• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading reloading equipment

K80/6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
Kirkwood, Missouri
I’m wanting to slowly start upgrading my reloading equipment and would like opinions on what is more important to start with. Right know I have Rock Chucker supreme, Redding type s dies and mandrel, chargemaster 1500, rcbs bench primer seater, annealeez, hornady case trimmer. What I would like to upgrade to is a nicer press, 3 way case trimmer either giraud or Henderson, CPS priming tool, and autotrickler v4, possibly an amp annealer later on. How would you rank these upgrades compared to my current setup on what to buy first. This may take me a year or two to complete all the upgrades.

Nothing wrong with your press.
V4 would be my first. I jumped from a thrower and scale (like 20 years worth) right too it, cutting out the Chargemaster all together.
Trimmer maybe, I haven't done that one yet.
I got the CPS last year when they had an Xmas promotion for $500.
Wanted the AMP but am running the Annealeez, Not sure about making that jump and having to handle every case.
Watch for deals and snag them when available.

I'm with Halfnutz. A good standard (iT's NoT a ScAlE!) to measure powder is key to consistent velocities. Go with the V4 or save a little money and buy a V3 that people are trying to sell.

I love my Co-Ax and it seems to be doing the job just fine for me, and I also think your press should be just fine the way it is.

The AMP is a killer setup but I only bought one because I scored a cert that took $400 off.

With what you have I would go:
AutoTrickler
Giraud
AMP

Reactions: K80/6.5
All the stuff you listed seems pretty good, not sure getting anything fancier will do much at all for you... but if you want new stuff, go ahead.

That said, with what components are going for these days (and with prices probably only going one way, up, from here on out), I honestly recommend upgrading one's stockpile... because all that other stuff will likely not increase in price and scarcity as fast as components. Buying in bulk is the way, won't matter how fancy your reloading kit is if you don't have anything to load...

I do a lot of rifle cases for prairie dog hunting and some match ammo and personally, I despised trimming and chamfering cases more than about any prep stage. I got the Giraud trimmer and it saves so much time and effort with better results. I also got the V3 scale combo and it also saves a lot of time. Soooo, although close I would get the trimmer first and then the V3 (or 4).

Reactions: M1A1Abrams
Since time is far more expensive than money, it makes a lot of sense to spend your money buying time where you can, so that you can spend your time on the more intricate parts of reloading, or even better, shooting and screwing.

Personally I was fairly happy with the charge master; the independent trim, chamfer and deburr processes on the other hand sucked. I would go with the giraud or henderson (or any motorized three way trimmer) first. Saves you touching each piece of brass two extra times. Maybe all that really means if you get the hornady threeway cutter and drill power attachment for that trimmer lathe, still slow chucking each one up though.

After I get my brass prep sped up THEN I would go to the autothrow over the chargemaster.

Reactions: K80/6.5 and simonp
I’m sort of doing the same thing except I’m keeping my 3 chuckers to use for specialty dedicated stuff like decaping/bullet puller and one dedicated wildcat cartridge.

I just don’t like using the Dillon 650 for rifle so I’m making it for pistol only

Then a bought the following new stuff:

V4+scale
Zero press
Henderson 3 way
Redding comp bushings for 223 and a SAC set for Creedmoor.

Still keeping my rcbs chargemaster

Probably going to get an AMP (I thought they have some automated feeder for the amp (but expensive and when does it end.)

I’m sort of doing the same thing except I’m keeping my 3 chuckers to use for specialty dedicated stuff like decaping/bullet puller and one dedicated wildcat cartridge.

I just don’t like using the Dillon 650 for rifle so I’m making it for pistol only

Then a bought the following new stuff:

V4+scale
Zero press
Henderson 3 way
Redding comp bushings for 223 and a SAC set for Creedmoor.

Still keeping my rcbs chargemaster

Probably going to get an AMP (I thought they have some automated feeder for the amp (but expensive and when does it end.)
The Amp Mate looks like an amazing thing. A bit Rube Goldbergish, and probably a pain for change over. Do I want one? Hell yes.

Funny. I agree. I remember my son and I have to do a rube project for his school. Now that you mention it that amp mate is kind of rube LOL

Get a concentricity gauge to see if you even need to upgrade. You can measure runout on every step to see what can be improved to make straighter ammo. (Unless you just want fancier gear on your bench)

Get a concentricity gauge to see if you even need to upgrade. You can measure runout on every step to see what can be improved to make straighter ammo. (Unless you just want fancier gear on your bench)
I just got a Co-Ax press and sold my RCBS, absolutely love it. Different to set up your dies but super slick.

Keep all that and buy powder and primers. It’s a smarter investment I promise. You’re not going to make much better ammo than you are right now.

The gear you have (minus electronics) will outlive you and can eventually be functional family pass-down heirlooms for your kids (heck maybe your grandkids).

That said, I'd go for the Giraud trimmer first to save real time, right now, to help with your consistency.

I think an AMP annealer is way expensive (and probably slower), and though I have two Chargemasters I use a Redding powder drop far more often.

Thanks everyone appreciate all the help. Glad to hear the rock chucker will be fine for a while eventually might get a 419…. Between the Henderson and giraud I’m having a hard time choosing right now I have 6.5 cm, plan on getting something in 6mm and .223. Seems like it would be a toss up on price any preferences between the two?

I do not see or hear many folks talk about the 21st century mini lathe. I love mine. It can 3 way trim and neck turn. One of my favorite tools. Makes doing the trim, chamfer and deburr process fast and easy.

I think folks have hit the rest of it rather well. But I would give the 21st century mini lathe a look. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

I’m wanting to slowly start upgrading my reloading equipment and would like opinions on what is more important to start with. Right know I have Rock Chucker supreme, Redding type s dies and mandrel, chargemaster 1500, rcbs bench primer seater, annealeez, hornady case trimmer. What I would like to upgrade to is a nicer press, 3 way case trimmer either giraud or Henderson, CPS priming tool, and autotrickler v4, possibly an amp annealer later on. How would you rank these upgrades compared to my current setup on what to buy first. This may take me a year or two to complete all the upgrades.
What are your priorities? Do you have a specific problem that you need to fix? Is your current setup fast enough for your needs? Are your groups good enough? Do you need more flexibility?

Speaking for myself, I have a Giraud and I like it - quick and does a great job, I have other ways to trim but it doesn't make much difference on the target. I have a V2/3 autotrickler - it is the greatest single contributor to accuracy. I had a chargemaster, Mr Autotrickler is a lot better. Other presses are different (faster, more handy, different colors, exotic materials) but you can't buy a press that is sufficiently better than you RCBS that it will make much difference on your targets. I happen to use a RCBS for sizing and neck expanding and an arbor press and Wilson dies for seating but I think I could do seating on the RCBS with little or no effect on the target. I hand prime but I have ALWAYS hand primed (Sinclair) so I don't know about that. I anneal and I know that helps accuracy but you have an annealer - a different one isn't likely to make much difference on the target. What about measuring tools? For example, a better torque wrench for receiver bolts, scope bolts, etc or better case shoulder measurement tool or tools to disassemble your bolt? Make your decision based on your priorities and your funds.

What are your priorities? Do you have a specific problem that you need to fix? Is your current setup fast enough for your needs? Are your groups good enough? Do you need more flexibility?

Speaking for myself, I have a Giraud and I like it - quick and does a great job, I have other ways to trim but it doesn't make much difference on the target. I have a V2/3 autotrickler - it is the greatest single contributor to accuracy. I had a chargemaster, Mr Autotrickler is a lot better. Other presses are different (faster, more handy, different colors, exotic materials) but you can't buy a press that is sufficiently better than you RCBS that it will make much difference on your targets. I happen to use a RCBS for sizing and neck expanding and an arbor press and Wilson dies for seating but I think I could do seating on the RCBS with little or no effect on the target. I hand prime but I have ALWAYS hand primed (Sinclair) so I don't know about that. I anneal and I know that helps accuracy but you have an annealer - a different one isn't likely to make much difference on the target. What about measuring tools? For example, a better torque wrench for receiver bolts, scope bolts, etc or better case shoulder measurement tool or tools to disassemble your bolt? Make your decision based on your priorities and your funds.
You’re right my reloads right now are constantly 1/2-3/4in. My biggest concern is speeding up the tedious process of reloading brass prep/ dropping powder. So I think I’m going to start with the Henderson/giraud and v3/4. Maybe upgrade later on to nicer press just because I do appreciate nice things. The amp and cps would fall under the nice things don’t have to have them right away. I appreciate everyone responses. It reassured me I was picking the right items to upgrade first.

