• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optics 15-40x Spotter... Opinions and Experience Please...

Stranded Yank

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2012
Good day,

I have spent the past few hours searching this forum and the internet for user experience and opinion on the US Optics 15-40x spotter.

Everyone seems to agree that the scope is very well made... the phrase 'hammer nails' comes up consistently... the price is right... that US Optics customer service is absolutely first class... the size and weight is great... the option list is daunting... but I have not been able to find any solid advice on the optical quality.

In fact... there is the report of excess chromatic aberration and red fringing... and not just from the Opticstalk thread... but even that has not been a consistent quality... there is apparently a Gen-1 and Gen-2... with the field of view being increased on the Gen-2.

I am looking to use this scope at the range from 100m to 1000m plus on mostly paper targets, as well, as a scope to hunt with for deer, goats and etc. I need a reasonably compact and lightweight spotter since I hunt with a pack.

Being in Australia means that I have no chance of actually looking through a USO spotter before purchasing... so honest advice and experience from users of this spotter would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively I an considering a Leupold Mk4 or Gold Ring 12-40x or possibly the new Bushnell 8-40x spotter... but the USO spotter is my first choice... Thanks!

The optical quality on mine is not as good as my 20-60x80 B&L Elite. However, the size, weight, durribility and having the reticle makes it far more suitable for field use. if I'm just wanting to see whats going on when I'm shooting paper I still take my B&L.

Thanks to everyone for the advice...

I found this quote in another thread... Can someone school me on USO spotters? ... by Jason Kyle of USO...

Our field observation scope was designed for tough rugged conditions. It was made with Marines in mind, to be taken out beaten up and have eye relief for use while wearing a gas mask. IMO it should not be compared to other traditional spotting scopes. I think if your looking for a traditional spotter get your money worth out of the cert and get something you can use for your purpose.

I understand and appreciate the design parameters used by USO when building this spotter... but why the spotter does not have the same sterling optical performance of the USO riflescopes baffles me... the spotter by all appearances should be a great performer in the field.

Thanks!