• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Urban defensive pistol? (DFW area)

sacklunch

The Sacklunch Center for Kids Who Can’t Shoot Good
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2023
Texas
Looking for an urban defensive pistol class for my wife. She’s beyond a novice class, but not advanced by any means..looking for something to challenge her a bit and get her thinking through scenarios. Ideally something outdoors and more than just shooting at paper on berms. Have seen some courses with live fire from/near the vehicle, discussions on some of the more urban/crowded self defense TTPs for the CCW crowd, etc.

Any recs on a range or an instructor?

I've never been to this indoor range and it may not be exactly what you are looking for, but this place has a indoor shoot house with a couple different courses.

Located in North Richland Hills.

Reactions: sacklunch
Looking for an urban defensive pistol class for my wife. She’s beyond a novice class, but not advanced by any means..looking for something to challenge her a bit and get her thinking through scenarios. Ideally something outdoors and more than just shooting at paper on berms. Have seen some courses with live fire from/near the vehicle, discussions on some of the more urban/crowded self defense TTPs for the CCW crowd, etc.

Any recs on a range or an instructor?
I have a different take on this whole training crap.

Jumping into "applications" or some other kind of situational or scenario based training before achieving mastery of handgun shooting is a waste of time and money.

Why? Because you're not learning everything you need in an applications/practical class when your conscious mind is struggling to run the pistol.

You don't need to be a USPSA Grand Master but reaching the equivalent skill level of a low end USPSA B class shooter will be enough.

Hit me up via pm if you want some direction on how to evaluate your wife's (and your) skill against USPSA standards without getting into competition.

Wasn’t really the question, but thanks for the input. She’s competent, as am I. Thus, the reason for more situation dependent training. We don’t shoot plates or comps…too many hobbies to go around. Focus is being safe, having a plan, keeping SA high and staying current in self defense TTPs as they constantly evolve in an urban environment.

Been to Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. Both are excellent.

Both offer introductory handgun courses and both offer “ladies only” courses.

These offer lots of range time and lots of focus on basics, without over emphasis on tactical Tina stuff.

I don’t care who you claim to be or how much trigger time you may have, recalibration to the basics every once in a while is a good thing.

I’d send her to one of these.

Been to Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. Both are excellent.

Both offer introductory handgun courses and both offer “ladies only” courses.

These offer lots of range time and lots of focus on basics, without over emphasis on tactical Tina stuff.

I don’t care who you claim to be or how much trigger time you may have, recalibration to the basics every once in a while is a good thing.

I’d send her to one of these.
You buying? Cause an intro course is certainly not what I’m paying for. We’ve been down that road plenty of times to get her to where she is. I’m starting to think some of the folks on here have a tough time with reading comprehension. Again, she’s well past an intro class. Thank you though, I truely value your assessment of my wife’s shooting skills having never met her nor shot with her. Good inputs👍

RTFQ fellas.

Wasn’t really the question, but thanks for the input. She’s competent, as am I. Thus, the reason for more situation dependent training. We don’t shoot plates or comps…too many hobbies to go around. Focus is being safe, having a plan, keeping SA high and staying current in self defense TTPs as they constantly evolve in an urban environment.

Everyone thinks they're good with a pistol until it's time to measured against a tough standard.

I specifically did not say anything about participating in competitions.

Self defense TTPs? This isn't the army. Don't go to stupid places. Don't do stupid things. Don't be with stupid people. That will solve 98% of your problem. The other 2 percent will be solved with raw aggression and subconscious competence with your weapon of choice.

Everyone thinks they're good with a pistol until it's time to measured against a tough standard.

I specifically did not say anything about participating in competitions.

Self defense TTPs? This isn't the army. Don't go to stupid places. Don't do stupid things. Don't be with stupid people. That will solve 98% of your problem. The other 2 percent will be solved with raw aggression and subconscious competence with your weapon of choice.
Again, RTFQ…not here for the peanut gallery comment or some Joe’s opinions on training standards.this is “Not the army? Didn’t know the army was the only branch with TTPs, interesting that you thought that was a dig at me for using that term. where exactly do you think 99% of the technique taught in any shooting courses originated, ah yes, DoD.

