• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2024) - Announcement

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
October 1, 2023 - URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2024) - Announcement

If you want to shoot the 3K, please read all the way to the bottom of this announcement - online registration is required! Registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, April 17, 2024.

Event: URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2024)

Date: Sunday, April 21, 2024

Place: URSA’s NorCal venue (where we normally shoot - Upper Lake, CA area)

Objective: Provide an opportunity for the shooters who qualify (see below) to competitively engage steel at approximately, 2600 yards (1.359 MOA), 3260 yards (1.084 MOA), and possibly further (all based on same-day accomplishments) and win a small remembrance of their accomplishment.

Qualification: Shooters qualify who, during regular, monthly URSA event qualifications and competitions, from October 15, 2023 through April 14, 2024, score five (5) or more hits in 10 consecutive shots at 2000 or more yards. A final 3K qualification opportunity will be the day before the 3K, Saturday the 20th.

Final 3K Qualification Opportunity, Saturday, April 20:

We will setup up one (1) target at 2147 yards (1.646 MOA), mostly in the dark, and start shooting as close as possible to sunrise. There will be no shooting beyond 2147 during this final qualification opportunity and no targets will be placed for 3K shooting on Sunday until after the close this final qualification opportunity (the close of live fire for the day). Further, since the best weather is in the early AM, and to maximize the opportunity for shooters NOT previously qualified to get qualify during this session, ONLY shooters not already qualified will be shooting. Finally, only one (1) qualification opportunity per shooter – bring your best rifle. Shooters already qualified are welcome to view this qualification session and get their “weather set up” dialed in…without shooting. All shots will be scored using IRIS hit-indicator lights, 2 per target. At least one light MUST flash for a hit to be recorded. Bounced-shot hits will NOT be counted (MD’s call as to whether a shot bounced into the target).

Course of Fire (CoF):

Seven (7) rounds “practice” for each shooter, then to the next shooter.

Three (3) more rounds “practice” followed immediately by ten (10) record rounds (for each shooter), then to the next shooter.

If the shooter gets 5 hits in 10 shots during either the 7+3 shot practice portion or during the 10-shot record portion, they qualify for the 3K on Sunday. Once qualified, such shooters are done shooting for the day.

Activities on Sunday, April 21, 2024:

The URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2024)

We will setup up one (1) target each at 2600 yards and at 3260 yards on Saturday late daytime and do final light testing (mostly in the dark) Sunday morning. We will then start shooting the 3K as close as possible to sunrise. All shots will be scored using IRIS hit-indicator lights, 2 per target. At least one light MUST flash for a hit to be recorded. Bounced-shot hits will NOT be counted (MD’s call as to whether a shot bounced into the target). As always, the targets (all) are 37” round gongs. [See “target” definition here.]

Course of Fire (CoF):

Three (3) “practice” shots (actually, 0-3 shots, shooter’s choice) at 2600 yards, immediately followed by ten (10) record shots (actually, 4-10 shots, shooter’s choice), each shooter, one after the other.

Shooters scoring at least 4 in 10 hits during the 10-round record round qualify to move on to engage the next-distance target, one shooter after another, repeating the above drill. Competition will ONLY proceed as long as there are at least two (2) shooters that have qualified to shoot each next-distance target.

NOTES for the 3K:

a. There is NO caliber limitation other than California legal (max .50 cal, i.e., .500 bore/.510 groove).

b. There are no shooting-position requirements other than it be deemed by the MD as “safe”. The MD’s call is final. [Shooters are welcome to shoot, for example, prone, off a bench, or off of a vehicle.]

c. There is NO rifle weight limitation, nor bipod requirement, nor type of trigger restriction (electric is AOK)…basically run-what-you-brung that is safe. You can get DQ’d for an unsafe firearm (slam fires, etc.), unsafe gun handling, firing out of turn, firing under “range cold” conditions, etc. The MD’s call is final.

d. We will not be able to determine the amount and height of vegetation between the shooting point and the targets until arriving on site. No land clearing will be done. So, if you plan on shooting prone, come prepared to raise your shooting position sufficiently to clearly see and engage the target. “Can’t see the target” is the shooter’s problem.

