• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgraded T1X or stock Bergara B-14R

Whipped500

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2022
Usa
Looking to get my bolt rifle to mess around with friends bench shooting on private farms...I will not be doing any type of sanctioned competition. Probably about 50 and 100 yards most of the time.

I've been researching a lot and the 457 and T1X are the ones I gravitate to with the T1X being the one I keep going back to. I was hoping a $500 price point but the "buy once, cry once" saying keeps going off in my head...I had started my research thinking about a RPR.

So on to my question...in the long run, would I be better getting a B-14R or a T1X with a KRG bravo? I may very well be happy with the T1X stock since I'm a newbie but started thinking of the future.
Thanks

You are on the right path with your thought process, but your question has some gaping holes, specifically optics and budget. Look around here for a bit and you will see that all three that you mentioned have good track records and are upgradable to an extent. People that gravitate to the B14r usually have other 700 pattern rifles and accessories or are using it as the stop gap before Vudoo or RimX. CZ vs. Tikka is super subjective, but makes for great campfire talk. The bigger deal is getting the rifle to fit comfortably and the biggest deal is budget in for the best glass you can afford. The optics decision process is usually more difficult than the rifle. You can slap good glass on any of the rifles you mentioned and have a smile on your face.

I have been researching here and other places for a little bit now, just decided to sign up though and start asking some questions. I like to research a lot before posting so as to hopefully not ask stupid questions.

With that said, I was a little vague in my first post because I wanted to hear what people thought and not just go along with what way I was leaning.

I would still love to hear thoughts/opinions on this but I was leaning towards the T1X because of budget. I want the best I can get for the least amount of money because I don't know how much this will get used. I'm not sure if my friends will be interested and want to get their own or not. I feel that from what I'm reading, the T1X right out of the box is a very fine gun for not a lot of money. It has a nice trigger to begin with and can be even better with just springs. I can also put it In a chassis later on if I choose. The biggest reason with budget in mind that I lean towards the Tikka is it sounds like it isn't ammo sensitive. I have probably about 8k of some federal bulk that I am pretty sure is just auto match in a bigger box from my conversation with federal. Also, if I go through that and need to buy more, I probably would be looking at cheaper stuff anyways like CCI SV or tac 22 because I'm probably going to be going up against 10/22's with auto match in it. I know this isn't the right route but what I'm getting at is the T1X seems to shoot cheaper non match stuff decent still compared to the others.

Glass would be budget too with something like bushnell match pro but haven't even started looking into that yet.

Again, I would love hear what everyone thinks...am I thinking the right way? Should I be leaning towards a CZ instead? Should I forget about splitting hairs between CZ and Tikka because I should be looking at the Bergara? I am a sponge right now looking to soak up information!

Thanks

It all depends on how small a group you want to hold. My Tikka will shoot under MOA with most match ammo. I shoot R50 at 100y (mini palma/f class) matches every month. I use RWS rifle match for PRS/NRL 22, not quite as small a group. CCI sv shoots well also.

Mike

I have been very happy with my TX-1. There have been a number of complaints over the years about Beretta USA warranty service, but I have never had to use it for my Tikka rifles. There have been a few scattered issues with broken firing pins but mine has been fine and I shoot weekly. A company in Australia is now making titanium firing pins.

Beretta USA online service is excellent for shipping magazines quickly. Some people think the original factory magazines are ugly because they have extension for gripping magazines with winter gloves. Vendors at rim fire central offer aftermarket magazines now. Single shot converter magazines, too.

I have never seen the Begara in person. The Tikka is never going to have the fit and finish of the highest end target rifles. It is not an Anshutz. It is a highly functional multi-purpose .22 for use anywhere from the North Woods to Panama.

Having both a modified T1x and CZ457, if you don't already have a Tikka T3 then it's a coin toss as far as which one you get your hands on first. Full accessories are available for both rifles, both have similar everything else. Personal opinion but the bolt operation is a tad smoother on the T1x, which doesn't mean anything when your shooting on the clock. If you have any notion of converting it to .22WMR or .17HMR somewhere down the road, THEN WOULD DEFINITELY lean towards the CZ.

Having both a modified T1x and CZ457, if you don't already have a Tikka T3 then it's a coin toss as far as which one you get your hands on first. Full accessories are available for both rifles, both have similar everything else. Personal opinion but the bolt operation is a tad smoother on the T1x, which doesn't mean anything when your shooting on the clock. If you have any notion of converting it to .22WMR or .17HMR somewhere down the road, THEN WOULD DEFINITELY lean towards the CZ.
I have no other bolt rifles, just AR's. Also, I don't plan on getting any other bolt rifles besides 22lr so it won't be a trainer for a bigger caliber.

