• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading barrel - Best $ spend?

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
Currently running a CZ 457 with a factory match barrel. Purpose is competition.

Is getting a new barrel the best spend of $ here, or should I save to get a Vudoo?
I'm not entirely sure how much upgrading the action (getting the Vudoo) will benefit as compared to installing a new barrel like Walter Loather or IBI.
The wait times for a barrel is a few months so just trying to plan ahead.

Thank you

I I was going to upgrade the barrel it would be to a Lilja and it would a pretty good upgrade. But it all depends on how your existing setup is doing. If you can shoot 1/2 - 3:4 inch 5 shot groups stay with what you have until you are not competitive ( at whatever level you shoot). Voodoos are nice but it is an expensive rabbit hole and the CZ can help you get experience and a vision of what you want.

Reactions: Islander
The answer to your question is likely highly dependent upon the type of "competition" you are in, your ultimate goals, and your budget.
PRS/NRL22? benchrest? local club? nationally sanctioned? ???
A couple of thoughts:
1) If you change a barrel many organizations will no longer let you compete in "Factory" classes. You may then have to compete head to head against full custom rifles.
2) There is literally no way to make a CZ457 competitive in Unlimited BR competition.
3) The CZ action is not strong and is not the best candidate for a heavy contour barrel.
4) If you choose to replace your barrel, which MAY or MAY NOT improve precision, the best chance of maximizing precision is to go with a top tier barrelmaker. If a prefit, NOT WL or IBI or EABCO or PetesP!. Better yet, a gunsmith installed SS true match-grade barrel from Shilen, Muller, Bartlien etc..
5) You may (very probably) be able to dramatically improve the precision of your factory barrel/rifle with the use of higher quality ammo, especially a type and lot that has been tested to work in YOUR rifle.
6) While Vudoo's are great rifles, they are very expensive relative to a rebarreling, other improvements and modifications, and many other rimfire rifles. Vudoo's are also barrel dependent and you should order one with a top tier barrel (i.e. Bartlien).
7) The plastic pillar bedding of the 457VMTR is not well done as the pillar material compresses and the 457's precision is very finicky with respect to action screw torque. Factory class allowable modifications such as proper pillar/epoxy bedding, trigger modification or replacement and re-crowning of your factory barrel may provide improved precision at a fraction of the cost of a Vudoo, and would be advised even if you choose to upgrade the barrel.
Apologies if you are already aware of this stuff.

Consistent ignition is easier to achieve and maintain on the custom actions. Trigger selection is also greater.
Todd

What about the CZ 457 action compromises consistent ignition?
The CZ457 trigger can be easily and cheaply modified down to about 12oz.. Aftermarket (i.e. Jard) triggers are readily available to go benchrest level lower, which is NOT needed for PRS/NRL type competition.

Reactions: JKW70
Easier is the key word. The tolerances held in aftermarket actions. The ability to get a trigger low in break weight is only part of a good trigger. When checking ignition consistency, there is triggers that preform better than others. This is looking at it from a benchrest view. It very well may not be necessary if the op is talking about PRS\NRL.
Todd

Und - Are you currently shooting in 'Competition' ? If so, what type/level. What is your rifle now ? A V-MTR or what ? Is the trigger adjusted down to lowest - ca 10-12-oz - and will your competition allow trigger upgrade ? Beyond trigger adj or change I feel you should look into firing pin profile for consistent ignition. Also, look at a Front rest upgrade. And what ammo are you using to determine current performance ?

Und - Are you currently shooting in 'Competition' ? If so, what type/level. What is your rifle now ? A V-MTR or what ? Is the trigger adjusted down to lowest - ca 10-12-oz - and will your competition allow trigger upgrade ? Beyond trigger adj or change I feel you should look into firing pin profile for consistent ignition. Also, look at a Front rest upgrade. And what ammo are you using to determine current performance ?
I did take part at a local prs style comp. I tried it with a CZ457.
Lately, at the range I was able to get 1/2in group at 50m with lapua ammo with a "flier".
For the trigger, it likely isn't the lowest but I'd at a level that I feel comfortable with.

Last edited: