• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UPS Store Refuses Packages ... Diligent or Douchebags ???

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Disclaimer: RANT follows ...

Preface: It takes a lot to piss me off ...

So this is weird ... twice. A couple of weeks ago I sold a rifle, and had it packed and labeled for UPS-Ground using my own customer account. Took it to the UPS Store here in Bend, Oregon and the person behind the counter says "What is it?". I respond "A well-packed and unloaded rifle". She then says ... "You have to take that to a UPS Company Hub, we're a franchise and can't ship firearms of any kind". After a lengthy debate, all very polite, I realized I should have said "Dog Food" or maybe "A Tent" because she'd have no way to verify or confirm. I walked away, drove to the UPS Hub, and said "You can ship this firearm, right?". The answer was "Of course - not a problem".

Fast forward to yesterday ... I had an Amazon shipment of three electric horse stall water heaters that were the wrong type and I needed to return them. I did the Amazon return authorization, and packed them in exactly the same box they arrived in. When I went to the UPS Store, the same lady said "We can't take that package." I asked "Why not?". The answer was "Because that symbol is on the box."

Here's the symbol she was pointing at ... and she said it was a code for "Hazardous Material".

1642697081885.png

I explained what was in the box, and that there was nothing even remotely hazardous about it, and that was the same box it arrived in two days earlier. I got the same schtick ... "You'll have to go to the UPS Hub and see if they'll take it. Another polite argument, with the same justification that they were a "franchise" and had rules about what they could accept.

Again, I drove to the UPS Hub and dropped the package with no issues. I asked the desk clerk that accepted the package why the UPS Store can't take this ... and she had some choice words for the local UPS store.

My guess is that they don't make any money on packages dropped there that are pre-labeled, and they're consciously discouraging that wherever possible.

So don't believe the commercials ... the reality is the UPS Store's "...ing..." marketing campaign, along with packING, shippING, faxING, copyING, etc. ... needs to add "refusING" to their list.

Lessons Learned
    1. Lie about what's in the box if you're shipping firearms from a UPS Store
    2. If that symbol is on the box, use a different box if you're shipping from a UPS Store
    3. Just drive straight to the UPS Hub since the UPS Store is stocked with douchebags
    Here endeth the lesson (and the rant).

These policies have been in place for years. Not saying that I agree with them, but this is nothing new.

Lying about the contents of a package isn't so hot of an idea when you need to make an insurance claim - and excessively high theft rates are one of the reasons that UPS will only accept firearms at its hubs.

Sounds like you need to take your beef to UPS, not the stores. I can pretty much guarantee the franchises aren’t setting those rules for themselves, I’ve had the same issue with ammo.

The stores always want you inside the doors to try to sell you post-it’s or a roll of packing tape, just like any other storefront.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

So this is weird ... twice. A couple of weeks ago I sold a rifle, and had it packed and labeled for UPS-Ground using my own customer account. Took it to the UPS Store here in Bend, Oregon and the person behind the counter says "What is it?". I respond "A well-packed and unloaded rifle". She then says ... "You have to take that to a UPS Company Hub, we're a franchise and can't ship firearms of any kind". After a lengthy debate, all very polite, I realized I should have said "Dog Food" or maybe "A Tent" because she'd have no way to verify or confirm. I walked away, drove to the UPS Hub, and said "You can ship this firearm, right?". The answer was "Of course - not a problem".

Fast forward to yesterday ... I had an Amazon shipment of three electric horse stall water heaters that were the wrong type and I needed to return them. I did the Amazon return authorization, and packed them in exactly the same box they arrived in. When I went to the UPS Store, the same lady said "We can't take that package." I asked "Why not?". The answer was "Because that symbol is on the box."

Here's the symbol she was pointing at ... and she said it was a code for "Hazardous Material".

View attachment 7789033

I explained what was in the box, and that there was nothing even remotely hazardous about it, and that was the same box it arrived in two days earlier. I got the same schtick ... "You'll have to go to the UPS Hub and see if they'll take it. Another polite argument, with the same justification that they were a "franchise" and had rules about what they could accept.

