• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Upgrading Optics: Help me decide

charliethetuna

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Oklahoma
Hello everyone! I recently built a 6.5 creedmoor and have been having a blast with it. Shot out to 1200 yards today, and it surpassed my expectations. It currently has a Millet LRS on it until I decide exactly what I want. I'm trying to keep my budget around $1300 for the optic. I would like Mil/Mil, FFP, and zero-stops. I'd really like to stay in the 25x range as well, now that I'm used to it on the millet. I am military, so that opens up a few options as well with various discounts. I would love some objective feedback on what might be the best option for me. Intended use will be prs-style club matches and hunting. Here's my list:

Gen II Viper PST (heard some rumors about a shipment this week, so maybe there will be some feedback soon)

Gen I Razor 5-20 (this is what I'm leaning towards)

Bushnell XRS 4.5-30

Burris XTR II

Leupold Variant

Nightforce SHV

Any additions to the list would also be welcome. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I would encourage you to use your military discount.......you've earned it and it will help get you into a nice scope for your rifle. Looks is like you've been doing some research and have a nice list to choose from. FWIW.......I like the first two on your list. I think the Gen2 PST will be a huge hit.....with it's list of upgraded features and upgraded optics package. I'm seriously considering upgrading a Gen1 FFP pst 6-24x that I purchased new a little over a year ago......just for the better turrets alone. With the lower prices offered on the Gen1 Razors.......they are a very solid bargain. I just received my first two Gen2 Razors a couple of weeks ago...the HD optics package in the Razors is extremely nice.....you'd be happy with that choice as well.

Best of luck to you......for the money you have allocated I would encourage you purchasing one of the. Vortex scopes you listed. Nothing wrong with some of the others you listed......but I think with a discount......your money will get you more scope from Vortex.

Last edited:
I would agree with the statement above, stay with Vortex and use the discount... The gen 2 Razor is an awesome scope but a little pricey, I've heard decent things about the gen 1 Razor but never owned one... Had a XTR II, not a fan, that's all I'll say about that to keep from starting a feud... Never owned the SHV so can't comment on that one either.. Good luck, shop wisely and also watch the PX here for some good used optics as well..

I've looked though a nightforce shv and it's crystal clear. The reticle is nice. It was a top 3 on my list due to its low price. I have not looked through the others but I was in the same boat as you and ended up with a Razor AMG.

I've got the xtr ii 5-25. For the money it's a good value. Mechanically it's great but it does leave a little to be desired on the glass. With that said I am very happy with the purchase based on what I could afford.

With your budget I'd give heavy consideration to the vortex gen ii pst line, Bushnell gen ii DMR and possibly the Bushnell ERS. The XRS is unimpressive at max magnification.

Charlie, thank you for your service. Based on what you've described I'd highly recommend the Bushnell DMR II-I 3.5-21x50, with your mil discount it fits nicely in your budget and the glass and mechanics are really good for the price. Unless the new Vortex PST II 5-25x50 performs way above its class it's going to to be hard to beat the DMR II-i for its price. The Burris XTR II is a tank with great turrets, but the DMR II has better glass and easier to get behind.

Reactions: chevy327
With your military discount you can get the Gen 1 Razor and a set of rings pretty close to what you're wanting to spend. Great scope. I've got the Gen II PST ordered but I doubt that I'll see it for several months. I'd buy another Gen I Razor but the scope is going on a .22 and needs to focus to 25 yards. The Gen i Razor only will focus to 50 yards.

Charlie, thank you for your service. Based on what you've described I'd highly recommend the Bushnell DMR II-I 3.5-21x50, with your mil discount it fits nicely in your budget and the glass and mechanics are really good for the price. Unless the new Vortex PST II 5-25x50 performs way above its class it's going to to be hard to beat the DMR II-i for its price. The Burris XTR II is a tank with great turrets, but the DMR II has better glass and easier to get behind.

This, especially the thanks for your service.

I am starting to get back to shooting a little more. Mounted my DMRII on my 223 and spent a little time with it. I am pretty impressed with the DMRII. I liked my Gen 1 Razor also, but I wouldnt go back to it or the ERS\XRS over the DMRII. I

If you stretched your budget slightly you could get into a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56. It has fantastic glass, super reticle .2 mil reticle, 25Y minimum parallax, compact, daylight bright illume and 33 mils of travel.

I saw some on sale around christmas for a little less than $1400.

Supercorndogs, will be sending you a PM if you have the time. Would love to hear your opinion on the hdmr vs the razor gen I.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions, and especially for your support.

If you stretched your budget slightly you could get into a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56. It has fantastic glass, super reticle .2 mil reticle, 25Y minimum parallax, compact, daylight bright illume and 33 mils of travel.

I saw some on sale around christmas for a little less than $1400.

I have been so tempted to check one of these out.