I am really torn between T1X, B-14R and 457. I know I'm splitting hairs but just can't decide. One of the 3 is what I want. I don't want to start with a lower quality and buy better down the road and I also don't see myself wanting anything better than these 3. All 3 will shoot better than I can.

I have no other bolt rifles, just AR's. Also, I don't plan on getting any other bolt rifles besides 22lr so it won't be a trainer for a bigger caliber.

I am really torn between T1X, B-14R and 457. I know I'm splitting hairs but just can't decide. One of the 3 is what I want. I don't want to start with a lower quality and buy better down the road and I also don't see myself wanting anything better than these 3. All 3 will shoot better than I can.
Any of the 3 gun will be a great gun for you. I have a Tikka T1X. it shoots great with most ammo, better with match ammo. You do get a good trigger with just a spring change. I like the factory stock, but I put it in KRG Bravo to get the weight up close to my B14R. If you are going the put the T1X in a Bravo, you are at the cost for the B14R.

I now have 2 B14R in factory stock ( love the B14R stock ). B14R are my go to guns now. The biggest thing for the B14R is the trigger. I have Trigger Tech Diamond in both set at 8oz.

As far as scopes. I have Vortex Strike Eagle 5 X 25. If you get into longer range shooting, you will need a scope with a lot adjustment.

I've got a T1x in an Oryx chassis and I've got a newer B14r steel barrel in its HMR stock. I enjoy both of them and they both shoot just about the same out to 50 yards with maybe, just maybe T1x shooting a little better at 100 but I'm not quite 100% on that yet. The trigger on each of them is fine. I put a YoDave spring in the T1x and removed the adjustment screw in the B14r to get it as light as it'll go. The T1x is lighter but with a less defined break. The B14r has a very distinct break but is heavier. Altho it doesn't really need it, I've got a Trigger Tech Diamond on the way for the B14r just because I found one at a good price and because I apparently hate money. That said, of the two, so far I slightly prefer the B14r. I dunno, maybe it's because it's heavier and it feels more like center-fire rifle. The HMR stock is actually pretty nice. I think the B14r steel barrel in the HMR stock is a pretty great, ready to go package. The T1x definitely needs a new stock or chassis. FWIW, I recently shot a .11 MOA, 5 shot group at 50 yards with the B14r. I've never done that with the T1x. Fortunately, both my guns like Norma TAC a bunch and shoot it as well as anything else out to 50 yards. I can't normally find good ammo in my neck of the woods and can't mail order it so I'm stuck with Norma as my go to. When I have been able to shoot good ammo thru the guns, the T1x really does like the more spendy stuff and shot SK lights out out to 100 yards. The B14r hasn't seen much good stuff but it seems to prefer Lapua over Eley (it hasn't seen SK).

All-in-all, if you want to just buy a gun that's good to go out of the box and that leaves little to be desired I'd go with the B14r, judging from my copy.

Reactions: Mina_
Any of the 3 gun will be a great gun for you. I have a Tikka T1X. it shoots great with most ammo, better with match ammo. You do get a good trigger with just a spring change. I like the factory stock, but I put it in KRG Bravo to get the weight up close to my B14R. If you are going the put the T1X in a Bravo, you are at the cost for the B14R.

I now have 2 B14R in factory stock ( love the B14R stock ). B14R are my go to guns now. The biggest thing for the B14R is the trigger. I have Trigger Tech Diamond in both set at 8oz.

As far as scopes. I have Vortex Strike Eagle 5 X 25. If you get into longer range shooting, you will need a scope with a lot adjustment.

