• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report US Armorment M118LR

Re: US Armorment M118LR

i've been wanting to try some of that ammo for YEARS, but the amballistics only sells it by the case.

Just ordered some about a month ago myself so we'll see how it does. I'll post some pictures up with a range report when they come. Just an FYI, like I said I placed my order almost a month ago, they are backordered and are not telling me how bad exactly. Expect to wait 1-3 months for arrival.

Can anyone tell me how this ammo compares to Black Hills? I'm really not into factory ammo, but I need some more high end brass to reload. .308 brass in my area is as scarce and expensive as loaded ammo so I just assume buy some loaded ammo and turn it into once fired brass. Kinda torn between this ammo and the BHA. I may go with the BHA if I don't have to wait, but I was just curious about how these 2 rounds stacked up to each other performance wise.

Thanks for any insight,

-J2T

Ordered a case a few months ago, delivery was quicker than expected. Have not chronoed, but holds tight groups out to 200(farthest Ive shot it). Will be buying more.

i've shot this stuff in a few matches and workshops and its done 'alright' (I'm just a newb so take it w/ a grain of salt). I think its rumored to have a sierra matchking 'like' bullet not sure exactly what that means. I've had a couple boxes come in that that the tips of the bullets are crushed and squished down like it got tossed around in shipment. Also had a few duds out of about 500 rds. These have been shot from a Rem 700P w/ 5R barrel. Groups at 100-200 were alright but not as tight as FGMM 168-175. I just started reloading and i shot up the rest of the American Ballistics M118LR and don't plan on getting any more.

copied from their website:
American Ballistics' 7.62MM M118 LR cartridge utilizing our special 175gr BTHP bullet, has extremely uniform muzzle velocity with excellent standard deviation and ballistic coefficient (.490 BC ). This cartridge is designed specifically to ensure and obtain unsurpassed shooting accuracy and performance at distances of 1000 yds and beyond.

It's OK but you can reload for much better performance.
You can't get it because uncle sam send it to me.

We have hit 10" steel with this stuff out past 1,000 yards. It actually shoots <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> the further you shoot it.

Why would you pay over a $1.00 a round for something you can reload for way less?.( IF you reload).

About this time last year I bought 250 rounds of AB M118LR. What I got was obviously reloaded ammunition. About 40% of the cases were dented ... looking much like those fired in an M60 (perhaps others). Another shooter in SD also bought a batch about the same time... not only did he have dents but he experienced some pressure issues. The first shooter sent his back to AB and got back ammo which was same as he returned. I sent mine back and exchanged it for BH from the dealer I bought it from. He sent many cases he had in stock back to AB and dropped the line.

Others swear by it... my one time experience was not good. AB itself, when contacted, acted totally unconcerned.

Actually you are correct, you may get better groups at 100 yards with 168 grain GMM. Of course you will get much better performance with the ABM at longer ranges which is what it was designed for. It actually performs better the further out it goes instead of deteriorate like GMM. If all you shoot is 100 yard zeros all day what difference does it make?