• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Army's new scopes for the next gen. assault rifle

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I see on YouTube in two "Task & Purpose" videos that Vortex, L3 Harris and Leupold are developing "fire control system" scopes. These scopes for the next gen. 6.8 Whatever cartridge have multiple sensors including station pressure, temperature, laser rangefinder, and firing angle to give a firing solution that is nearly dead-on.

So... basically a scope that puts the Burris Eliminator III scope to shame. IS THIS REALLY TRUE? If so what is known about them at present?

Reactions: rottenruger
Bad Ass looking scope , will they offer it to the civilian market though.

sig kilo already lights up a dot in the scope for the shot, just not all built into the scope.

Won't help you or your rifle shoot any better if your running an mrad that at best gets half what an AI gets for group size

It’s made for the NGSW, which is intended to be the replacement for the M4. They don’t care (much) about tight groups (especially at 8x max magnification).

The party piece is the disturbed reticle. Everyone should want one of those!

Maybe they won't, but that technology is already available to us from others
We may get similar tech, but people always want exactly what the army has because airsoft, video games, or its what they used when enlisted. We have access to the wild Horus reticles but we will likely never see Army's newest screen reticle on the civ market.

The steiners work great and are easy to use. No disturbed reticle, you dial to distance.

AND I can use the Steiners when I deploy from my sub at 60 feet!

Thanks, 308pirate!
1615819973586.png

We may get similar tech, but people always want exactly what the army has because airsoft, video games, or its what they used when enlisted. We have access to the wild Horus reticles but we will likely never see Army's newest screen reticle on the civ market.

I get it. I only give a crap about effectiveness. Larping is of no interest.

Reactions: Da Blues
Hi,

Notice the "type" of contract award that was for......

Was/Is for OTA contract which essentially means the Gov funds part of the R&D....BUT in no means obligated to purchase the final product vortex comes up with.

Sincerely,
Theis
(Typically) Who owns and has economic rights to the product of work in such an arrangement?

For some people simple is better, in some instances simple is better. Fast engagements don't provide you with the opportunity to start dorking with buttons and stuff. There are instances where it would have been handy but still not effective (bad guy was using plunging fire from about 2100 meters mountain top) using PKM's. Our mortars eventually fixed the problem but that took a little bit of time.

I wonder how items like that would survive in the Arctic?

Reactions: Zane1844
(Typically) Who owns and has economic rights to the product of work in such an arrangement?
Hi,

It appears in this scenario the Army's PM Soldier Weapons Group "owns" the technology and Vortex is building a car to house it.
BUT I have not dove off into the in's/out's of the agreement.

The "details" of the agreement most definitely will be significantly more length than anyone wants to read in a forum thread for sure, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: camocorvette
If you look at the Trijicon Ventus, the Wind system, they tested the initial system for that in 2007 at Rifles Only with us ...

So it was 12 years from the initial field shooting of a project to something hitting the street, like the Ventus, which is still not really in production.

They do this all the time, it's how certain companies in the past would claim military contracts for scopes everyone knows nobody used. They submit them, let guys play with them, and then claim military use.

Not as bad as it was, but coming out of the 90s you had tons of contract scopes

Reactions: Defuzer
:pFor some people simple is better, in some instances simple is better. Fast engagements don't provide you with the opportunity to start dorking with buttons and stuff. There are instances where it would have been handy but still not effective (bad guy was using plunging fire from about 2100 meters mountain top) using PKM's. Our mortars eventually fixed the problem but that took a little bit of time.

I wonder how items like that would survive in the Arctic?

Ain’t much GWOT in the Arctic. :p

Last edited:
Ain’t much GWOT in the Arctic. :p
No, but we have a few bases and train up there. Coldest I saw in Fairbanks was a few days of -65F. Training in that tends to destroy a lot of things to include my BDE CDR's 4 tires when they froze and he spun the rims in the tires resulting in 4 flats and new tires (he was not happy).

• Wow
Reactions: TheHorta
They put it on a scar to make it seem smaller?
For a 1-8 that thing is yuuuuuge

C9-D37-A2-E-B375-462-B-9515-4-CA022-EF9-EBC.jpg

nope

seems better
m7-a.png

I have the scope that does all of that except range... and for that you just add in a Rafius/SRF/Raptar etc

It’s called the steiner IFS. Great scope. I have one of 3 in the nation of the 1-8 variant... apparently not much interest for a $6200 LPVO so they aren’t importing them..
I’ll post pics later ..

Isn’t the ranging the biggest factor in the ballistic solution?

They put it on a scar to make it seem smaller?
For a 1-8 that thing is yuuuuuge

C9-D37-A2-E-B375-462-B-9515-4-CA022-EF9-EBC.jpg

nope

seems better
m7-a.png

It isn’t too objectionable as a 1-8 and a mount and a laser. and if they were smart it would have the nv laser,illum in there too.

I heard it used unicorn tears
What do you think unicorn tears are when they dry? The Manhattan project was an elaborate ruse to genocide the final unicorns for their tear ducts.

When we need to make new weapons we just clone a few more. Then fatten them up and murder them.

The Russians never figured this out. But I won’t tell the joke I was going to about them, and seeing the jokes I do tell...it was a doozy.

What do you think unicorn tears are when they dry? The Manhattan project was an elaborate ruse to genocide the final unicorns for their tear ducts.

When we need to make new weapons we just clone a few more. Then fatten them up and murder them.

The Russians never figured this out. But I won’t tell the joke I was going to about them, and seeing the jokes I do tell...it was a doozy.
Seriously, dude? This is going to be the next meme in the Bear Pit from the guy who thought Delta Force captured the head of the CIA.

Seriously, dude? This is going to be the next meme in the Bear Pit from the guy who thought Delta Force captured the head of the CIA.
Q was already letting this secret out.

Computer geeks from Los Alamos rode into his compound to kill him to keep the secret, but their unicorns revolted and ass raped all the guys from LANL to death. As they do. The horn was a warning.

2000 years ago they were called “rape-horses.”.

Dyson worked on this project too and realized that severed Unicorn horns made the best vacuum cleaner ever. Plastic copies were made and enlarged for home use.