I've got a T1x in an Oryx chassis and I've got a newer B14r steel barrel in its HMR stock. I enjoy both of them and they both shoot just about the same out to 50 yards with maybe, just maybe T1x shooting a little better at 100 but I'm not quite 100% on that yet. The trigger on each of them is fine. I put a YoDave spring in the T1x and removed the adjustment screw in the B14r to get it as light as it'll go. The T1x is lighter but with a less defined break. The B14r has a very distinct break but is heavier. Altho it doesn't really need it, I've got a Trigger Tech Diamond on the way for the B14r just because I found one at a good price and because I apparently hate money. That said, of the two, so far I slightly prefer the B14r. I dunno, maybe it's because it's heavier and it feels more like center-fire rifle. The HMR stock is actually pretty nice. I think the B14r steel barrel in the HMR stock is a pretty great, ready to go package. The T1x definitely needs a new stock or chassis. FWIW, I recently shot a .11 MOA, 5 shot group at 50 yards with the B14r. I've never done that with the T1x. Fortunately, both my guns like Norma TAC a bunch and shoot it as well as anything else out to 50 yards. I can't normally find good ammo in my neck of the woods and can't mail order it so I'm stuck with Norma as my go to. When I have been able to shoot good ammo thru the guns, the T1x really does like the more spendy stuff and shot SK lights out out to 100 yards. The B14r hasn't seen much good stuff but it seems to prefer Lapua over Eley (it hasn't seen SK).

All-in-all, if you want to just buy a gun that's good to go out of the box and that leaves little to be desired I'd go with the B14r, judging from my copy.
How do the stock triggers compare to each other? I feel the trigger is what is keeping from pushing me to the B14r. I am by no means a trigger snob and quite the novice of these rifles but feel in comparing a T1x in a Bravo compared to a B14r (to somewhat be apples to apples)...if you need an aftermarket trigger on the B14r to match the stock trigger of the T1x with springs, it is cheaper to go the T1x route. Again, know nothing about either one and haven't heard anyone say one is definitely better than the other...just going by my research.

Having the Bergara and the Tikka and you had to choose one, which would you keep?

Reactions: Seakphotog
I'm a handgun trigger snob but less so with with the .22 rifles for whatever reason. That said, I don't think the B14r *really* needs an aftermarket trigger to shoot well out to 100 yards. It may be a bit heavier than the T1x but it's a super crisp break which I really like. Both my step son (a beginner with rifles but he's just naturally good) and I shoot the T1x and B14r equally as well but we both prefer shooting B14r. The only reasons I ordered a Trigger Tech were 1) because I wanted to see if I could squeeze out tighter groups (probably not, in all honesty, at 50-100 yards), 2) I found one on sale for a good price and 3) I'm Trigger Tech curious, never having used one before. I would be completely content with the stock B14r trigger at its lightest setting if other options didn't exist. If I had to keep one of the guns, it'd be the B14r. I'm sorta surprised about that. I really like the T1x and bought the B14r so my son and I could each have a .22 to use for friendly competitions at our local range or just for fun precision plinking. I was just hoping I'd like it as much as the T1x and that it wasn't gonna suffer from any of the B14r issues one reads about and sees on YouTube, etc. So far, I've had no feeding issues with any ammo except if I press the mag against a barrier while chambering a round, I've had no ejection issues at all and the bolt throw is smooth and positive and doesn't require a lot of force. I probably have about 1000 rounds thru it. That said, I've had zero issue with the T1x as well and that has a few thousand rounds through it. One upside to a T1x is that you can keep the original stock and use it for base class NRL22 stuff if that might be an option for ya going forward.

How do the stock triggers compare to each other? I feel the trigger is what is keeping from pushing me to the B14r. I am by no means a trigger snob and quite the novice of these rifles but feel in comparing a T1x in a Bravo compared to a B14r (to somewhat be apples to apples)...if you need an aftermarket trigger on the B14r to match the stock trigger of the T1x with springs, it is cheaper to go the T1x route. Again, know nothing about either one and haven't heard anyone say one is definitely better than the other...just going by my research.

Having the Bergara and the Tikka and you had to choose one, which would you keep?
Stock trigger to stock trigger, with the spring change the T1X has a lighter pull. But, for me it needs to be lighter. both have good trigger as is. I am used to having a lighter trigger. A aftermarket trigger like a Trigger Tech Diamond, surpasses anything you can get for a T1X. The Diamond can go down to 4oz.

The factory T1X stock is light. The Bravo with heavy arca rail will bring the weight close to the B14R.
Having both guns, I would keep the B14R. But I'm keeping both.