Reactions: sinister
Thanks everyone appreciate all the help. Glad to hear the rock chucker will be fine for a while eventually might get a 419…. Between the Henderson and giraud I’m having a hard time choosing right now I have 6.5 cm, plan on getting something in 6mm and .223. Seems like it would be a toss up on price any preferences between the two?

While a nice luxury, the Area419 press won't really have any benefit downrange.

If money is tight, I would spend the money where you will see performance gains. After that, upgrade for luxury if you want.

While a nice luxury, the Area419 press won't really have any benefit downrange.

If money is tight, I would spend the money where you will see performance gains. After that, upgrade for luxury if you want.
That’s the plan! Thanks I went ahead and got n the list for the V4. Might have to ask for last minute Christmas present for the trimmer.

The RCBS is a "Great" press, nothing that is going to make a change in your reloaded rounds that's nicer.

Been using mine since I first got it in 1979. :)
You’re right my reloads right now are constantly 1/2-3/4in. My biggest concern is speeding up the tedious process of reloading brass prep/ dropping powder. So I think I’m going to start with the Henderson/giraud and v3/4. Maybe upgrade later on to nicer press just because I do appreciate nice things. The amp and cps would fall under the nice things don’t have to have them right away. I appreciate everyone responses. It reassured me I was picking the right items to upgrade first.

Just going to second the consensus that speeding the (accurate) powder charge operation is the best return on investment. If you model you whole process you can put a time saved, dollars spent, etc analysis together and it recoups the capital outlay faster than any other process upgrade.

Case charge variation will also impact performance beyond 600.

Surprisingly, the 3 way trimmer updates take a bit longer to payoff, under this method, and they likely have less quantifiable pact on target, but over the long haul, 3-4000 rounds, they are good investments. Perhaps more importantly, they are also just sensible in terms of workflow.

Arguably brass trimming, measuring, etc is rather tedious, so depending on what your current workflow is, the qualitative benefit of removing a couple tedious steps from workflow may be greater than simply the quantitative benefit of speeding up one step etc.

So some of that is personal, and other elements are process and scale related.

Good luck either way...🤠

About the only thing I’d Charge is getting a V3 or V4.
The rest you’ll just be spending money to spend money.
I have a V3 presently that I am delighted with and I have no plans of upgrading to V4.
However, knowing what I know now, if I were starting from scratch, I would buy the V4. It's actually simpler than that, I don't think Adam is even selling the V3 anymore.

If the O/P is looking at an annealer, I would highly recommend (from personal experience) an "Annie"

3-way trimming in one pass and you are done - maybe the best saving time to do trimming, champfer & deburr in one pass.

autotrickler v4 + FX120i - best and fastest scale right now for this money, much improvement over chargemaster; not time saving vs chargemaster but accuracy. this buy is the best for accuracy.

turret press (T7) if you need more than one die, because you can just turn head and you are rady to go with different die. or change head and you are on different calibre. not better, but much time saving.
or just another single stage press and have two for different dies.

annealing - someone do it, someone does not and still win competitions. to get longer brass time. amp should be the one, but you must decide. if you already got one, than no.

CPS priming tool vs rcbs bench primer - totaly waste of money, no better priming, totaly brainwashed if you think you will make better ammo.

I have a V3 presently that I am delighted with and I have no plans of upgrading to V4.
However, knowing what I know now, if I were starting from scratch, I would buy the V4. It's actually simpler than that, I don't think Adam is even selling the V3 anymore.

If the O/P is looking at an annealer, I would highly recommend (from personal experience) an "Annie"
I only mentioned the V3 because I’m sure plenty with be for sale here.
It’s a great unit.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I have upgraded to a Giraud, and v3 autotrickler but my Annealez gen 2 and Rock Chucker press are still working just fine.

For me, the Giraud was the best money I spent. I loath brass prep. After that the V3 was a much needed upgrade.

Just picked up a used v3 from a member saved some cash going used and will have it way quicker than waiting on v4. Will probably go with the Henderson next just because it less of a wait time over the giraud.