• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US made SUV vs foreign SUV comparison?

WPG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2002
USA
US made SUV vs foreign SUV comparisons.

Nissan, Toyota vs Chevy, Ford.

Your thoughts?

Re: US made SUV vs foreign SUV comparison?

They're all made to break these days, at some point.........

What do you want to know? Two are made to tow and fit BIG people comfortably and two get good gas mileage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you want to know? Two are made to tow and fit BIG people comfortably and two get good gas mileage.</div></div>

HA HA HA! This right here pretty much sums it up! ^^

Personal experience from 'Hide owners. Specifically about Xterra, Rav4, vs Escape, Equinox.
Anyone?

Escape is loud imho.

I would look at the Xterra, Pathfinder, Highlander or 4Runner if I was in the market. I guess Rav4 too if you have to go that small. Wouldn't buy a GM product and wasn't overly impressed by the Escape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personal experience from 'Hide owners. Specifically about Xterra, Rav4, vs Escape, Equinox.
Anyone? </div></div>
Yuk
Yuk
Yuk
Yuk

Why not look at Honda Pilot and Ford Edge.
My company car is a Chevy Traverse. This is my second one and they have been pretty nice so far. Yes, I hate GM too but it's free.

Honda Pilot is awesome!

I have an Equinox (work car) that's got over 110K on it. It's the four cylinder, I get about 24 mpg on the highway. It's a pig that can't get out of its own way but will cruise once it gets there. It's not very comfortable to be honest, but it does have a decent amount of room. The stereo system is not that bad.

I bought a 2002 XTerra for my wife, back in 02...

She's been a stay at home mom and not done any mud bogging, jumping over ravines or other exciting shit. It's got just over 26,000 miles on it! The guys at the dealership laugh when she brings it in for oil changes!

I had her ask them to look at the brakes and they said, "Lady, the brakes look brand new! Do you ever drive this thing?"

We'll be giving it to our youngest daughter when she goes to college next year and get something else for Mrs. Q not to drive very much...

Only problem I have had with it was the head liner started to separate so we got that replaced. It's been a very good and dependable light truck.

Check out JD Powers. You can look up previous years.

I had a 97 Cherokee that was an absolute workhorse. I drove it literally until the wheels fell off.

Living in suburban DC, my wife and I have been able to make it on one car, a Rav4. I talk mad shit about that car until I got into Snowmaggedon last February. I drove that thing through ungodly weather, and despite all the accidents and snow mounds, it still got me home that night (after an 8 hour commute). I've been eating crow ever since.

Got a 99 4 runner sport with over 300K on it and so i bought the same thing in an 02. I can't imagine buying anything else. I also have a Chevy Truck, GMC Yukon and the 99 4 Runner will get 19-20mpg the 02 will get 14-16 and the Chevy Truck and GMC Yukon get much less.

You will have to be more specific on what you want one for, cause just sayin compare them aint apples to apples. Do you want to off road it, tow with it, load it full and take trips with it, how long do you want it to last? A toyota will keep goin with very little maintence (tires 40-50K, front brakes every 25-40k, a battery every 3-4 years, a water pump and timing chain at 150-165K).

I am looking for feedback on those types. My wife is looking to get rid of her Honda CRV. I am leaning toward the Xterra. No real off road stuff, some possible light camping trips. Something
dependable at a good value.

I'd suggest looking into the Honda Element, they are a bit boxy but the 4x4 versions are very stable & have some good getup and go while also having a ton of room to carry stuff & you can daily drive it & get good gas mileage.

We got my mom a Honda CR-V and it's really a nice little car thingy. I'm 6'2" and I can ride in the front or back and ride comfortably.

Wife has 2010 Xterra 4wd manual. She has put 28k trouble free miles on it. For 21k new it was a good buy. For towing I would go American.

The only two that interest me are the older Toyota 4Runners and Jeep Cherokees. Lot's of aftermarket stuff. To me, the best way to judge is get behind one going down the road and see how much clearance there is. That is, if you get off the main roads.