Reactions: Seakphotog
An addendum to my last reply: my step son and I were out shooting both the B14r and T1x this morning at steel targets from 50-100 yards. The smallest, most challenging target was a 1 inch steel plate on a hanger at 100 yards. My step son was able to hit it more consistently with the B14r (altho that may be the ammo - he was using Norma TAC and I was trying CCI SV to see how it'd do). Regardless, as we were leaving I asked him which gun he'd keep. He said the B14r. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMHO, Tikka is a great rifle if you "just need a 22LR" off the shelf. It will do anything you need. It will shoot well at competitions if you feed it good ammo. And, If you had a farm or something it would be just as great a gun. Its very multi-purpose feeling, well balanced, and stable. Its not the sexiest gun in the world, but its very unflappable. Bergara are great rifles, alot of guys really like them. I personally prefer the KRG bravo to the Bergara OEM stock tho, so don't feel OEM tikka stock is really holding anyone back on that front/going forward.

Just adding in....

I have a T1x in the Bravo Chassis you are thinking about. The chassis is a definite upgrade over the factory stock. Not only does it feel more stable, but, most importantly, it's adjusted to fit ME! I never tried to " improve the trigger", I found that the trigger is adjustable to a good setting for me. Could maybe a spring job make me shoot better? doubtful.

Once you have a rifle that fits you, I would be more concerned on your fundamentals to get the most out of your .22. If those are not solid, You aint winning any of your friends cash. ( see sticky in the Advanced Marksmanship section)

My T1x cost me $350 at Bass Pro( and a few gift cards).
Bravo Chassis I got for a member here on the Hide for $300.
Athlon Talos BTR 4x14 ( and rings), $325.
30MOA base, $50
Throw Lever $20
Bipod $50.
Total $1095.

Is this set up going to give me the magic "1/4 inch all day long" , of course not. But what it will give me constantly .6 to .4 , 5 shot groups at 50 from prone, rear bag, with proper ammo, and fundamentals. ( Eley Force is my Tree Rat ammo, and thats still around 1/2 inch, more consistent ammo will reduce flyers and tighten thing up a little bit, but not much ).

The Federal Auto ammo,( or any other bulk ammo), will definitely NOT show the true capabilities of the rifle no matter witch one you choose.

I have no desire to " upgrade" my equipment. ( I just keep working on those fundamentals).

I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

And by all means...

Buy more ammo!!!

Last edited:
Just adding in....

I have a T1x in the Bravo Chassis you are thinking about. The chassis is a definite upgrade over the factory stock. Not only does it feel more stable, but, most importantly, it's adjusted to fit ME! I never tried to " improve the trigger", I found that the trigger is adjustable to a good setting for me. Could maybe a spring job make me shoot better? doubtful.

Once you have a rifle that fits you, I would be more concerned on your fundamentals to get the most out of your .22. If those are not solid, You aint winning any of your friends cash. ( see sticky in the Advanced Marksmanship section)

My T1x cost me $350 at Bass Pro( and a few gift cards).
Bravo Chassis I got for a member here on the Hide for $300.
Athlon Talos BTR 4x14 ( and rings), $325.
30MOA base, $50
Throw Lever $20
Bipod $50.
Total $1095.

Is this set up going to give me the magic "1/4 inch all day long" , of course not. But what it will give me constantly .6 to .4 , 5 shot groups at 50 from prone, rear bag, with proper ammo, and fundamentals. ( Eley Force is my Tree Rat ammo, and thats still around 1/2 inch, more consistent ammo will reduce flyers and tighten thing up a little bit, but not much ).

The Federal Auto ammo,( or any other bulk ammo), will definitely NOT show the true capabilities of the rifle no matter witch one you choose.

I have no desire to " upgrade" my equipment. ( I just keep working on those fundamentals).

I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

And by all means...

Buy more ammo!!!
I completely agree on the ammo comment! This is something I'm learning the more I research about quality ammo if you want better groups. I have all that bulk ammo and realistically I would be using that up for plinking at objects...as in something that would move or make a noise. If I was going to try to group something I would try my CCI SV or try to find something better.

I have to say I had a horrendous experience with a B14r. Maybe mine was a lemon, but I will never buy another one. I sold it for a loss after two months.

Two of my friends have them and they shoot lights out though.

I have to say I had a horrendous experience with a B14r. Maybe mine was a lemon, but I will never buy another one. I sold it for a loss after two months.

Did you try sending it back to be repaired?

That's really too bad. We love ours so far. Getting a lemon, especially a firearm lemon, definitely sucks. I had an SR1911 that was a lemon. It took 3 trips back to Ruger to get it working properly (Ruger was great about it) but by that time I had lost all faith in the gun and couldn't enjoy it. I ended up selling it even tho it seemed to be working fine. I just didn't trust it. And I'd never buy another.

