• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading from Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 binos.

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I'm looking to upgrade from my Nikon Monarch 5's. I currently have the 10x42 model. I'm looking at the Vortex Razor HD's 10x42 or possibly 8x42. Do you think I'll see a noticeable difference in these in real world applications? Kinda hard to tell at the store. I'm also considering the Zeiss Conquest. The Razors are lighter and I like the Vortex warranty, customer service and veteran support. I'll be using these mostly on western hunts spending long periods of time behind the glass.

I would also throw the new Meopta binoculars. More specificly the Meopro HDs. I've always been pretty impressed with their glass work and the new Meopro HDs are no exception.

Clarity in their product is what you would find in a top tier european manufacturer. Lowlight performance is fantastic due to them coating for the 400-450nm spectrum vs their competitors that are coating for 500-550nm range. Edge to edge quality is very nice. Their color and contrast get great reviews from customers who have them. I personally have a pair of the Meostar HDs, but i would take a pair of Meopros in a heartbeat.

They remind me of the older Conquest Binos before the split to Terra and HDs but better in terms of clarity.

Meopta Meopro Binoculars

Thanks Chris. I'm overseas right now so I'm not going to be able to shop/compare anything. I'm totally relying on research and opinions at this point. I can get the Razor's for the same price as the Meopta Meopro HD's. Which do you think has better glass?

The Leupold BX-4 area also a decent option for the money. I've owned some BX-3's and BX-4's, both were good binos. I now roll with Swaro 8x32's EL's and have also had some Swaro 10x42 EL's, and of course there is a difference in low-light conditions....but I sometimes I even have trouble convincing myself it was worth the extra $1500.

Going back to my original question does anyone have any experience with both the Monarch 5's and Vortex HD's? Is the glass in the HD's a lot nicer? I feel like it has to be because I'm not overly impressed with the Monarch 5's. Don't get me wrong, they're great for the money but if i'm behind the glass for a while my eyes start to get tired. I'm sure this happens with most binos but I always hear of guys glassing all day with little to no eye strain. So Monarch 5's vs. Vortex HD's?