e. IF the shooter does not want to shoot the allowed 3 shots during any “practice”, the shooter MUST notify the Match Director/MD of that BEFORE taking their first “practice” shot at that distance, and the MD must confirm back to the shooter that “shooter is shooting only X practice shots.”

f. The shooter does NOT have to shoot all 10 record shots (e.g., they want to conserve ammo for a possible Sudden Death). IF that is the case, the shooter MUST notify the MD that they are through shooting at that distance, and the MD must confirm back to the shooter that “shooter has stopped shooting at (distance), unload and show clear (remove your bolt).”

g. No one is guaranteed to shoot at 3260, or beyond…for example, if you don’t qualify at the prior distance or there are not at least two (2) shooters qualified to shoot that distance.

h. The initial next-distance target will be at 3260 yards. IF we have two or more shooters who score at least 4 hits in 10 consecutive record-round shots at 3260, we will set a target at approx 3720 yards and shoot that distance – continuing to move out in distance until we fail to have at least two shooters scoring at least 4 in 10 at each prior distance. [Each new distance is approximately 500 yards further down range.]

i. Final distance “ties” will be settled by way of Sudden Death. If there is a tie for Winner, there will be a Sudden Death and the loser will be Runner-Up. If there is a Winner and a tie for Runner-Up, there will be a Sudden Death to decide Runner-Up.

j. Shooters are allowed one (1) spotter. Because of the limited parking, it is assumed that the spotter will travel to the event with the shooter. Spotters, of course, can also be shooters.

k. The ONLY non-shooter/non-spotter persons to be accommodated at the 3K (or the Saturday session) MUST be traveling with the shooter - again because of limited parking. And, PLEASE, nobody under 18 unless there is a non-shooter/non-spotter person to "watch" that individual (also traveling with the shooter). ALL attendees MUST sign the liability form.

l. Shooters qualifying on Saturday do not need to shoot the 3K with the rifle they qualified with – the shooter is qualified, not the shooter/rifle combo.

Remembrance of This Event

Everyone that qualifies for and actually shoots the 3K will receive an official URSA event t-shirt. These t-shirts will include the URSA logo and one of the following messages:

“I qualified for and shot the URSA 3000 Yard Challenge, April 21, 2024” (black logo and text on white)

“I was Runner-Up at the URSA 3000 Yard Challenge, April 21, 2024” (black logo and text on silver/gray)

“I Won the URSA 3000 Yard Challenge, April 21, 2024” (white text on bright orange – closest available to “gold”)

T-shirt size and “ship to” info will be recorded at the event and the t-shirts shipped accordingly.

There will be no “I was there” or other t-shirts provided or offered.

Conclusion:

"Registered" shooters will receive a detailed info sheet (details of where we shoot, how to get there, etc.) by e-mail on Wednesday, April 17th, evening. See the last item, below, regarding "registration".

If you've been looking for an incentive to shoot with us, this maybe it. Hope you’ll give it a try.

Those unfamiliar with URSA are referred to www.unlimitedrange.org

ALL shooters wanting to attempt to qualify for the 3K need to "register" using the link to the online form ("Online Liability Release and Build Sheet (form) for shooters") at the top of https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activity event schedule.html Registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. There will be NO onsite registration. Thanks.

ALL other attendees (i.e., those allowed as noted above), need to "register" using the online form "Online Liability Release (form) for non-shooters", same page. In the "Status" field please identify whether you are a spotter or "other", in either case, note which shooter you are traveling with. Registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. Again, NO onsite registration. Thanks.

For those coming to shoot with us not familiar with the format you will observe most of our regular shooters stop shooting at 4 hits.
Those shooters are generally saving ammo and barrel life and have already received all the possible achievement points.
You need 5 hits to qualify for the 3K so don't stop shooting until you have 5 confirmed hits.
We generally hold 2 matches per day so that gives the shooter plenty of chances to get qualified but only if you keep shooting until you get 5 confirmed hits.
Getting 3 or 4 hits in a row is fantastic shooting but you need 5 hits to qualify for the 3K!!!