Did you try sending it back to be repaired?
Yes, three times.

The first time it wouldn’t shoot better than 1” at 50 yards. They “fixed” it but it came back with a huge gouge taken out of the rear tang. I sent it back, they repaired the tang, bead blasted the bluing off the entire rifle, and cerakoted it black. When I received it back after that, the extractor was broken. They sent me a new extractor to replace it. The problem was they cerakoted over the retaining pins to hold the extractor in. I had to send it back again, they put a new extractor in. Received it back and the gun still shot like garbage. They said that was the best they could do.

So I sold it off for a loss (I made sure the buying party was aware of it. He wanted to rebarrel it).

Never again for me.

If you not going to compete and don't want a trainer to match a larger cal and most importantly you can leave it alone and not feel the need to upgrade it from front to back, just get a CZ. If you know you are the type that has to add this stock or that trigger like most of us on this page get the B14R.

I'm still on the fence of what to do...smart money tells me to just go the Tikka route (or possibly CZ) and if I end up using it more than I think with my friends, make some upgrades...specifically/mainly a chassis.

With that said...how "BAD" of a price is $1140 for the Bergara steel?

I'm still on the fence of what to do...smart money tells me to just go the Tikka route (or possibly CZ) and if I end up using it more than I think with my friends, make some upgrades...specifically/mainly a chassis.

I looked at all 3 Tikka CZ and Bergara - at the time Tikkas were nowhere to be found locally and out of stock most places online.
Bergara - was more than budget and I lucked out on a Black Friday deal last year for CZ457 AT-ONE, thats what I have and down the rabbit hole I went. Swapped the stock for a Oryx chassis w/ARCA rail - trigger replaced with a Timmy Flat.. Trying to stop the urge to spend more $$$$

anyway you can't go wrong with CZ, Bergara or a Tikka best of luck.

The T1x will probably do everything you need it to for the money. It is what I chose based on similar criteria. CCI SV shoots well in it so ammo won't break the bank.

I paid $1055 for my last B14R steel about 2 months ago.

I paid $1030 at Sportsman's Warehouse in May.

I bought a Tikka about a month ago. Pretty happy with it especially for the price. I was thinking, like you, that if I didn't like the stock I could switch it out and still be around the B14R price. If you think that you want to play the upgrade game - especially new barrels and triggers I would go either CZ or B14R. I am ok with the Tikka stock except for the butt pad. The original is horribly slippery. I ended up buying the thicker butt pad from Beretta.

I am a bit trigger sensitive and usually don't buy anything with a trigger that can't be easily modified or replaced. The Tikka trigger, out of the box, adjusted down to two pounds and was acceptable. I ended up getting the trigger spring from Mountain Tactical and I adjusted it down to 1.5 pounds. It is not a limiting factor in accuracy.

CCI - SV averaged 1.49 inches at 100 yards for 8, 5 shot groups out of my Tikka. Best CCI - SV group was 1.22. With CCI-SV I can hit a 4 inch steel place at 150 yards routinely. My rifle didn't like Norma Tac. It averaged over 2 inches for 5, 5 shot groups. I only shot 3, 5 shot groups of Automatch and it averaged 1.61 inches with a best of 1.36. In order to get better accuracy I ended up lot testing 6 lots of Eley Tenex. I found a lot that averaged .75 at 100 yards with the smallest group being .46 but that stuff is expensive. If all you care about is minute of soda can at 100 yards the Tikka will likely do that with the automatch you have but I suspect that the CZ would as well. Enjoy the search.

Last edited:
I bought a Tikka about a month ago. Pretty happy with it especially for the price. I was thinking, like you, that if I didn't like the stock I could switch it out and still be around the B14R price. If you think that you want to play the upgrade game - especially new barrels and triggers I would go either CZ or B14R. I am ok with the Tikka stock except for the butt pad. The original is horribly slippery. I ended up buying the thicker butt pad from Beretta.

I am a bit trigger sensitive and usually don't buy anything with a trigger that can't be easily modified or replaced. The Tikka trigger, out of the box, adjusted down to two pounds and was acceptable. I ended up getting the trigger spring from Mountain Tactical and I adjusted it down to 1.5 pounds. It is not a limiting factor in accuracy.