I have actually had pretty good luck with GMC SUVs the last few years. 99 Jimmy (ok), 03 Yukon (good) 07 Denali (great). A friend of mine bought an Acadia Denali and loves it. Just something to consider.

Here's my two cents on Toyota:

I've owned Toyota's (4Runner, Corolla) in the past and can say I've been more that satisfied with them. The problem I have now is that Toyota was previously known for being affordable and dependable. Well with the recent recalls, I think we can all agree that Toyota's dependability has slipped quite a bit. And as far as affordability goes, that's pretty much non-existent if you ask me. Their prices are outrageous. They say their cars are more expensive because of the high resale value. I don't give a shit about resale value. I don't buy a car for the purpose of selling it.

I was pricing trucks recently (used of course because I'm not stupid enough to buy new at this time) and a 2010 Tundra was about the same price as a 2010 one ton Dodge Cummins Diesel. I don't know about you, but even though diesel prices are sky high, I'd get a lot more use out of the Dodge. Again, just my two cents.

I drive a Tacoma, but if I had a family it would be a 4Runner. Awesome vehicles, that fit 'normal' sized people, and get great fuel economy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I have now is that Toyota was previously known for being affordable and dependable. Well with the recent recalls, I think we can all agree that Toyota's dependability has slipped quite a bit.</div></div>

Should have continued using Jap parts.

Off Road, in same price range, Toy FJ-1 has no equal.

I love my 03 Pilot. Have almost 160k miles on it and still going strong.

Just traded in a Saturn Vue, nice crossover ran great and had a Honda engine and drive-train, for a Hyundai Santa Fe that was made in Georgia at the Kia plant. Very confusing.

For what it's worth I really like my 2010 Rav-4 V6. It gets good gas mileage at 23 mpg althought I must admit almost all highway driving. With the V6 and something like 280 hp. it will run if needed and the 4WD works well from my expierence.

I must say that the interior is cheap as hell even with the loaded "limited" package but I would still buy the same thing again. The amount of cargo room that is available with the rear seats folded down is immpresive as well.

Best friend has a Ford Escape with comparable setup and I like the Rav4 hands down......of corse I'm slightly biased.

After two years and 22K miles I have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personal experience from 'Hide owners. Specifically about Xterra, Rav4, vs Escape, Equinox.
Anyone? </div></div>

I would get a crv before a rav4 and escape. personally it's much more comfortable, nicer interior has a nicer interior and honda quality that hasn't slipped like toyota's. The escapes are nice vehicles just feel extremely cheap inside. with that said we went with an Acura RDX over all of them. Parents chose a loaded CRv and it is nice.
smile.gif

can't believe people still buy chevy's after they gladly took all of our money and then have constantly lie'd about paying back all of their government loan money

My gf had an Xterra it while it didnt have many serious mechanical issues it wasnt anywhere near my 4 Runner. I compared every mid sized SUV when I got my first one and it was the best imo. So after a short lived sports car phase I got another almost exactly like my first one. 4 Runners are made in Japan at the Tihara plant. I have the 4th Gen V8 which has the AWD powertrain from the GX470. Smooth, quiet, decent enough power to tow. I get between 19-20 calculated mpg which is decent I think.

Hyundai Veracruz = POS

2011 Dodge Durango Nice ride.Dodge really stepped up their game from the old model

My Tacoma 1997 was made here and I sold it with 200K plus. I new Tundra has 50K its an 2005 and never a issue with either. Breaks and tune ups thats all. I just bought a Dodge Challenger and it only has 8k but Im worried I know how Dodge can be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean the American made Toyota and Nissan VS the Mexican and Canadian made Ford and Chevy? </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a toy truck. If you need a truck, buy one. Otherwise, get yourself an AWD car or something. Trucks are heavy and gas hogs, even smaller ones. If you don't need to tow something or need the cargo room of a pickup box, unibody saves weight and adds MPG, as much as it pains me to say it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xterras, according to my friends that have them, get awful mileage for a small SUV. Like 13-14 mpg.

1911fan </div></div>

It's that bad? I have a 2010 Wrangler JK 4 door 16-19 mpg