• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US OPTICS for 1000 yrd comp?

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I have and use nightforce scopes for 1000 yard competition and was wandering how many of US Optics owners use their scopes for this discipline? Since they are first focal plane, does the cross hairs obscure the target at 1000 yrd.? I would like to try a US Optics scope. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: US OPTICS for 1000 yrd comp?

I've got two USO scopes (a 3.2-17x and a 3.8-22x) and have used them both in competitions out to and past 1000 yards. It would depend on what reticle you choose. I have a GAP reticle in both of mine and it doesn't obscure anything, althought it's a little wide for F-Class. They have a big selection of reticles to choose from so you could get one with thinner cross hairs.

Another +1 for USO at 1000+ I use a USO 5-25 SN3 TPAL with the MPR reticle. I have no problem picking a spot in the X ring to aim at - extreme mirage being the exception. I also had the internal anti-cant added to help make sure I am truly level.

I too recommend the MPR for a mil based setup, and if your partial to moa I believe a look at the RDP moa would be worth your time.

I like both my 3.8-22 and 5-25 for 1K, but my 3.2-17 will work to quarter an Fclass target just fine.
As MGN mentioned the internal ACD level they have rocks!

Thanks for everyones input. I just did not have any experience with first focal plane scopes and have been wanting to try a USO scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for everyones input. I just did not have any experience with first focal plane scopes and have been wanting to try a USO scope. </div></div>

Before you drop that kind of money on it, go to a tactical rifle match and look through some USO scopes, to see if you like the FFP setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have and use nightforce scopes for 1000 yard competition and was wandering how many of US Optics owners use their scopes for this discipline? Since they are first focal plane, does the cross hairs obscure the target at 1000 yrd.? I would like to try a US Optics scope. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

What type of comp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have and use nightforce scopes for 1000 yard competition and was wandering how many of US Optics owners use their scopes for this discipline? Since they are first focal plane, does the cross hairs obscure the target at 1000 yrd.? I would like to try a US Optics scope. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

What type of comp? </div></div>

That the $2000 question. If you are planning to shoot F-class get something with higher magnification and a more target oriented reticle. Look on the line at an F-class event and you'll see SIIIs and NF in 6-32 or 12-42. Yes you can shoot 1000 yds with a 10X mil dot, but it's easier to shoot small when the target looks bigger.

If you are looking to multi purpose your gun or to use it in more tactical type shooting then a USO makes perfect sense. I'd love to get one, I think they are beautiful scopes, but I'm not there yet.

Right now I shoot mostly steel out to 1000yrds and F class style shooting, freindly local 1000yrd comps. I have a nightforce 12-42x56 for this,which is more suited for the type of shooting I do, but was wandering if anyone used a USO scope for this type of shooting.As usual, a lot of info is learned when one steps back and listens to what others have to say. Thanks.