If you get 4 hits you qualify to shoot the match so most of our regulars stop at 4 hits to save on ammo and barrel life.
It takes 5 hits to get an achievement point and to qualify for the 3K match.
So the regular shooters who have already maxed out on achievement points stop shooting at 4 hits.
This confuses some of the new shooters because once 4 hits has been achieved the crowd will congratulate the shooter on qualifying for the match but they are one hit short of qualifying for the 3K and an achievement point.
Unfortunately we have people posting here that our matches are hard on barrels because you must shoot 30 rounds or more to win.
In actuality you don't even need to fire the first 7 shots or the next 3 shots at all. If your gun is dialed in like most of our regulars you can just shoot 3 shots in the qualifier and 4 shots in the match and move forward.
The moderators don't want us calling anyone out so misinformation gets spread by those who have never even shot a match.
It's possible that you can win a match with just 7 shots.
In reality most shooters prefer to shoot so even after the matches are over they use up all the remaining ammo at 3720 yards.

1.646 MOA at 2147 yards is 37”. Strange it’s not 36.

Are the targets square, circular, rectangular, or other?

All targets are round and 3/8 AR500 steel so roughly 1074 square inches. A 36 inch square target is around 220 inches more area thus easier to hit.

1.646 MOA at 2147 yards is 37”. Strange it’s not 36.

Are the targets square, circular, rectangular, or other?
You are correct, 37", round. Scroll down to "Target" at https://www.unlimitedrange.org/operations.html

Also, why "round"? Because MOA measures dispersion around a point, a "circular" measurement. Ask those "organizations" that use non-round targets how they calculate MOA. Answer is they don't, because they can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: secondofangle2
If you get 4 hits you qualify to shoot the match so most of our regulars stop at 4 hits to save on ammo and barrel life.
It takes 5 hits to get an achievement point and to qualify for the 3K match.
So the regular shooters who have already maxed out on achievement points stop shooting at 4 hits.
This confuses some of the new shooters because once 4 hits has been achieved the crowd will congratulate the shooter on qualifying for the match but they are one hit short of qualifying for the 3K and an achievement point.
Unfortunately we have people posting here that our matches are hard on barrels because you must shoot 30 rounds or more to win.
In actuality you don't even need to fire the first 7 shots or the next 3 shots at all. If your gun is dialed in like most of our regulars you can just shoot 3 shots in the qualifier and 4 shots in the match and move forward.
The moderators don't want us calling anyone out so misinformation gets spread by those who have never even shot a match.
It's possible that you can win a match with just 7 shots.
In reality most shooters prefer to shoot so even after the matches are over they use up all the remaining ammo at 3720 yards.
I think you need to be more clear in what you are saying. It's no wonder people are confused, you've now told me twice that if I get 4 hit's I get to move on but also that I need 5 to move on. Not that I'll likely ever make it to one of your matches

From what I can gather target #1 is at 2147 and you have two 10 round strings of fire and need to make 5 impacts in one of those strings. If you impact the first 5 you could in theory stop shooting.

Target #2 is at 2600 and you get 3 sighters followed by 10 for record and you need to make 4 impacts there to move on. (according to the first post the first 3 don't count but I'm sure you can decline the sighters before you start shooting)

Target #3 is at 3260. Sounds like 10 rounds straight off the hop need 4 impacts.

If 2 or more people hit the 3260 you set out a 3720 target.

The only way I can gather to win this match in 7 rounds would be if you cold bore T1 and made 5 consecutive hits and no one else advanced to T2. But at that point I'm not sure why you need 2 more?

Sorry for the confusion.
I never said twice you need 5 hits to move on. I said you need 5 hits to qualify for the 3K Match.

Any shooter getting 3 hits during qualifying gets to shoot the match.
If 2 or more shooters get 4 hits or more during a Match we move an additional 500 yards further out and keep shooting.

