• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics 20 moa Base issue

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I purchased a US Optics Remington 700 Short Action Picatinny Style Base 20 MOA (#992611) for my Rem 700P. I hand tightened the base screws and found that the bolt would not budge. The 4 screws all measured slightly different lengths, so I tried putting the longest screw in the rear base screw hole, then the next, etc. Still locked the bolt. Is this just a case of the wrong screws were shipped or am I missing something?

I have called US Optics and left a message.

Re: US Optics 20 moa Base issue

When I got mine, it came with screws of all the same length, LONG. A Dremel tool with a cutting wheel, and four min later they were cut down to the proper length. It was no big deal, I did deburr the screws and was careful not to booger up the first few threads.

I had to do the same thing with the rear action screw for my Savage when I put it in a McM A5 stock, it froze up the bolt. 20 minutes of grinding, checking, grinding a bit more until it was the proper length was all it took, no big deal really, something that should be planned for as screws run long so they can be cut down for that custom fit. At least thats what I think.

heh heh heh, same thing happened to me. Get a pair of wire strippers with the screw cutters on them. Tap the screw into the forward hole as you move the bolt back and forth. When you feel it rub the screw. Back the screw out, and count the threads left over. The other way is to use a thick wire, close the bolt, and put the wire into the hole and mark it with tape or marker. Cut your screws to length and drive on.
Driving on: scrub the bottom of the base, and top of the receiver where it is COVERED by the base wiht a green pad. Apply BLUE Loctite the the bottom of the screw threads. Apply a bit of JB Weld, or metal bedding onto the base leaving a 1/8" empty ring around the edge. Insure you do not come within 1/4" of the screw holes. Screw it down moving front to back and tighten to 20"# so the bedding squeezes out as the screws are tightened. Remove teh excess bedding, and let it set for 48 hours. Now you are ready to mount your scope's bottom half rings.

Place the scope into the bottom half of the rings, take hold of both erector knobs. Twirl the scope 180* left to right as you look through it. Note that the center of the reticle scribes an arc. Adjust the knobs until the reticle turns on it's centered axis. You have just mechanically zeroed your scope, now insuring that the scope is level to teh base in the rings, place the top half of the rings in place, and tighten moving back and forth to 15"#. This is a skill level I process so if you have questions, ask me. I have done this to my own rifles when I was taught by JBW2(RIP John!), and JBW3

So, the screws are not cut to fit the specific base, as Leupold does? For the money, I did not expect to have to dremel screws to get them to fit.

well when I installed my badger base on the savage I didn't have an issues with the screws for the base, had two different length screws that came with it, not sure how USO works with their bases though.

The 2-piece Leupold Mark 4 bases I put on my other 700 fit with no tinkering on the screws. My 1st experience with USO.

Any time a base is being installed from any manufacturer you should do it with the bolt out and check if they extend through the receiver.

I'd much rather have screws that I had to trim than ones made short that engage less threads, but that's just me.

Nice instructions Switch!

Sbiker, thanks.
Longer screws that need to be trimmed are better because you can get max engagement. My bet is those shorter screws are a compramise in length and not exact as if YOU cut them to fit. Need I say more? Well I will because I am cool like that
grin.gif

Why are you bedding the rail? Because the bedding adds strength to the screws during recoil. If you tried to bed with those factory shorter screws, and not your custom fit screws, you would lose thread count in the engagable area of the receiver. Damn those Holiday Inn Expresses teach a lot
grin.gif

Now quit whining about doing a little DIY and get the stick put together and go shoot. Isn't a great part of DIYing getting things Better than what the Factory offers? Aish!

The DIY'ing is truly part of the fun... I just wish I had been given a heads up about the "one size fits all" screws. My next day off will be spent working on the base. Thanks for the additional info.