on a forum as a business. They can turn into some nasty places and things get said that shouldn’t. You posting re-affirms that POF takes their customers satisfaction seriously. Hopefully we can get this solved.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your looking for cheap ammo to shoot, try wolf ammo.
$169.99 for 500 rounds on sale. Here's the link: Wolf 500rd case</div></div>
Out of stock.
frown.gif

FYI ,If you put crap gas in your car it won't run right ,if you put crap ammo in you rifle it won't run right. It strikes me as odd that someone would buy an expensive state of the art rifle and use cheap ammo .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI ,If you put crap gas in your car it won't run right ,if you put crap ammo in you rifle it won't run right. It strikes me as odd that someone would buy an expensive state of the art rifle and use cheap ammo .</div></div>

That's how I feel about it, too. I wouldn't dare put Pennzoil in a NASCAR or Corvette, and I wouldn't feed Wolf into anything other than an AK or SKS, the same goes for Brown/Silver Bear, Monarch, TulAmmo, etc. The cheapest I'll go is PMC 147gr. at $13.99/box.

I just got back from the range where I fed another 200 rounds of Winchester white box 308. I started my POF with the fancy expensive stuff, and then started experimenting with all different ammo types. So far I haven't had a single FTF or DF and with the 200 rounds today I'm consistently getting ragged/clovered holes for 4 and 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I say stick to Win white box, the stuff is super cheap. I get it 500-1000 rounds at a time and with over 1,000 through my POF I've had no issues with the ammo or the rifle. I'm not in the midst of a torture test where I resist cleaning until failure. Frank any over/under bets on how long you think your rifle will take til I have to clean the chamber/barrel?
smile.gif

To squidd, where in MI are you from? I'm outside of Detroit and shoot at Bald Mountain State Rec range pretty regularly. It would be great to meet up and take a look at your rifle. Here's a link to the ammo I run, just search for the Winchester white box stuff.

Edit: Here is the right place for the Winchester White Box
http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester...inchester-q3130

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The LaRue OBR is pretty much bullet proof. That was the main reason I brought mine. </div></div>

My .223 larue wasn't bulletproof. The .223 POF that replaced it is more accurate and more reliable.

I have had some stuck case issues when shooting cheaper ammo with my POF308. I think once I polish the chamber, it will fix it. The chambers are on the tight side, that is probably where some of the accuracy comes from.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AutoXer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from the range where I fed another 200 rounds of Winchester white box 308. I started my POF with the fancy expensive stuff, and then started experimenting with all different ammo types. So far I haven't had a single FTF or DF and with the 200 rounds today I'm consistently getting ragged/clovered holes for 4 and 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I say stick to Win white box, the stuff is super cheap. I get it 500-1000 rounds at a time and with over 1,000 through my POF I've had no issues with the ammo or the rifle. I'm not in the midst of a torture test where I resist cleaning until failure. Frank any over/under bets on how long you think your rifle will take til I have to clean the chamber/barrel?
smile.gif

To squidd, where in MI are you from? I'm outside of Detroit and shoot at Bald Mountain State Rec range pretty regularly. It would be great to meet up and take a look at your rifle. Here's a link to the ammo I run, just search for the Winchester white box stuff.

</div></div>

Wow! Thanks for the link. That stuff is CHEAP! I've not been on SGAmmo's website in awhile but man, that stuff is worth the money. Thanks for the tip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow! Thanks for the link. That stuff is CHEAP! I've not been on SGAmmo's website in awhile but man, that stuff is worth the money. Thanks for the tip! </div></div>

No problem, the stuff is great and was manufactured in 2010-2011 so its not even the old junk just surplus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AutoXer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from the range where I fed another 200 rounds of Winchester white box 308. I started my POF with the fancy expensive stuff, and then started experimenting with all different ammo types. So far I haven't had a single FTF or DF and with the 200 rounds today I'm consistently getting ragged/clovered holes for 4 and 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I say stick to Win white box, the stuff is super cheap. I get it 500-1000 rounds at a time and with over 1,000 through my POF I've had no issues with the ammo or the rifle. I'm not in the midst of a torture test where I resist cleaning until failure. Frank any over/under bets on how long you think your rifle will take til I have to clean the chamber/barrel?
smile.gif

</div></div>
Well that’s good to hear. I picked a box of this up as a test round (haven’t fired it yet). Cody at POF told me that Winchester has Lake City tooling and the White Box is identical to their NATO rounds.