CCI - SV averaged 1.49 inches at 100 yards for 8, 5 shot groups out of my Tikka. Best CCI - SV group was 1.22. With CCI-SV I can hit a 4 inch steel place at 150 yards routinely. My rifle didn't like Norma Tac. It averaged over 2 inches for 5, 5 shot groups. I only shot 3, 5 shot groups of Automatch and it averaged 1.61 inches with a best of 1.36. In order to get better accuracy I ended up lot testing 6 lots of Eley Tenex. I found a lot that averaged .75 at 100 yards with the smallest group being .46 but that stuff is expensive. If all you care about is minute of soda can at 100 yards the Tikka will likely do that with the automatch you have but I suspect that the CZ would as well. Enjoy the search.
I'm pissing in the wind and splitting hairs trying to figure this out. I know the ammo I have is not going to do any justice for anything. I have all of it for my pistols and 15-22...had to get what I could find before. I had planned on trying to use it up but would use it for plinking at objects probably no longer than 50 yards, not grouping on paper.

I'm pissing in the wind and splitting hairs trying to figure this out. I know the ammo I have is not going to do any justice for anything. I have all of it for my pistols and 15-22...had to get what I could find before. I had planned on trying to use it up but would use it for plinking at objects probably no longer than 50 yards, not grouping on paper.
FWIW, both my T1x and B14r steel barrel love Norma TAC, at least out to 50 yards. They shoot it nearly as well as the spendy stuff (Lapua, SK, Eley) at that range. The best 5 shot group I've shot with either rifle at 50 yards was actually with the Norma and the B14r - .11 MOA. Basically one slightly large .22 caliber hole in the paper. I'd never have believed it if I didn't do it/see it myself. Norma TAC seems easy to find and isn't nearly the cost of the "good stuff".

I looked at all 3 Tikka CZ and Bergara - at the time Tikkas were nowhere to be found locally and out of stock most places online.
Bergara - was more than budget and I lucked out on a Black Friday deal last year for CZ457 AT-ONE, thats what I have and down the rabbit hole I went. Swapped the stock for a Oryx chassis w/ARCA rail - trigger replaced with a Timmy Flat.. Trying to stop the urge to spend more $$$$

anyway you can't go wrong with CZ, Bergara or a Tikka best of luck.
I have a 24" CZ in the At One too. Came from a BMR. Neither are exactly what I'm looking for for PRS style matches, but the rifles aren't what's holding me back during matches.

Not in matches, I can hit pretty much anything I'm aiming at to 200 yards. During matches? Different story. It gets frustrating

Swapped sideways to be able to put the rifle in a chassis/stock at some point. The BMR doesn't have the support that the CZ does

Competing in PRS style matches? B14R or a CZ in a chassis or stock
Want something to plink about? Either/or and add the BMR to the mix

M

rimfire rifles are persnickity with ammo. My BMR shoots both TAC22 and CCI std velocity well. The new CZ doesn't like the CCI nearly as much as it likes TAC22. I haven't gone thru the same 12 types of ammo to figure out what the CZ likes like I did with the BMR cause I"m not willing to pay for Center X or SK in the red printed box at my level of skill.

M

It is hard to beat a CZ 457 Varmint for what you get. I set one up last week for a friend. All it takes is a simple spring change to get a crisp 9 oz trigger. His rifle is not very ammo sensitive. It shoots most flavors of SK well. It also likes CCI SV. It shoots sub moa at 100 yds easily. $585 from Buds. I do prefer the more robust action of my Bergara B14R.

I figure I'm going to end up getting a chassis because how tall I am. I've mostly been looking at the Tikka because of its performance vs cost and the Bergara because of cost as well. Bergara it sounds like I can leave alone. The Tikka I would most likely put in a chassis which would bring it up to basically the same price as the Bergara. I still look at the CZ but it's in between the Tikka and Bergara but if I put it in a chassis, it would be the most expensive in the end.

I was asking about price on the Bergara because i have a $500 code for Reeds in Minnesota that is burning a hole in my pocket!

