• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US. Gov. Parasitic efficiency

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    I talked to her today . She say's .. " Hey look at this that I got in mail from Social Security this week ".

. Short story . She was a young child . Her mother died when she was 12 years old . Then her father dies when she was 15 years old . So the US.Social Security administration kicks her 168-$ a month till she out of school .
    Now get this ... ( 53 years latter ) .. this week in year 2020 . She gets letter from SS. Admin. stating she was over paid by $-900+ dollars. If she does not pay in 30 days, she will garnished the amount from her monthly SS. check she is now receiving.
    She called SS. Admin. and her Government is now working out a payment plan for her , or possibly getting this resolved and just dropped.

So if my math is right (give or take) she collected about $6-8k ....Why cry about it??? Make the payments, settle up, move on. $900 is chump change to owe them unless you really want to fight it.

So if my math is right (give or take) she collected about $6-8k ....Why cry about it??? Make the payments, settle up, move on. $900 is chump change to owe them unless you really want to fight it.
    -
    Not chump change to a elderly, single, retired woman who counts the pennies to survive .
    And are you shitting me ? Who in there 'right minds' hires and pays a full staff to review cases 50+ years in the past, to dig and crunch numbers, to only find minute errors of over payment, and then back charge the customer with a bill with penalties ?

The obvious answer is the US GOV but I'm sure you aren't really asking a question.
    I think you need an attorney.

Only $900? I think you're forgetting all the interest on the money.

Back when I first got out of school and tried to do my own taxes I put some income in the wrong boxes on the form. I wasn't trying to cheat - I just thought thats where it went on the form. Anyway, couple years later I got a letter from the IRS saying I not only owed the amount due but interest on top of that. Isn't that a bitch? I have no problem paying what I owed - it was simple mistake. But interest when I didn't know anything was wrong?

And those guys really have no sense of humor

Interest is what you could have collected as well by being in receipt of the monies they are seeking. Maybe you bought into Apple with that money only to sit on the stocks making you worth $10 million. Is it not right to pay back the lost interest the GOV could have earned by not paying you???

The problem is the courts have already said they can collect (insert whatever here) by past rulings. Good luck.

-
    Not chump change to a elderly, single, retired woman who counts the pennies to survive .
    And are you shitting me ? Who in there 'right minds' hires and pays a full staff to review cases 50+ years in the past, to dig and crunch numbers, to only find minute errors of over payment, and then back charge the customer with a bill with penalties ?
    social security is going bankrupt and no one can tell you why a program that is continually fed by taxpayers is going bankrupt when welfare and food stamps are not.

Yes the Fed is totally fucked. But as the old saying goes..... you can't fight the government.

Well....you can fight the GOV, it's a matter of how much are you willing to spend to win?

It had a similar heartburn with student loans in grad school. Was solo income (wife and infant as well) making about 15k a year so we supplemented with student loans. i got about 3k per semester.

1 days I got a call into the school loan office and they had misstated how much i could borrow after they gave me the money and I had a 3k check due in 7 days or i would be suspended from school. Mind you I had to budget 4-5 months out as that big check only came 3 times a year.

No recourse. No payment schedule. Pay in full. no exceptions

One of the few times I have ever lost my cool in public and started yelling and swearing at people.

That is the face of a giant bureaucracy and cemeted my small govt views. For 3k i had to pay back anyway they would throw me out of school with 7 days notice.

My school calls every year for a donation. I remind them of this story.
    And then make a donation to my undergrad for that very amount because they actually gave a shit about my well being.
    I won't mention any school names but at the same time they employed Larry Nassar as well.

I hope you find the nastiest lawyer possible to give some of those bureaucrats several very bad days.

Is it not right to pay back the lost interest the GOV could have earned by not paying you???

I'm really hoping you are joking and are not actually that much of a joyously dropping to your knees to "service" the government type...

The government earns NO interest at all because they spend more than they make every year.

In this case the government decides that they paid you too much benefits ages ago when you were a child, well fine if they really want that back we'll see about it & work something out.
    But to try to claim interest and penalties should be something that they get their heads put on pikes for trying to do...