Again, I drove to the UPS Hub and dropped the package with no issues. I asked the desk clerk that accepted the package why the UPS Store can't take this ... and she had some choice words for the local UPS store.

My guess is that they don't make any money on packages dropped there that are pre-labeled, and they're consciously discouraging that wherever possible.

So don't believe the commercials ... the reality is the UPS Store's "...ing..." marketing campaign, along with packING, shippING, faxING, copyING, etc. ... needs to add "refusING" to their list.

Lessons Learned
    2. If that symbol is on the box, use a different box if you're shipping from a UPS Store
    3. Just drive straight to the UPS Hub since the UPS Store is stocked with douchebags
    I tried shipping a wiring harness in a box that originally had ammo in it. I forgot to remove the warning label sticker on the side, and the UPS store refused to ship it initially. I argued that it was just a wiring harness. I cut the box open to demonstrate the fact. They accepted the package AFTER I removed the warning label that didn't belong on the box anyway. It was my oversight to try and use the box to begin with.

So it might not be a localized UPS Store issue.
    It may be "new rules".

And while we're talking about UPS - WTF is it with them trying to deliver packages to my business at 7:00 or 8:00 at night in a typical industrial park that pretty much every business closes many hours before that? They ended up with 7 different tracking numbers / packages before I finally was able to get them to deliver them during business hours. And then right now I show 2 packages scheduled to be delivered by 9:00pm Friday night? WTF? How is this supposed to EVER work?

These policies have been in place for years. Not saying that I agree with them, but this is nothing new.

Lying about the contents of a package isn't so hot of an idea when you need to make an insurance claim - and excessively high theft rates are one of the reasons that UPS will only accept firearms at its hubs.
    Thanks ... 1 Vote in the "Diligent" column.

View attachment 7789033

Lessons Learned
    It seems to depend on the individual ups store as to whether they will accept firearms shipments. I have one here in vegas not far from me that accepts them (i pack, label in advance) while a couple give me the same story you got and refuse to accept.

That said, I typically drive any firearms to the Hub or request a pick up as ups insurance policy seems to require it and don’t consider leaving it wuth the UPS store as acceptable for claims purposes.

The most frustrating part about dealing with these shipping companies, is that many of the employees do not even understand their companies own policies when it comes to shipping such items.

At least here in Tucson AZ, I determined it's impossible to ship a firearm without the use of an FFL.

I took a rifle chassis to a the ups store so they could pack and ship. Dumb fag at the counter wouldn't ship a chassis.

I always go to the hub, even though it’s farther and a bother. As far as haz-mat labels on a box…well that’s what they are there for , right? My problem with these major delivery companies is saying a package will be delivered on x day and between y time. Watching live tracking on truck just a couple streets away and then the delivery being rescheduled for the next day. Grrrrrr!

The "not shipping anything firearm related" is at the individual store's discretion. They can do it, or choose not to; it's entirely on them (not UPS itself). I'm in SoCal, so we have a lot of the liberal types, so it's a no-go at the store.

Solution? I go the same distance in the opposite direction to a Postal Annex. They typically don't care, and they host UPS, FedEx and USPS. (Plus it's run by a couple of older ladies, who remember when firearms were not a big deal.)

All that being said, ammo is a different story (AFAIK). It has to go to a hub, and have the appropriate labels (which are on the UPS website). Just print out, cut up, and paste to the box.

i dropped off a rifle at the ups store near me. they didn't ask (though they did seem tempted) and i didn't say what was in the box. but they refused to sign the preprinted page that showed they took delivery of a $1k insured box. said i could come back and have the pickup driver sign and he was usually there sometime between 5-6pm. they did give me a receipt showing i dropped it off.

All that being said, ammo is a different story (AFAIK). It has to go to a hub, and have the appropriate labels (which are on the UPS website). Just print out, cut up, and paste to the box.
    i'm not aware that ammo is an exception, but maybe it is. i've handed ammo to drivers delivering me stuff, also dropped off at ups/mail it all places, and also dropped off at dropoff points such as some auto stores. i always have the 'diamond' label on the box. no one has told me to get lost, at least yet.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Just go to the hub, ups stores suck ass, hub although short hours always super nice at least where I am.

