• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

us model 40x 22lr

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
What the going price on a rem 40x us model 22lr. I have a chance to buy one if i can come up with the cash. Its a nice rifle that has been beaded and has a rifle basix trigger that brakes around 14oz. is this common or was the beading done elsewhere? I hope i can come to an agreement with the gentleman that has the rifle. How well do these rifles normally shoot with the factory barrel? Any info would be great!!

Re: us model 40x 22lr

The bedding most likely was done afterwards. The rifle Basix trigger is also after market. It really depends on the condition of the rifle and what has been done to it. You can see the posts from Don that the 40x shoots ! I believe Alabama shooter also has one that shoots, and these are with the factory barrel.

The prices keep going up on the 40x 22lr, and they get harder and harder to find. GB has some crazy prices on some old ones every now and then, $1200-$1800.

Padron is right the one that I have has the factory heavy barrel and it flat out shoots. I stretched it out to 100yds a week or two ago, and shot a 6 shot group that was no more than a half inch across. Albeit with a very light wind that day.

I would love to have one but the price is a bit hard to justify for.

They can get pricey. They are loved by a variety of shooters for different reasons. Rimfire benchrest shooters love it because it has great ignition and when it is trued, it is one of the best rimfire actions out there. The better custom rimfire actions are in the $1,000 range, so a 40x at $500 - $700 can be a deal with a little working.

For the tactical guys, the 40x is great as a trainer because it will drop into a 700 footprint, which means it will fit pretty much any stock out there without inletting issues. If you use an Anschutz action, for instance, none of the McMillan tactical stocks will work. You are limited to a handful of varmint guns and Anschutz replacements. Also, even without work, the 40x is inherently a pretty accurate 22LR action.

As for disadvantages... it is only available in single shot. There were around 700 or so repeaters made and they fetch about $3,000 in the open market. If I were to get one, I couldn't afford to drop it into another stock... and if I did, I would probably end up needing to the stock custom-inletted for the mag. And then the price... these are pricey for what they are... old 22LR's. They are expensive because so many types of shooters want them... supply and demand.

Stiller has been working on a custom action that will be a clone of the 40x it will sell for around $700 and you will be able to get a repeater. I can't wait for them to come out with it... that will basically give the best of both worlds in a tactical trainer. I do wonder if you will be able to just drop it in most stocks. It depends on what he does with the mag situation.