• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optics Foundation 1.8-10x

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
On paper this looks like a winner. I realize they had to make a "course change" to correct issues that I've read about regarding the B Series.

Looking for a "cross over " scope to bounce between my semiautos and hunting rigs. A compact 1.8-10x42 is a nice size/mag range provided it's easy to get behind.

So it looks like they went back to the standard elevation and zero stop from earlier designs. I'm fine with that. Sometimes tooless systems just add complexity and weight.

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding the scope?

~ TP

https://www.eurooptic.com/US-Optics-FDN-10x-18-10x40mm-FFP-GAP-34mm-Riflescope-FDN-10X-GAP.aspx

Reactions: LOS
The zero stop is completely different from the old Brea, CA design.

The scope your asking about is essentially the 1.8-10x version of the FDN17x. It has the same turrets and zero stop, as well as the same reticles and illumination.

There's some info on the turrets and zero stop in this thread.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I have the original version of this optic sitting in the box. Previously known as the MR10. It’s a 1.8-10 power with JNG mil reticle. Here’s a pic of it sitting on my FN PBR rifle. What do you want to know about it?

1617929300852.jpeg

Reactions: LOS and PBWalsh
I really want one but there are too many USO haters out there for me to fork over that much cash

I may be out of the loop, but did all the USO "hate" start with the BX series?

I have the original version of this optic sitting in the box. Previously known as the MR10. It’s a 1.8-10 power with JNG mil reticle. Here’s a pic of it sitting on my FN PBR rifle. What do you want to know about it?

View attachment 7600634
Thanks for replying. Basically interested in knowing is the scope finicky? Is it easy to get behind or does it take some time to find the best eye position. Do the controls feel like quality? And would you recommend that scope to a friend.? Thanks

Anybody know where they get their glass on the 1.8-10? Is it Japanese Glass?

One of these 5 plants. Possibly more than one, at different stages of manufacturing, but these are the locations of their optical glass plants.

To my knowledge, these are the only plants Schott AG has that grind, polish and coat optical quality lenses.

About a year ago I was on the phone with USO gathering info, and Duryea, PA was mentioned regarding main lens components. I'm not sure if the lenses are made there, finished there or just shipped through there though.

Last edited:
One of these 5 plants. Possibly more than one, at different stages of manufacturing, but these are the locations of their optical glass plants.

To my knowledge, these are the only plants Schott AG has that grind, polish and coat optical quality lenses.

About a year ago I was on the phone with USO gathering info, and Duryea, PA was mentioned regarding main lens components. I'm not sure if the lenses are made there, finished there or just shipped through there though.
Very interesting. For the price point they are trying to command I would expect Schott level glass. One of these days I will save up for their higher end stuff. pleased with the 3-12 so far.

Very interesting. For the price point they are trying to command I would expect Schott level glass. One of these days I will save up for their higher end stuff. pleased with the 3-12 so far.

Keep in mind, the manufacturer of the glass is probably one the least important aspects of a rifle scope though.

Just to clarify, I'm not pushing chinese crap, as every dollar spent on it helps pay for the missile that may someday kill you.
But, even the Chinese are plenty capable of very high quality lenses. If they can make spy satellites and guided missiles, then they are are already making high quality optics. Most western companies just don't source high end stuff from China. On the high-end stuff, china loses its comparative advantage, as it's not made by their slave labor class.

The glass, be it from Germany, Japan or wherever, is made to whatever specs the scope maker is willing to pay for. The same way Ford makes both the Fiesta and the King Ranch F350. Schott makes both car windshields, satellite lenses and every level in between.

My FDN17 does seem to have pretty good glass though.

Last edited:
Interesting. I was under the impression that Foundation series scopes were assembled with Schott glass? I’ll visit the USO site ...

Interesting. I was under the impression that Foundation series scopes were assembled with Schott glass? I’ll visit the USO site ...

Yes, they are assembled with glass from Schott AG. I was answering his question as to where, geographically, the glass in the FDN scopes come from.

The link I posted, in post #9 shows the geographic location of Schotts 5 optical glass plants.

I only mentioned the China stuff to point out that who made the glass, and where, just isn't all that important. Even the commies can make spy satellites level lenses. For those willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the manufacturer of the glass is probably one the least important aspects of a rifle scope though.

Just to clarify, I'm not pushing chinese crap, as every dollar spent on it helps pay for the missile that may someday kill you.
But, even the Chinese are plenty capable of very high quality lenses. If they can make spy satellites and guided missiles, then they are are already making high quality optics. Most western companies just don't source high end stuff from China. On the high-end stuff, china loses its comparative advantage, as it's not made by their slave labor class.

The glass, be it from Germany, Japan or wherever, is made to whatever specs the scope maker is willing to pay for. The same way Ford makes both the Fiesta and the King Ranch F350. Schott makes both car windshields, satellite lenses and every level in between.

My FDN17 does seem to have pretty good glass though.
I agree. Tracking seems to be most important to me.

I spoke with USO today.
He specifically told me that the glass was American.

Here's some of the legacy sales and user manual I have.

Attachments

• US Optics 2015catalog.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • USO_TPAL_Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
I spoke with USO today.
He specifically told me that the glass was American.

If you'll recall from my reply in post#9 of this thread, the last paragraph.

Schott AG, Duryea, Pennsylvania.

The Schott AG plant in Duryea, PA was formerly PPG Optical Glass, but was purchased by Schott AG in the 70s. At some point I believe it was renamed "Opthalmic Optical" or something like that. It burned down in a fire, then reopened as a Schott AG plant.

Last edited: