• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade Rem 700 5R 308

texbone

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Katy, Texas
I have a new in box Remington 308 stainless 5R barrel. What should I do to upgrade it.....I am not too big on the stainless look and prefer a more tactical look to my rifles....Who should I send it too for a different finish and what type of finish do you recommend? Other ideas to make it a better shooter? It is not the model with the new trigger...It is a two years old but unfired....

Re: Upgrade Rem 700 5R 308

Ill dura cote it for you man, just buy the duracote.no charge.satisfaction guaranteed!if you rnot satisfied ill keep the rifle.just kidding man.
There are guys here on the hide that have great duracote abilities one guy is SCARSSR.Ive seen pics of his work with camo jobs and tiger stripes also.
Winroscoe can KG guncote your rifle too,he has done one of mine and the finish is very resistant to scratches and nicks.
It all depends on how much you want to spend or what style of paint you like,one color in black or OD or camo?
The 5r is a fine rifle as it is,some guys complain about the stock not fitting correctly to their needs.I like the HS stock, its already bedded with aluminum and you get very good accuracy from the stable aluminum block.
If you have the old style rem trigger it can be adjusted to break very clean and crisp,either you do it yourself or send it to DANS40X here on the hide.He has done several of my rem 700 triggers.
If you have reloading gear ,id reload for it,you can squeeze out some good accuracy from the 5r.

Get some good glass and quality rings and bases too.It all depends on your budget and how much youd like to upgrade.
Personally id keep it factory,slap a good scope maybe add some tactical black to it and shoot it!
PM me for any questions ive had three 5rs in the past and all were great shooters.I can help out if your just looking to throw some duracote or install a scope,let me know in your city.

81SFO-

Thanks for the advise...I am just getting started with reloading and gathering equipement...I have been looking for the right scope as well...

Do you have a number I can give you a shout on? If so shoot me a PM mine is inbound...

The first thing I would do TexBone, is slow down. I went through the same thing as you. First thing, shoot it, a lot. Then you will know if it needs upgrades besides cosmetically. The purpose of a 5R, to me anyway, is a tack driver that doesn't cost 3-5 thousand. If you determine it does not shoot to your standards, then I would skim bed it. I would not true the action, change the barrel etc. by the time you get done with that, you could have a "custom" rifle. The reason I say wait until you know how it shoots is because you can have the accuracy and cosmetics done at the same place and time and save money. My 5R is a .5 to .75 MOA rifle with Fed Match grade. How much better can it get? Save your money, you might deel differently 6-12 months from now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bucster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do TexBone, is slow down. I went through the same thing as you. First thing, shoot it, a lot. Then you will know if it needs upgrades besides cosmetically. The purpose of a 5R, to me anyway, is a tack driver that doesn't cost 3-5 thousand. If you determine it does not shoot to your standards, then I would skim bed it. I would not true the action, change the barrel etc. by the time you get done with that, you could have a "custom" rifle. The reason I say wait until you know how it shoots is because you can have the accuracy and cosmetics done at the same place and time and save money. My 5R is a .5 to .75 MOA rifle with Fed Match grade. How much better can it get? Save your money, you might deel differently 6-12 months from now. </div></div>

Good advise...

you could trade me for my upgraded PSS. Its black and scary as hell.

Maybe a trigger job?

Seriously though...I wanna shorter barrel......