• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US M24 SWS clone build/rebuild ?s

Kahuna

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
NJ, USA
OK guys, I'm a newbie that could really use some help here, so here goes. I recently purchased an M24 clone here on the Hide. I'm new to boltguns and precision shooting in general, but I am also a US military collctor so I really liked the idea of getting an M24. The rifle is great, the only problem is that this particular rifle was built as a .300 WM, not as a .308.

So as much as I like the rifle, after taking it out a couple times it's clear to me that as a new precision shooter I really should have started out with a .308. Add to that the fact that .300 WM isn't correct for a M24 anyway (although it might be in the next 2-3 years!), it got me thinking...

So here's my question: given that the gun is a dead-nuts M24 clone in every way except caliber (US .mil marked Rem receiver, .mil issue Leupy scope, Badger MARS rail, Badger rings, issue HS M24 stock, even issue coffin case) and I'd really like to keep it, what would be involved to convert it to a more proper .308 clone build? Would I only have to swap the barrel and bolt? Anyone know where I could find the proper Rock barrel and bolt, and what the exact barrel specs are (there seem to be some different bbl. lengths)?

Any other ideas or considerations? Maybe I could get lucky and trade the existing barrel and bolt toward the new parts (the .300 WM Rock barrel came from PAI/APA and has less than 150 rds thru it)?

Thanks for the help and suggestions here.

K

Re: US M24 SWS clone build/rebuild ?s

I may be wrong, but I think the M24 uses an Obermeyer barrel. You would need to change the bolt face to a standard bolt face. Best way to do that would be to get a PT&G bolt made to factory specs (.702 or .703 diameter most likely) and have a competent smith mill the back of the lugs to the correct length and have a Remington handle attached by Dans40x or SSG

You aren't that wrong! Originally they used Mike Rock barrels and since have switched to in house 5R's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't that wrong! Originally they used Mike Rock barrels and since have switched to in house 5R's. </div></div>

Exactly. Remington bought the equipment required to make their own 5R barrels years ago after having some issues with the original contractor supplied barrels (as the story goes).

But if it were mine had the correctly marked action then I would opt to get a new bolt and barrel. Keep the bolt and barrel that is currently on it and have the builder set it up as a switch-barrel combo allowing you the option to swap out in the future if required.

just my optinion which usually isn't worth .02¢

M-24 was set-up to be a 308. The army went with the long action because they wanted to eventually convert them to 300 Win Mag. This would be able to be done since it was a long action. Some were. As for the barrel, the first ones we were issued had the rock barrels. Later they went the REM 5R barrel.

Now on what you want to do, I would contact GA Precision and ask them about rebarrelling your rifle in 308 with a Rock barrel. They know the barrel contour for the M24. Also you could make it a switch barrel as was posted. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've not heard of a "switch barrel" rifle but I will explore that with GAP.

Also, what is the bbl length of the last M24s? If I want an accurate bbl clone for currently-fielded M24s, did the bbls get shorter over time? And are they threading the bbls and using muzzle devices now?

SFCC, is it your sense that .mil has issued some M24s in 300 WM? I've heard guys who should know argue both sides of it : some guys say we have issued some M24s in 300 WM and others say that all the 300 WM guns were MK 13s? If its an opsec issue feel free to PM me.