It would be great to get together. I’m over in the Ann Arbor area and I am shooting at the DNR range in Grass Lake right now. But I am a “pledge” at the Washtenaw County Sportsman Club, which is 3mi from my house though and they have a 600m range. I’m shooting on their rifle range for the first time next Wednesday, but I can’t bring guests yet.
frown.gif
I’m out your way about once a week in Keego Harbor though. I do some of my prototype machining in a shop there. How are you set for shooting during weekdays? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks for the link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI ,If you put crap gas in your car it won't run right ,if you put crap ammo in you rifle it won't run right. It strikes me as odd that someone would buy an expensive state of the art rifle and use cheap ammo .</div></div>

That's how I feel about it, too. I wouldn't dare put Pennzoil in a NASCAR or Corvette, and I wouldn't feed Wolf into anything other than an AK or SKS, the same goes for Brown/Silver Bear, Monarch, TulAmmo, etc. The cheapest I'll go is PMC 147gr. at $13.99/box. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI ,If you put crap gas in your car it won't run right ,if you put crap ammo in you rifle it won't run right. It strikes me as odd that someone would buy an expensive state of the art rifle and use cheap ammo . </div></div>

I with you guys on the “crap in, crap out” thing. I don’t plan on feeding my rifle crap ammo its entire life. I just want to know that it can like it’s supposed to be able to. If POF said that it won’t eat crap ammo that would be one thing. But I’m being told that it will eat just about anything and should. I just want to make sure it will run as advertised using just about everything I throw at it. And then I will stock up on a inexpensive ammo it likes for screwing around (at this point PMC is in the lead) and a really good round for when I’m going for distance (don’t know what that is yet).

Here is a pretty good deal on PMC $.526/rd:
PMC Bulk Ammo

Once I verify that my rifle likes the Remington I think I’m going to have to get in on that deal linked above. Not a bad price at all ($.575/rd).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well that’s good to hear. I picked a box of this up as a test round (haven’t fired it yet). Cody at POF told me that Winchester has Lake City tooling and the White Box is identical to their NATO rounds.

It would be great to get together. I’m over in the Ann Arbor area and I am shooting at the DNR range in Grass Lake right now. But I am a “pledge” at the Washtenaw County Sportsman Club, which is 3mi from my house though and they have a 600m range. I’m shooting on their rifle range for the first time next Wednesday, but I can’t bring guests yet.
frown.gif
I’m out your way about once a week in Keego Harbor though. I do some of my prototype machining in a shop there. How are you set for shooting during weekdays? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks for the link </div></div>

That's crazy, I thought the only ranges in MI longer than 200 yds were Alpena and Marquette. Great to hear there is one close by, although I would have bought a more appropriate scope had I known. I am unfortunately traveling for business most weekdays, but this week I got a break. PM me with what day(s) of the week work best for you.

I finally got out to the range today to run some ammo through the gun to see how it performed. It went well, not one single failure. I didn’t take any “junk” ammo with me but it sure did run a wide range of rounds without an issue. The rifle seems to be shooting pretty well too. The worst thing about it is certainly me.

Here is what I ended up running through it. I ran 10-12rds of each, switched mags, repeat. Ran all five kinds through pretty much non stop:

Winchester White Box 7.62x51, 147gr

Federal American Eagle 7.62x51, 168gr

PMC .308 (7.62x51), 147gr

Remington UMC .308, 150gr

Sellier & Bellot .308, 147gr

I had about 8-10rds of HSM .308 (7.62x51), 168gr left but the first time I ran it I had some trouble with it. That was before POF went through the rifle. This is not that American Tactical (from Turkey) stuff that was sticking cases on me though. I was going to run those last few rounds today to see how they worked but everything else ran through the rifle so good I didn’t want to ruin my day. This is the first time out of three I left the range not disappointed with the gun. I’ll run the HSM next time I go to see how it goes.