So you come to a match with a high quality gun load combination.
You sign your paperwork that was submitted online.
You dial in your app for 4200 feet of elevation and 2147 yards and get ready.
Your name is called and you can fire up to 7 rounds if YOU want to.
We run the entire line.
We then call your name and you can shoot up to 3 practice shots again your choice as to if you want any or all.
You go hot for up to 10 rounds but most stop at 3 hits.
You are now qualified to shoot the match with 3 shots fired or some part of 20 shots fired which is all up to the individual shooter..
This process weeds out guns loads and equipment and speeds up the actual match.
We run the line and anyone with 3 or more hits moves on to the actual match.
We call your name and you have 10 shots you are allowed to shoot. 4 hits allows you to move on to 2620 yards.
We run the line.
Any shooter with 4 or more hits gets 3 practice shots if they want them then they go hot for 10 shots if they want them.
This repeats at 500 yard increments until nobody gets 4 hits.
It is possible for a shooter to win every match for an entire season without ever getting 5 hits. That shooter would not be shooting the 3K match because they needed another hit to qualify.
In real world most shooters take a couple shots. And so far nobody has won a match with 7 shots. That is best case scenario.
Most of our second matches of the day almost every shooter skips the first 10 rounds they are allowed and just go hot.
It sounds complicated but it isnt

Attachments

• 20230625_151734.jpg
    20230625_151734.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OK I thought the 3000 yard challenge was the target at 3260, I am now realizing that's another match entirely and you need 5 impacts to qualify for that match. I'm not sure if it's 5/10 at one target or if it's 5 impacts at the entire match to qualify for the "3000 Yard Challenge"

I'm not sure where 3 shots just came from but my guess is these are separate rules you just posted that apply to these qualification matches.
I think I understand now but I can sure see where the confusion is.

I think you need to be more clear in what you are saying. It's no wonder people are confused, you've now told me twice that if I get 4 hit's I get to move on but also that I need 5 to move on. Not that I'll likely ever make it to one of your matches

From what I can gather target #1 is at 2147 and you have two 10 round strings of fire and need to make 5 impacts in one of those strings. If you impact the first 5 you could in theory stop shooting.

Target #2 is at 2600 and you get 3 sighters followed by 10 for record and you need to make 4 impacts there to move on. (according to the first post the first 3 don't count but I'm sure you can decline the sighters before you start shooting)

Target #3 is at 3260. Sounds like 10 rounds straight off the hop need 4 impacts.

If 2 or more people hit the 3260 you set out a 3720 target.

The only way I can gather to win this match in 7 rounds would be if you cold bore T1 and made 5 consecutive hits and no one else advanced to T2. But at that point I'm not sure why you need 2 more?
CJ230's comments substantially relate to URSA's monthly matches, during which shooters can qualify for the 3K.

Actually, you might only need 5 shots to both qual for the 3K and win a monthly match? Really!

First, recall that its the shooter's option as to the max number of shots they take, zero to the max allowed at each "stage" of the competition.

Then...the shooter would need to qualify for the 3K with 3 hits during monthly-match qualification round (no shots taken during practice round and only the 3 needed to qualify for monthly-match's record round)...

Then...2 hits (first 2 shots) during record round AND no other shooter gets more than 1 hit during record round. So the shooter wins the match.

Is that "likely" to happen. Probably not, but it theoretically could.

AND, re your subsequent post, the OP is for the 3K. It includes info on the final 3K qual opportunity, a "simulation" of a monthly match, held the day before.

Reactions: Taylorbok
CJ230's comments substantially relate to URSA's monthly matches, during which shooters can qualify for the 3K.

Actually, you might only need 5 shots to both qual for the 3K and win a monthly match? Really!

First, recall that its the shooter's option as to the max number of shots they take, zero to the max allowed at each "stage" of the competition.

Then...the shooter would need to qualify for the 3K with 3 hits during monthly-match qualification round (no shots taken during practice round and only the 3 needed to qualify for monthly-match's record round)...

Then...2 hits (first 2 shots) during record round AND no other shooter gets more than 1 hit during record round. So the shooter wins the match.

Is that "likely" to happen. Probably not, but it theoretically could.