The SS administration is actually really truly evil about trying to claim kids got money (even if they never saw it and someone else got it instead) and coming after them like many decades later and stealing their tax returns etc to garnish money & interest and penalties, sometimes for money that they never saw but was used up by some guardian it was paid to or some body else they never were involved with.

There is a reason the 3 faiths that came from Abraham all had interest as totally illegal till the lawyers figured out cute work arounds.
    There is also a reason the laws of Moses specifically had regular complete cancellation of all debts.

Reactions: johnnycat
    -
    The math looks as if she just turned 65 and started collecting Social Security--that is likely why it came up now. The 18% (?) interest is disgraceful.

Reactions: BLEE
    social security is going bankrupt and no one can tell you why a program that is continually fed by taxpayers is going bankrupt when welfare and food stamps are not.

Yes the Fed is totally fucked. But as the old saying goes..... you can't fight the government.
    Social Security is going bankrupt because it is self-funded--and underfunded. Welfare and Food Stamps can never go bankrupt--they are entitlement programs (if you qualify then you are entitled to them) and required to be fully paid (out of taxes if you think that taxes pay for government spending or government "printing" if you understand sovereign fiat--taxes merely pull money out of circulation to prevent an excess causing inflation [more properly, devaluation]).

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    Social Security is going bankrupt because it is self-funded--and underfunded. Welfare and Food Stamps can never go bankrupt--they are entitlement programs (if you qualify then you are entitled to them) and required to be fully paid (out of taxes if you think that taxes pay for government spending or government "printing" if you understand sovereign fiat--taxes merely pull money out of circulation to prevent an excess causing inflation [more properly, devaluation]).

According to the Supreme Court, Social Security is pretty much an at will entitlement program.
    You pay the taxes and then if the government likes, you get paid back at retirement, right till the government decides it needs the money for something else.
    It's a giant pyramid scheme. They have no money all the money is gone, all they have is IOUs from the same government that spent all the tax money that the payroll tax brought in.

Remember citizen, if you underpay your witholding for taxes of a year, the IRS gets to collect penalties and interest. If you overpay, you get the amount owed only.

You don't even get a bill.

Seems legit.

For the damn mafia.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I talked to her today . She say's .. " Hey look at this that I got in mail from Social Security this week ".

. Short story . She was a young child . Her mother died when she was 12 years old . Then her father dies when she was 15 years old . So the US.Social Security administration kicks her 168-$ a month till she out of school .
    Now get this ... ( 53 years latter ) .. this week in year 2020 . She gets letter from SS. Admin. stating she was over paid by $-900+ dollars. If she does not pay in 30 days, she will garnished the amount from her monthly SS. check she is now receiving.
    She called SS. Admin. and her Government is now working out a payment plan for her , or possibly getting this resolved and just dropped.

Are you 100% sure this was actually from the social security administration?

It sounds incredibly unlikely. I don't deal with the SSA, but I deal with the IRS regularly and every year clients send me dozens of letters from scammers that make it LOOK like they're the IRS demanding payment.

Did you search the number and the call the SSA directly? As in, not on the number printed on the notice? I'd be floored if this was legit.

On a related note... if you ever set up an LLC or corp and you get a notice that you need to buy labor law posters, that's also a wildly profitable scam. The posters are available for free online. That's a private company sending those notices and just about every business gets at least one of those.

Reactions: DocRDS
    if the Govt tells me i owe them $900 from 5 decades ago, they are going to get dick picks mailed to them weekly until they get the hint.

Remember citizen, if you underpay your witholding for taxes of a year, the IRS gets to collect penalties and interest. If you overpay, you get the amount owed only.

You don't even get a bill.

Seems legit.

For the damn mafia.

And if you figure out that you could have actually gotten more money back in your tax refund, you can only go back a few years.
    But if they figure out that they could get more taxes out of you, they have like 10+ years to go after you on a filing or like forever without one.

if the Govt tells me i owe them $900 from 5 decades ago, they are going to get dick picks mailed to them weekly until they get the hint.

