• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade BH40 to Anvil 30?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have a BH40 already. What would I be losing and what would I be gaining by purchasing a an Anvil 30 to use instead?

The Anvil is simpler and lighter with one lever controlling the tension. The BH40 is bulkier, but has a controlled panning feature and also the ability to set a finer, more granular amount of tension in the head. Some may not find this a necessity but it all depends on how you use it. You can do it also with the Anvil, but with the lever sticking out when it's not fully locked/open, it's a bit too easy to knock it out of position. With the dial, like on the BH40, once set, it won't change unless you manually change it. I like the ability to change the tension separate from the open/lockout. I think for shooting the Anvil is fantastic. I use my ballhead for photography also and find the BH40 a bit more versatile, specially with the 90 degree locking points and the controllable panning.

Last edited:
Anvil is way nicer. Easier to adjust, more angle , and can support more weight. I switched and won't look back.