• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Urban Camo and Concealment

buggsb

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
S. California
Like many of you I have attended "traditional" sniper and field training. As you would expect, my gear and techniques have been driven by that training...which is typically based around military sniper applications.

I am now working in LE position and am finding I need to adopt to my new "environment" I did some searching here but have not been so successful at finding good advice about concealement in an urban environment.

While traditional Camo, Ghillies and veils are good at breaking up your outline, in most cases they will be out of place in many urban environments (they do have their place, though it is more limited). In my AO we have a few parks (with nicely manicured grass) and the occasionl yard foliage, but for the most part there are few places where traditional "field" concealment techniques will work.

In a recent deployment, it bacame painfully obvious that a blue plastic tarp, a moving blanket or a pile of old clothes would be much better camo than the field oriented gear that we are working with. Sadly enough a pile of empty Bud Light bottles would not be out of place anywhere in my AO...however I suspect a Ghillie made of old Bud Light bottles and cans would be a little too noisy for practical use
cry.gif

Do any of you have any experience operating in urban type environments??...and are you willing to share some tips and techniques that have worked for you?

Any creative ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Urban Camo and Concealment

Over whites slightly painted with gray, black and maybe brown patterns. You can paint the outside light and the inside heavy or with different colors. That way you can turn it inside out for a different pattern and shade. Other things you can try are building a hide inside a vehicle (van) or building. Otherwise, use what is your environent.

A mesh type ghillie base like the web-tex version that Brits use would be good if painted up in various shades of gray and scattered blotches of black for shadow effect. The base has veg retension bands sewn into it for if you do need to add some local vegetation or literally, some pieces of surrounding trash. A simple sheet of weathered canvas and some spray paint can work wonders too.

Thanks for the ideas.

I like the idea of a mobile vehicle based hide. I read an articvle on this some time ago and it can certainly be applicable to my mission. I'm also digging the cardboard box idea, as this has many applications and is something which can be stashed in the SWAT truc and dragged out when needed....the only difficulty here is getting it emplaced unnoticed.

Our guys made a tin box with shooting ports to look similar to utility boxes or a/c units on top of buildings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our guys made a tin box with shooting ports to look similar to utility boxes or a/c units on top of buildings.</div></div>

A tin box on a roof in the summer in Dallas would be hell.

If it's a fixed position, a knocked over garbage can with simulated garbage all around it is a good one. ... As if somebody dumped it there. Cut the bottom of the can out and observe through that.

Forego the aluminum cans unless you want a recycling-bum rummaging through your ass crack. But for that, nobody will approach.

Another idea I had but never got to put together is a trash veil. Sort of a netting/veil made to look like a pile of discarded crap. Sort of like that link above, but more specific to an urban AO.

This is definitely more challenging than hiding in a natural environment.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a fixed position, a knocked over garbage can with simulated garbage all around it is a good one. ... As if somebody dumped it there. Cut the bottom of the can out and observe through that.

Forego the aluminum cans unless you want a recycling-bum rummaging through your ass crack. But for that, nobody will approach.

Another idea I had but never got to put together is a trash veil. Sort of a netting/veil made to look like a pile of discarded crap. Sort of like that link above, but more specific to an urban AO.

This is definitely more challenging than hiding in a natural environment.

--Fargo007

</div></div>

Couldn't have said it better, those ideas are excellent.