Don’t go stupid places? It’s that simple? Lots of folks mugged, shot killed doing daily things. Gas station, grocery store, events/entertainment.

Tell me more shout your raw aggression and competence in another thread, this one was about an urban defense course. Shall I copy the original post again or you think you can read it again on your own?

Last edited:
One of us has a reading comprehension problem. It’s not me.

I have 75,000 pistol rounds and 45,000 rifle round fired between the military and shooting courses and monthly practice. I’m confident in my numbers as I’m 65, and shoot at least 2,000 pistol and 1,000 rifle per year since I was in my early 20s.

My wife is a federal agent and shoots more than most people, although much less than me.

Both of us went to the basic and more advanced pistol and rifle courses at Thunder Ranch and rediscovered something we’d become complacent on.

Maybe you and your wife are shooting savants. I dunno. Jerry Miculek says he practices basics every chance he gets. And both gives and receives instruction.

He may not be a good as your wife, though.

You buying? Cause an intro course is certainly not what I’m paying for. We’ve been down that road plenty of times to get her to where she is. I’m starting to think some of the folks on here have a tough time with reading comprehension. Again, she’s well past an intro class. Thank you though, I truely value your assessment of my wife’s shooting skills having never met her nor shot with her. Good inputs👍

RTFQ fellas.

Reactions: 308pirate
How many bow kills? I read the question. Any background in concrete?

Beginners practice tricks. Experts practice fundamentals.

If we are done, I would be looking at Gunsite and their offsite offerings in Tennessee and the Midwest. Close quarters pistol, vehicle defense, etc. Forget about ladies only courses. Ladies don’t get mugged by ladies.

I have 75,000 pistol rounds and 45,000 rifle round fired between the military and shooting courses and monthly practice. I’m confident in my numbers as I’m 65, and shoot at least 2,000 pistol and 1,000 rifle per year since I was in my early 20s.

My wife is a federal agent and shoots more than most people, although much less than me.

Both of us went to the basic and more advanced pistol and rifle courses at Thunder Ranch and rediscovered something we’d become complacent on.

Maybe you and your wife are shooting savants. I dunno. Jerry Miculek says he practices basics every chance he gets. And both gives and receives instruction.

Yawn.

I’ll make it easy for you with an example. take defensive driving courses…now, do you just send someone to drivers ed instead when they want to learn/experience defensive driving scenarios because, well, “practicing the fundamentals” is best? now remember David, hands 10 and 2, and be sure to use that turn signal”. That’ll set ya up great for that vehichle pursuit right? That’s rediculous.

Same applies to pistol/carbine courses. Of course fundamentals are required. As stated, she has those. But it’s best not to practice defensive driving for the first time when actually in a chase…same would apply for defensive handgun.

Your mileage may vary. But tell me more how good you are with a pistol…I for one, am impressed.

Last edited:
No pistol instructor in the DFW area wants that kind of BS attitude. Lots of nice guys, I like them, so I'm doing them a favor and sending you elsewhere. Plus its Texas, that kinda lip will get you hurt son.

I'm trying to remember this jackass local USPSA shooter who was a holier than thou bitch and sat on his ass while bitching how no one pasted targets. You guys would be a PERFECT match...

No pistol instructor in the DFW area wants that kind of BS attitude. Lots of nice guys, I like them, so I'm doing them a favor and sending you elsewhere. Plus its Texas, that kinda lip will get you hurt son.

I'm trying to remember this jackass local USPSA shooter who was a holier than thou bitch and sat on his ass while bitching how no one pasted targets. You guys would be a PERFECT match.

Imagine getting your feelings hurt because I don’t want listen to you and your Tuesday night plate match buddies give me unsolicited advice about the fundamentals for my wife, not knowing her background/experience level.

You gonna put me on the USPSA naughty list? Shucks…who’s gonna send me unsolicited emails and beg for my membership dues now?

Last edited:
I disregarded the former spec ops guys FOR YOUR SAFETY (and there's some legends around). You're welcome