The favourite tactic of the SSA (Evil bastards) is to simply seize your complete tax refund even if it is far more than what they claim you owe.
    Then they just are like... tough try getting your part back, HA!

It sounds incredibly unlikely.

I hate to break it to you, but it most likely IS the SSA.
    They are downright evil about stealing money especially from people who were children when some money was given because they make easy targets.

If you want to get your blood boiling just do a little searching:

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

In some cases the children were actually neglected and abused and removed by the state and then years later the vile SSA is trying to steal money from them instead of going after the drug addicts they sent the money too.

This is truly feudal style enslaving of children over what their ancestors supposedly owed the lords and nobles.

Once again, the more you read and research on how evil our government is, the more you despise the stupid sheep who let the evil grow.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    I hate to break it to you, but it most likely IS the SSA.
    They are downright evil about stealing money especially from people who were children when some money was given because they make easy targets.

If you want to get your blood boiling just do a little searching:

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

In some cases the children were actually neglected and abused and removed by the state and then years later the vile SSA is trying to steal money from them instead of going after the drug addicts they sent the money too.

This is truly feudal style enslaving of children over what their ancestors supposedly owed the lords and nobles.

Once again, the more you read and research on how evil our government is, the more you despise the stupid sheep who let the evil grow.

Good lord. You're right. It's all outlined here on the ssa website.

https://oig.ssa.gov/sites/default/files/audit/full/pdf/A-04-16-50110.pdf

Apparently they've been aware of the overpayment for the better part of the last century and have previously reached out at some point 50 years ago to the representative payee to make them aware. That's why the statute of limitations doesn't apply.

Guess money's tight and they're digging through the couch cushions for change....

It's legit, I was in the same boat when my mother passed away when I was young. It's a form of survivor benefit for school aged surviving children, and your eligible up to 25-years old if going to college. I had to pay back three months plus worth of benefits, because I was continuing to get the benefit after I graduated from High School, but decided to join the military instead of going to college. It took them almost 4-years to figure it out, and I had to pay them back in monthly installments.

Last edited:
    Reactions: vinniedelpino
    So just to make sure I understand you correctly. Her mother died when she was 12, her father passed when she was 15, meaning both her parents paid in for years and never got a dime back except a token Thank You Very Much check to the orphan for a couple years that barely made a dent in providing for her support?

Bloodsucking vampires is what they are. Stealing from orphans? Really? They are incapable of shame or even a shred of decency.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth at their Judgement Day will be epic.

• Love
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Get a lawyer. Or are you just going to pay up??

LMAO......Get on your knees........Cause she's going to pay up.

Sounds like a GGWG project. You start I’ll be the first to donate

Only $900? I think you're forgetting all the interest on the money.

Back when I first got out of school and tried to do my own taxes I put some income in the wrong boxes on the form. I wasn't trying to cheat - I just thought thats where it went on the form. Anyway, couple years later I got a letter from the IRS saying I not only owed the amount due but interest on top of that. Isn't that a bitch? I have no problem paying what I owed - it was simple mistake. But interest when I didn't know anything was wrong?

And those guys really have no sense of humor
    It is a well known fact that government agents / agencies have there sense of humor surgically remover before they are hired.

This isn't the side of the house that I play in but here goes:

1. Have your friend check with her city government to locate their senior citizen services department. They will have lists of community organizations that provide services to seniors. Usually there are at least a few legal clinics a month that a senior can attend to talk to a lawyers that provide pro-bono services. At the very least this will give her leads on where she can find more help.
    2. Check with her church. There is a good chance they can steer her to the right place and if she is really lucky she might find a lawyer in the congregation that might be willing to help for free.
    3. Find out if there are any law schools local to her. Contact them and ask about if they or their students provide community assistance. Many schools have such programs as they gain the students real world experience and help the community by providing free legal services to those that can't afford them.
    4. Contact her local congressional representative. She's a very sympathetic case and might get lucky.

Reactions: HeavyAssault