• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US optic spec input please!

Sandbogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
Nor Calif.
After much deliberation I have decided to forgo Night Force and do a USO. The rifle will be a lightweight 308 used for hunting, night shoots and the ocasional 1760 yard plinking.

It must have close to 100moa, sit low on the rifle(low rings)
have paralax adjustment(sorry Night force2.5-10!), Illuminated reticle, MOA reticle, preferably goes to 1000 yds in one Revolution (or few as possible), great repeatability, and decent glass.

Here is what I speced:
Us Optics
1.8-10
37 mm ergo adj. objective
MOA type one scale
Ereck 1/2 moa (45 per rev?)
M40 1/2 moa
Illuminated green reticle

*one thing I do not like on the USO is the FFP reticle, I feel it might not be so good for low power lowlight hunting(almost makes me want to go with a fixed 10x).

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly apreciated.This is new territory for me because I am Nightforce guy and if the 2.5-10 was paralaxx adjustable it would likely be my choice.

Thanks, Sandbogg.

(currently the rifle wears a 3.5-15 50mm NF NXS Zerostop NPR1, I really like it but it sits up to high and the npr1 is not so good in low light hunting situatiuons.)

Re: US optic spec input please!

Sandbogg,

My thoughts are:

1) Lightweight 308, and 24oz+ of US Optics Scope, kind of defeats the lightweight part of the equation. 19oz of Nightforce is a better fit, IMHO.

2) 1760 YD Plinking with a 308 Winny???? Surely you jest.

3) Exactly what do you think having parallax adjustment on a scope of 10x or less is going to buy you for hunting with a 308???? For scope powers over 12x and for small game under 50 yds, yes parallax adjust is worth while, not so much for tactical, hunting, or low light shooting at largish targets. In short lack of parallax adjustment will not matter a hoot, with the scope powers your contemplating.

4) None of the above should deter you from buying what you like, for whatever use you see fit. However, my comments were to address the discordance I noted between wants, needs and uses.

Best of luck,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After much deliberation I have decided to forgo Night Force and do a USO. The rifle will be a lightweight 308 used for hunting, night shoots and the ocasional 1760 yard plinking.

It must have close to 100moa, sit low on the rifle(low rings)
have paralax adjustment(sorry Night force2.5-10!), Illuminated reticle, MOA reticle, preferably goes to 1000 yds in one Revolution (or few as possible), great repeatability, and decent glass.

Here is what I specced:
Us Optics
1.8-10
37 mm ergo adj. objective
MOA type one scale
Ereck 1/2 moa (45 per rev?)
M40 1/2 moa
Illuminated green reticle

*one thing I do not like on the USO is the FFP reticle, I feel it might not be so good for low power lowlight hunting(almost makes me want to go with a fixed 10x).

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly apreciated.This is new territory for me because I am Nightforce guy and if the 2.5-10 was paralaxx adjustable it would likely be my choice.

Thanks, Sandbogg.

(currently the rifle wears a 3.5-15 50mm NF NXS Zerostop NPR1, I really like it but it sits up to high and the npr1 is not so good in low light hunting situatiuons.) </div></div>

IMO, I don't know that you need parallax for a hunting scope. As far as the FFP goes, I really wouldn't worry about it. USO puts a lot of thought into their reticles to ensure they are useable in all power ranges. You may not be able to identify the sub-tensions at 3x, but that shouldn't be a big concern anyway since at that zoom you would likely not have to do any holds anyway. You will however, be able to actually use and see the crosshairs. Especially factoring the illumination. Also, as mentioned above, the USO's are not light weight. But if you're okay with that then more power to you! When I get my hunting bolt gun, the SN-3 1.8-10 will likely be the route I go... But I'm obsessed with USO

As to a mile, no I am not in jest. It is 100 moa drop to a mile . We shoot ELR quite a bit for fun and the 308 will get there, it just takes it about 3 seconds. Yes, I am building a jack of all trades and my current optic is a 3.5-15 nxs which is no light weight. The rifle is light enough to where I dont mind alittle extra fat on the scope.First and foremost it is a precision rifle. Perhaps I should try the 2.5-10, but I have a feeling I would be ordering the USO down the road and would much prefer to buy once and cry once.

I put a USO 1.8-10 44 on my lightweight hunting rifle. 8oz wouldn't deter me from buying a USO and is worth the features I want in my scope. Opinions vary.

I have an ST-10 on my POF .308 and I would rather have the variable on my hunting gun.

If you don't like FFP then don't get a USO.

If you can get over that hurdle, the only other thing I suggest you change about your spec is go with a US #1 SLIMLINE windage knob with both the standard (coverable) and M40 type knob. It takes a good 3/8" off the width of the scope yet is still 100% as functional as the standard #1.

Their configurator will not allow you to do this but they can for sure build it this way for you.

3.8-22X58 Ergo will keep you an exit pupil of 2+mm on the high end and will be better suited for long range stuff than the 37mm.
I have a 5-25 T-Pal on my 7-08 and its not much heavier that a 3.2-17 SN3....Get a McM Edge or Manners Carbon Fiber stock if you want to save weight.

I'm not a fan of the type 1 moa reticle becuase it does not provide for holding under.

My 58mm Tpal sits in Vtac lows on an EGW 20moa base and cleared and m40 contour barrel (barely) when it was on my 308, by the way.....

You mean like the Mc Millan A5 edge on a 308 TIS Gap rifle with a deeply fluted Rock barrel
wink.gif
?!

Sobrbiker is has esp!

I am trying to set the optics low enough to not have to use a stock pack(thus 37mm). The rifle probably wont see any competitions but will be a real practical rig. Something you dont mind carrying, fits like a glove and is minute of deer to 800 plus. A solid, capable real world optic. Like I said before it had a3-15 nxs NPR1, I am trying to improve on that.At one time I also had a 16x mk4 40mm on it and that was outstanding optic until it got dark!
Is the 3.8-22 much heavier than a 1.8-10?

Probably. Its just your 1760yd aspiration that led me to suggest the big one.

I think the 3.2-17X37 would spec'd fit the bill you have painted nicely. Like I said, they have better moa reticles than the type 1, I'm fond of dialing 500 and holding over/under every once in a while, and the Type 1 has no markings above the center of the crosshair....

I understand the attraction of a do everything rifle, but light weight hunter/one mile rig seems a bit off. IMO you should prioritize one over the other. Since it is a .308, leaning towards the hunter precision route seems the most reasonable.

Also, you are already sporting an optic that fits the bill, with one minor issue. The reticle issue can be fixed for little money. You could spend a lot of money accomplishing very little.

Somebody correct me but is the diameter of a USO 37mm ergo close to a 50mm nsx? I know the 44 is at least as large. Lot of money spent for a few mm's.