AND, re your subsequent post, the OP is for the 3K. It includes info on the final 3K qual opportunity, a "simulation" of a monthly match, held the day before.
Ok that definitely clears some things up for me. I wasn't comprehending that it was a separate match with different rules and there is qualification within the qualification match. I see how people get confused about 3, 4 or 5 impacts

Ok that definitely clears some things up for me. I wasn't comprehending that it was a separate match with different rules and there is qualification within the qualification match. I see how people get confused about 3, 4 or 5 impacts
There is no qualification within a qualification match. The Saturday before the 3K is not a match, only a qual for the 3K.

It's actually good to get this kind of stuff out there in case someone not posting shows up for a match.
We had a southwest shooter quit shooting on one of our matches because he thought he had enough hits only to find out he was short one shot.
We have very good shooters who take all 30 shots no matter what just because they love shooting.
I think rickyracer87 who posts here is going to take pictures or video of all 4 gongs so those not familiar with our mountains can see what the real conditions look like.

It's actually good to get this kind of stuff out there in case someone not posting shows up for a match.
We had a southwest shooter quit shooting on one of our matches because he thought he had enough hits only to find out he was short one shot.
We have very good shooters who take all 30 shots no matter what just because they love shooting.
I think rickyracer87 who posts here is going to take pictures or video of all 4 gongs so those not familiar with our mountains can see what the real conditions look like.
Clarification. The shooter CJ230 mentions heard other shooters say he "qualified" (WITHOUT saying for the monthly match). The shooter ass-u-med they meant for the 3K. This was during a regular monthly match, not a qual-only session (which the Sat before the 3K is). When in doubt read closely. The heading is "Final 3K Qualification Opportunity, Saturday, April 20". Nowhere in that section does it say MATCH.

There is no qualification within a qualification match. The Saturday before the 3K is not a match, only a qual for the 3K.
Ok, you don't run a full match that day just the target at 2147 to give people a last chance to qualify for 3000 Yard Challenge and you need 5 impacts for that. But you can qualify at any of your monthly matches, is it 5/10 on one target or 5 during an entire match. Like you could hit 2147 three times and then move to 2600 and get 2 impacts and you are now qualified? Also during the monthly match you only need 4 hits to progress to the next target?

Ya personally I'd shoot the max amount of shots.

I think I've almost got it figured out.

Ok, you don't run a full match that day just the target at 2147 to give people a last chance to qualify for 3000 Yard Challenge and you need 5 impacts for that. But you can qualify at any of your monthly matches, is it 5/10 on one target or 5 during an entire match. Like you could hit 2147 three times and then move to 2600 and get 2 impacts and you are now qualified? Also during the monthly match you only need 4 hits to progress to the next target?

Ya personally I'd shoot the max amount of shots.

I think I've almost got it figured out.
"Qualification: Shooters qualify who, during regular, monthly URSA event qualifications and competitions, from October 15, 2023 through April 14, 2024, score five (5) or more hits in 10 consecutive shots at 2000 or more yards. A final 3K qualification opportunity will be the day before the 3K, Saturday the 20th." So, last shot, or few shots, at the prior distance and the next shot or shots (starting from the first) at the next distance - in total no more than 10 consecutive shots.

Monthly and 3K, you need 4 hits during record round at the prior distance to move to the next distance. That assumes at least one other shooter also shot at least 4 in 10 during the prior record round - need at least 2 competitors for a match, thus no guarantee that qualified shooters will shot at whatever next distance.

So far, have yet to receive questions that were not addressed in the OP (directly or by embedded link). For folks not actually considering shooting this event, please take further questions to PM. Thanks.

So far, have yet to receive questions that were not addressed in the OP (directly or by embedded link). For folks not actually considering shooting this event, please take further questions to PM. Thanks.
You are correct in regards to this event everything is laid out in the OP my confusion stemmed from post #2 where the monthly matches came up and the rules are intertwined a bit but different. Thanks for the clarification. I would like to someday make it to one of these matches my folks have a place in Cali so maybe eventually, I've got it figured out now

Just visit your folks and you can shoot one of my guns.
They are all bench guns but we can set you up prone if that's what you prefer.
If I see a shooter having a hard time qualifying I generally loan them one of my guns so they can shoot the match.