Reactions: FredBart
    In all this, I've just learned my lesson. Everything goes to the UPS Hub ... which is the same drive as the UPS Store, just in a different direction. I hand them the package, they say "Need a receipt?", I say either "Yes" or "No", and walk out. They don't even ask what's in the box.

Their policy is that you can hand off hazardous material directly to a driver because they are part of UPS corporate.

The stores are franchises and I don't believe the hazardous materials licenses covers them. They don't get the required training in how to deal with transporting and what to do in case of an accident. That's why they won't take them.

Luckily for me, I have a hub in my town for UPS and the Fedex hub is just one town over.

Reactions: MadDuner

They have a page dedicated to the subject on UPS's website. When I ship ammo, I usually schedule a pick-up (which costs a little bit extra). If your driver is already making a stop to drop stuff off, you can probably save yourself the pick-up fee and just hand it off. A vote for diligent from me, and what CoryT said is exactly right. If you lie about your package contents, when push comes to shove, you aren't going to see one red cent from the shipping company.

They did you a favor with the hazardous material label. When it got to the hub they probably would have charged your account when they see your label didn't have the hazardous charge on it. I've gotten charged for having the wrong weight by a pound...then again, one time I accidentally had my scale switched to Kilograms and wrote the weight as pounds...about 90% error...and they never caught it.

I used to go to fed ex for firearms shipments but they changed the rules last year so now it's ups hub. gun parts etc. are simply 'spare metal parts' to the ups store. lol

The "not shipping anything firearm related" is at the individual store's discretion. They can do it, or choose not to; it's entirely on them (not UPS itself). I'm in SoCal, so we have a lot of the liberal types, so it's a no-go at the store.

Solution? I go the same distance in the opposite direction to a Postal Annex. They typically don't care, and they host UPS, FedEx and USPS. (Plus it's run by a couple of older ladies, who remember when firearms were not a big deal.)

This right here.

I have a Postal Annex right near where I live and the old broad that runs it is knowledgeable and has no issues shipping firearms. She now gets all my shipping business.

Their policy is that you can hand off hazardous material directly to a driver because they are part of UPS corporate.

The stores are franchises and I don't believe the hazardous materials licenses covers them. They don't get the required training in how to deal with transporting and what to do in case of an accident. That's why they won't take them.

Luckily for me, I have a hub in my town for UPS and the Fedex hub is just one town over.
    I get that ... but an unloaded firearm isn't "hazardous" in any way, and the only way to have an accident with it is if you drop it on your foot. I understand your point for shipping "HazMat" designated stuff like powder and primers, and I can even "sort of" get it for finished ammunition. But this "loosy-goosy" sometimes we'll take it and sometimes we won't policy is just weird, especially as it relates to parts like chassis and barrels. But that's just me ...

It is also a federal crime.

View attachment 7789156
    Exactly why I've always disclosed that. It's just at this UPS Store that the result of that disclosure has been "Go away". BTW .... the last part of that about "common or contract carriers" is specifically and exclusively about "not" making it externally evident that the package contains a firearm. But it's got nothing to do with the ability to legally ship.

UPS stores are NOT UPS and have nothing to do with UPS other than they ship using their service. UPS stores are NOT licensed to handle firearms, but UPS is. Firearms can not be accepted by UPS Stores, you must go to UPS.

If a vendor like UPS Store has "issues" with something that is legal and doesn't violate any of the rules - simply because the "manager" has an issue with it - then they don't need your money.

UPS store mgmt has nothing to do with UPS company mgmt

This is basic life lesson 101 for dealing with rules and regs

When you buy a gun on the street you don't have to put up with ridiculous shipping requirements.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    I had same issues with UPS Stores around Alanta. I just took it to my LGS and let them toss into their stuff being shipped out. No drama there

UPS store mgmt has nothing to do with UPS company mgmt

This is basic life lesson 101 for dealing with rules and regs
    Not sure I get what you are saying here. UPS stores are franchise operations that are HEAVILY regulated by UPS corporate. Just about everything is dictated by UPS corporate. And I mean down to the smallest details.

