• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing upgrade to .300wm or .338wm?

bradpierson26

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
Greeley, CO
I currently have a browning X-bolt in .30-06 and I am well aware that '06 is plenty for elk. If i was looking for an excuse for a semi custom rifle for elk, moose, etc am i wasting money jumping to .300win mag? Would it be smarter to go to .338wm? I know I don't gain a lot from .300wm and it would be a sporter barrel so target shooting does not come into play.
thoughts?

Re: upgrade to .300wm or .338wm?

i always tend tword the axiom of bringing enough gun.....wally world got .300wm in a pinch..........i'm just sayin.

I really like my model 70 338 Win Mag. My favorite elk rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradpierson26</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i was looking for an excuse for a semi custom rifle for elk,</div></div> You dont need an excuse! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradpierson26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">am i wasting money jumping to .300win mag? </div></div> never, I wouldn't consider having several guns in similar or even same caliber, it makes things easier. sure an '06 is plenty for Elk, moose,bears,ect. but its always nice to have more options, and more guns.
grin.gif

what about a savage weather warrior 116 FCSS with the accustock in .300wm?
what is the concensus on the accustock, i didnt like it when i first saw it but I may be warming up to it.

The .338 is larger, sure, but it has a considerable amount more recoil than a .300 WM and is a good bit more expensive to shoot. I've got a Remmy XCR in .300 WM and love the thing. Recoil is very manageable when shooting 20+ times in a day and my XCR is extremely accurate for a stock hunting rig. Off a bench with bipod (no sand bags) it will shoot 1/2 moa all day @ 100yds. It will hold 1 moa with no worries out to around 450yds as well. I have an .06 as well, however you will notice the difference in performance at longer distances with a .300 and it has a lot more wallop at closer ranges when loaded with heavier hunting rounds. The .300 is plenty for any game animal on this continent, although a brown bear would be more worthy of a .338. My opinion, go for the .300 WM and you won't be dissapointed. If you feel that for some reason you have outgrown it, upgrade to the .338 mag.

Chad

Damn you guys must have some pretty big critters where you live, I use a 270 for elk.

Of course I'm a wimp and I dont like big guns, either the recoil or carrying them.

If your going to step up in caliber maike it worth it. It's a good excuse to get a 375H&H. Relatively plesant to shoot, has plenty of thump downrange, and causes suprisingly little meat damage.

I picked up a 300 WSM as my "step up" from 30-06 or 308, as a hunting round. You can look on Remington's or Winchester's ammo websites and compare the velocity, energy, etc for the rounds you have narrowed down. For me, the 300 WSM's atributes added to the availibilty for ammo and components (as suggested by Boltripper), helped make my decision.

from what i understand you really don't gain a whole lot from .300winmag to .300win short mag

If you are not going to bang steel at 600 yards all afternoon the 300wm 333wm or 300wsm will work for a longer reach hammer. Better yet get one of each, I bought my 300wm mod 70 boss to go out west but the 308,30 06 has never let me down on eastern whitetails. I started playing at 1000 with the 190 gr SMK's - 300wm and after an afternoon of long range practice I developed a little flinch. I never notice recoil when hunting but an afternoon shooting the big hammer I notice recoil ! The .338 wm packs a nice kick but it is on the next 5 got to have hit parade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going to step up in caliber maike it worth it. It's a good excuse to get a 375H&H. Relatively plesant to shoot, has plenty of thump downrange, and causes suprisingly little meat damage. </div></div>

+1
They are damned accurate and pleasant to shoot if set up right - a stock that fits and a kick-eez magnum recoil pad or comparable. Dont think you can find anyone that went this route and wish they didnt.