Cody at POF just got the American Tactical I sent him today (the stuff that WOULD NOT run), I’ll call him tomorrow and see if he got it to run through their guns.

As of right now I’m not thinking of selling the rifle……finally!

Film at 11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got out to the range today to run some ammo through the gun to see how it performed. It went well, not one single failure. I didn’t take any “junk” ammo with me but it sure did run a wide range of rounds without an issue. The rifle seems to be shooting pretty well too. The worst thing about it is certainly me.

Here is what I ended up running through it. I ran 10-12rds of each, switched mags, repeat. Ran all five kinds through pretty much non stop:

Winchester White Box 7.62x51, 147gr

Federal American Eagle 7.62x51, 168gr

PMC .308 (7.62x51), 147gr

Remington UMC .308, 150gr

Sellier & Bellot .308, 147gr

I had about 8-10rds of HSM .308 (7.62x51), 168gr left but the first time I ran it I had some trouble with it. That was before POF went through the rifle. This is not that American Tactical (from Turkey) stuff that was sticking cases on me though. I was going to run those last few rounds today to see how they worked but everything else ran through the rifle so good I didn’t want to ruin my day. This is the first time out of three I left the range not disappointed with the gun. I’ll run the HSM next time I go to see how it goes.

Cody at POF just got the American Tactical I sent him today (the stuff that WOULD NOT run), I’ll call him tomorrow and see if he got it to run through their guns.

As of right now I’m not thinking of selling the rifle……finally!

Film at 11
</div></div>

Very nice. I just sent mine in. It just got there today.
Glad to hear you got your shit workin right.

I have had 3 308's from pof and never had a problem with any. ran all kinds of surplus ammo through em. even the ati.

It’s possible that I got some American Tactical (AT) that was not a good batch. Everything that gets mass produced has a percentage that didn’t get done right. There should be a quality control department to catch that though.

I talked to Cody at POF yesterday, he just got the AT I sent him on his desk. He said their barrel “guy” will be back in the shop Tuesday and he is going to take a look at them with him.

The “tester” in me is curious about the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree 100% about q.c. on ammo. but hey, in turkey, there qc dept is probably high on opium. </div></div>

A friend of mine got some Indian 8mm. Some of them had no lead in the bullets! Some are double charged, and on top of that the ones that do work smell like curry powder!

As an aside I had some At .308 that I tried to run in my Smith Enterprise custom M1A and it had a very similar problem. Also everything I've heard about the AT .308 has been negative regardless of the type of weapon being used to shoot it.

I finally remembered to call Cody at POF. He had a chance to run that AT rounds…..and they didn’t work at all for him either. He kept sticking cases in multiple rifles. They ended up spec’ing the rounds out and found that they were undercharged and the brass was of poor quality. He’s speculating that the brass is expanding when the round goes off but not contracting again like its supposed to when the pressure drops. Compounding the issue is the soft charge which won’t operate the gas system with sufficient force.

That pretty much jives with what I was experiencing.

Just after I sent the rounds down he got another rifle in that was having issues with the AT rounds. That one was a real mess though. The guy had a suppressor on it that had a baffle strike. Yeeeeeyooooow, not pretty!

No more AT rounds for me.

Sqidd and KillShot, How do you guys like the 20in? Are you happy with it or do you wish you would have gone 16.5?

I just want to chime in for anyone reading this and on the fence about buying a P-308. I have a 16.5" one that was built in February of this year and it has been flawless for the 500 or so rounds I've put through it so far. All the while maintaining AWESOME accuracy. I've run handloads with Varget, Winchester white box, 20 year old PMC, 30 year old Indian surplus(OFV headstamp), Federal, and even Wolf and it hasn't failed once. The Indian shit didn't shoot well at all, 12" pattern at 200 yards, but reading reviews of it I just feel lucky it fed and fired and didn't damage my rifle. Never a hiccup at all, I LOVE this rifle.