I have had two friends that were store “owners” and the amount that UPS corporate micro-managed them was shocking.

Also if you have a problem with a UPS Store you can go to corporate for relief. They refunded some money to me from a UPS store screw up.

#1 Stop telling them whats in the box. At the very least, machine parts.

If it bothers you that much contact corporate and report the hub.

If a vendor like UPS Store has "issues" with something that is legal and doesn't violate any of the rules - simply because the "manager" has an issue with it - then they don't need your money.
    Shipping firearms IS against the rules for UPS stores. They are not UPS

Shipping firearms IS against the rules for UPS stores. They are not UPS
    This...

Also you need to declare firearms, i believe its
    under the law and thus also the rules of the carriers
    like ups fedex etc

Shipping from a business where you have real daily scheduled UPS & FedEx pickups sure does make life a lot easier.
    You can call in UPS and FedEx to have the driver come pick the stuff up from you, but I think they charge residential customers a fair bit for that.

I have used a local pack & ship that is a UPS Pickup site with no issues. Only issue I have ever had was an intrastate shipment of a shotgun. Yes at least In Texas as long as its inside the state you can use USPS.
    When the lady behind the counter asked I told her a shotgun...and she blew a head gasket and made.a huge show. Had to get the manager at the location (after explaining to him the USPS policy) to accept my package.

Reactions: davsco
    The UPS store here didn't even know their own shipping regulations, which I had printed out.

Stupid Bastards... they're out of business now for a reason.

I had a UPS store that wouldn’t ship a rifle scope, because it’s considered a firearm accessory. I went to a different store 5 minutes away and they shipped it no problem.

Look up UPS Access Points. Lots more places than UPS Store, Pak Mail, etc. Around here every CVS and Advance Auto is an AP. Just hand to them, they scan/give you receipt if you want, and you go about your merry way. Would I hand off a high-dollar pkg, probably not, but for routine shipping easy peasy.

I had been shipping Fedex for many years, and my local hub which isn't terribly far away told me that on my firearm shipments i'd have to call for a pickup, that they can't accept them at that hub. I've since switched to UPS because the rates are f'in waaaay better than Fedex, and I have my UPS drivers cell number, and I can text him and ask him to come by when he's in the area, and if he's not in the area he'll tell me where to meet him and he'll take my packages. If I have to drive to a hub, it blows, because it's a hour and a half round trip. Stocks and small stuff, I can take to the shipping store in town, they don't really seem to give a shit what I drop off there, but the stuff that's obviously guns, I give to my driver.

I understand the hassle of you guys that ship guns once in a great while, when a place that's there for you to ship from won't take your packages because of what's in it, it's irritating.

I do think it's stupid when they won't take a scope, or a bipod, or something that attaches to a firearm, but is in no way a firearm.

Branden

Reactions: DIBBS
    I tried shipping a wiring harness in a box that originally had ammo in it. I forgot to remove the warning label sticker on the side...

Some folks are freaked out by labels. I have, I dunno, over a hundred ammo cans, uh, acquired in a different life. Most still have the original markings. A year or so ago, I was shooting a match near Orlando, when I noticed a guy and his wife pointing at my cart while backing away. I walked over and the guy asks, "Do you really have blasting caps in there?" I said, "Oh, this?, and picked up the can. They backed away even further. After a couple seconds I opened it and took out a handful of .45ACP.

I'll bet most people are more afraid of a semi marked 1.1D explosives than a gasoline tanker...even though the tanker would be far more dangerous in an accident.

Half of all people are below average, it is a fact.

When dealing with members of the general public, I always just assume I'm dealing with an idiot during those interactions, until it is proved different. Idiots are very common and most likely located in between you and whatever task you need to complete.

It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to an FFL as a non-FFL. It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to a gunsmith or manufacture for repair or replacement and have it sent directly back to you with no FFL. Unless the shipper is a cunt.

If the shipper is a cunt, they will create their own fucktard, cunt rules to fuck up a perfectly legal and simple process because that is what cunts do. Now that we have a leftist fucktard/cunt president and halfwit bimbo vice president, the leftist assholes in every business are trying to "out-Woke" each other.