I was wondering if it was a bad price because I didn't want to waste the code if I could get it someplace else much cheaper without using the code...essentially saving the code for something else.

buy bergera
get a BnA
buy new chassis/stock
buy rimx/vudoo barreled action
sell bergera barreled action

or get a t1x/cz457 and be happy

it really depends what you wanna do

small groups at 50/100? rimx/vudoo
PRS (match centerfire rifle) rimx/vudoo
fun 22lr rifle that can do a bunch of stuff decently? t1x/cz457 (i'd prefer the cz)

Thank you to all the contributors on this thread. As well as the originator. I’ve learned a lot and held and shot these rifles. For me I’m going with the b14 r.
Thanks again

buy bergera
get a BnA
buy new chassis/stock
buy rimx/vudoo barreled action
sell bergera barreled action
This 👆

That was my intent with:
Bergara barreled action
Grayboe Ridgeback (on sale)
TT Diamond Trigger (on sale)
Kahles K525i (used, from the PX here)

but after two years with the Bergara, the new plan will be building a RimX, keeping the Bergara, and apparently I also needed an Anschutz that practically jumped in my hands at Kittery Trading Post yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: b6graham
I was asking about price on the Bergara because i have a $500 code for Reeds in Minnesota that is burning a hole in my pocket!

I was wondering if it was a bad price because I didn't want to waste the code if I could get it someplace else much cheaper without using the code...essentially saving the code for something else.

Even if it's $50 too high, you're still using the $500 and not letting it sit, plus is sounds like it's local and convenient.

The experiences stated above generally reflect my observations. If you want one and do not want to mess with it while holding back to a budget (that's laughable to me, a $500+ 22lr is not even close to budget...) the CZ At-One would be my choice.

Some thoughts that might help you chose:
The CZ and Tikka T1X provide barrel length choices. The Bergara has only one option.

From experience with multiple examples the T1X and CZ are practically the same with regards to accuracy. Interestingly, the T1X samples have been a little better with high velocity ammunition compared to the CZ.

I prefer the bolt on the T1X and CZ to the Bergara.

I prefer the KRG stock to either. The CZ At-One stock is OK for all-around use.

If you are after the most accurate, as-delivered the Bergara wins, but, you could always swap the CZ or Tikka barrels.

I prefer the bolt on the T1X and CZ to the Bergara.

The Bergara shines with Lapua ammunition as designed.

One last note, I've experienced feed and/or extraction issues with all CZ and T1X examples and observed others have similar issues in competition. This may not matter if you are bench shooting with friends out on the farm. I'd chose the B14R and use your Reeds bucks and top it off with the Match Pro! My second choice would be the CZ At-One with 16" barrel.

Just to chime in because I was in the same boat and ended up owning all three. It’s hard to compare the b14 with the 457 and t1x because of price point.

I started with a 457 AT-ONE and it was pretty darn good. Won my first match with it. Cycles buttery smooth. And the accuracy was fairly out of the box. I’ve just been shooting CCI SV so can’t tell you much on the gun with other rounds. All in all it was a great gun but I knew I always wanted a Tikka.

The tikka is my go to gun for running comps I kid you not, completely stock other than a slip on cheek piece for scope height and my gun literally runs with the $2k+ guns without issues. At first the stock seemed on the smaller side but I grew into it and run it the way I got it. I’ve only run CCI SV and SK rifle match and they both shoot great. SK fails to eject time to time but didn’t take the time to figure out that kink just yet.

To sum up the two guns in my experience. I like the CZ quality and action. But the shooting experience wasn’t it for me. When I get behind my Tikka it seems like I don’t need to try to shoot sub MOA. It shoots relatively easier that the CZ for some reason. I can shoot it faster and more accurately.

For the bergara…it’s a $1k gun. To be honest I don’t have as much time as I would like on that gun because I do just love my tikka. Not being biased. The gun is really accurate and I would say the tikka and bergara are in the same class for accuracy. The thing that threw me off when hopping onto the bergara is that the bolt is clunky. Like really clunky where I don’t want to run it in a comp because of that slowness compared to the other two guns. It sure is accurate but for the comps I do it requires some speed because the timing factor. The fact that the bolt is clunky takes a tad bit more time or for me to get off my scope to cycle the bolt.

Looking to get my bolt rifle to mess around with friends bench shooting on private farms...I will not be doing any type of sanctioned competition. Probably about 50 and 100 yards most of the time.

I've been researching a lot and the 457 and T1X are the ones I gravitate to with the T1X being the one I keep going back to. I was hoping a $500 price point but the "buy once, cry once" saying keeps going off in my head...I had started my research thinking about a RPR.

So on to my question...in the long run, would I be better getting a B-14R or a T1X with a KRG bravo? I may very well be happy with the T1X stock since I'm a newbie but started thinking of the future.
Thanks
If you are just going to plink around with buddies I would go with the Tikka. Check out Arken Scopes. Great for the $. They have a special going on right now. Have fun and enjoy!