• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

upgrade or build new

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
Caliber : 22CM

Is going with a Custom action going to get me much over a Tikka action?

Option for me is when ARC does its sale on the Mausingfield (I know I just missed it and it will be a while before it happens again, I'm fine with waiting).

If we are comparing action to action, is the only thing that I am gaining is CRF for that extra money?

I am also a sucker for a Mauser style action.

I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew that it was a night and day difference between both actions.

Reactions: The D
There is so much value in a tikka that it’s hard to beat if you’re just building a fun/hunting rifle. Especially if you’ll only be shooting a single cartridge from it

If you want an action that will shoot (almost)anything you can think of, buy an action with replaceable bolt heads and rails. Mausingfield is my dream rifle choice but there are plenty out there. You’ll be getting the modularity of the replaceable bits and fit/finish/build quality upgrades too. You’ll just have to figure out a way to organize a ton of rifle parts instead of individual rifles

If you want us to justify your desire to buy a shiny custom action then consider that done too. Nobody will poo-poo that decision

Reactions: CarbonMTN
If you don’t already have a tikka to use, a custom action will give you more options for less money. Just my humble opinion

If you don’t already have a tikka to use, a custom action will give you more options for less money. Just my humble opinion
what actions are south of $8-900? tl3 etc all seem to be in the $1.2k range.

Origin at $875

Tenacity and Nucleus at $1k

I shoot a M5 Mausingfield and Origin. Actually went from Origin then TL3 then back to Origin when I got a RimX so the swept bolt handles match

I'm a sucker for CRF and ME too

But. If you have a tikka. Theres not much reason to upgrade. The triggers are great. And you can get most chassis for it now too

If buying new. I dont think I'd buy a full tikka rifle then swap literally everything but the action and trigger just to have a tikka. You won't save much money

That being said. Theres nothing wrong with a tikka other than slightly smaller barrel diameter

Under $900, I can think of:
Mack Bros SS Evo $575
Bighorn Origin $875
Gunwerks GRB $850
Alamo Precision APR G2 $825
Defiance Tenacity $885

For a little over the $900 mark:
Defiance anTi $985
Kelby Atlas $999
Arc Nucleus G2 $1,000
Stiller Predator $999

Lots of additional options open up beyond $1,000 of course.

pushing 22cm (95 and 79) pills beyond 1000 yards. I like a challenge.
Please tell me the 22cm is an error. 22 cm according to my little converter is over 8 inches. I am not sure any action listed is capable of handling an 8 inch shell. But they often fired DT’s at our hill in VietNam. COOL GUN! (Fortunately, we never needed them to fire in anger at our hill)
8324F905-AE8F-48C3-834F-79469D029333.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CarbonMTN
Macbros has some for $575. Why would anyone buy a donor rifle when you can buy a new custom action so inexpensive.
Don’t misunderstand tikka makes a fine rifle but there’s no reason to use a perfectly good rifle. Just my humble opinion

Macbros has some for $575. Why would anyone buy a donor rifle when you can buy a new custom action so inexpensive.
Don’t misunderstand tikka makes a fine rifle but there’s no reason to use a perfectly good rifle. Just my humble opinion
Prefits and availability are nice

Reactions: jcmullis2
Or you can have an Origin haha
I like my tenacity actions but I gotta admit the origin is better buy. I’m planning to get one when I rap up my current projects. I used to sacrifice rifles to make a better rifle but now I’d rather start fresh and end up with 2 rifles.

Reactions: b6graham
Because the MacBros is still more expensive before you even factor the additional cost of the trigger. $575 + $125 = $700. A donor rifle is still cheaper. And then on top of that the MacBros still doesn't accept prefits so each of your barrels is going to have to be gunsmith thread-to-fit. Which means they're going to cost about $700 - $850 a piece vs a McGowen prefit that runs about $500.

You are also assuming the MacBros is a better action because it is a custom. Do you own one? Do you own a T3? I'm familiar with Tikka, don't know about the MacBros. But they look pretty similar on paper. 3 lug, short throws with a slightly heavier bolt lift than a 2 lug. The only obvious discernable difference I can tell is one accepts prefits and comes with a trigger. In any other discussion that would make that one the "better" action, right?
I gotta admit if both actions were on a table for free it would be a tough choice.
What I’m saying is “I” wouldn’t BUY a tikka to take it apart to use just the action.
I wouldn’t take a good shooting rifle I already own and use it as a donor either because I’d rather have 2 good rifles than just one.
There’s several situations that I’ve used donor rifles and I’m sure I’ll do it again in the future. With availability being what it is we’ll all be cannibalising our rifles in the future if these shortages get worse. Until then I suggest that you and others buy what you can while you can and stock up.
Your right tikka makes good rifles. 👍