• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optics on rimfire rifles... Over the top? :D

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

Got a USO 3.8x22 coming in a couple of months, but since I don't have a big boys' rifle to mount it on just yet, was thinking about putting it on a Sako Quad 17HMR I should get soon in the mean time... What do you guys think? I've seen a 10/22 with USO mounted on top...
laugh.gif
If you have setups like this, please post pics so I can see if it will be sublime, or rediculous...
smile.gif

Thanks!

Re: US Optics on rimfire rifles... Over the top? :D

Some folk drive a Ferrari to the grocery store, others drive a Yugo. Go for it!

In about two week I´ll have a Annie Biathlon rifle linked with a mark 4 6,5-20 TMR

ower kill, naaaa more like surgical kill.

Best regards Chris

Well I just thought better to mount the USO on a rifle to get them rabbits, rather than chase after them and club them to death with the scope...
laugh.gif

Seems to be working pretty well for Septic Tank:
img_0678.jpg

There are a few other pics of his rifle in this thread.

Re: US Optics on rimfire rifles... Over the top? :

Can never have too good of an optics setup. Needed- no, but helpful, yes. I've got a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 on a .17hmr, and a new sightron siii 6-24 on a .22lr. As I'm sure most guys on here know, once you step up to 'good' optics, It's hard to put something cheap on a rifle, no matter what caliber it is. I say go for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to be working pretty well for Septic Tank:
img_0678.jpg

There are a few other pics of his rifle in this thread. </div></div>

Well, yes and no...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: septic-tank13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

my conclusions??? i'm bringing back a front and rear set of bags next time so i can see what the rifle can do, as we know i'm the weak link. i really expect the groups to shrink a bit, in fact more than a bit... my scope wouldn't focus in at this short range and i had all kinds of trouble getting things prepared for a shot. thus, a scope change is in order. i knew that this might be a poor choice of optics as the USO SN3 is more suited to longer distances, but i had no idea it would be this tough to adjust down to 50 yards...

</div></div>

That's why I like my Falcon, it focuses down to 10m but still behaves like the big boys.

DMCI did this, $3000 scope on a $800 rifle - was pretty accurate so I heard...

This feels redundant, because it's also in the >$2K trainer thread, but this is your exact scope on a 22LR:

Remington_40-XB_AICS.jpg

+1 on FALCON optics @ 10m it focus well ...for the price you can't beat it thats just my 2 cents...

If you want to go for it. I put a nightforce on mine and I like it that's all that matters but I was with the notion use the optic on the deucer learn to use mildots shoot frequently thanks to pricing then swap it to the big boy when I get one.... Well got the big boy but ended up putting a USO tpal with Horus on it and kept the night force on the Lil brother.

Overkill? Yes. Crazy over the top? Sure.

But if you can afford it and it fills your needs....why not?

When I ordered my SN-3 I asked about the closest I could set the parallax to. IIRC Jeff told me it was 50 with the ERGO and 100 with the T-Pal. Since I do indoor dry fire with my big rifle I went with the ERGO (among other reasons). I would think that THAT would be the limiting factor with a SN-3 on a rimfire. If you were shooting a 50' competition you would have problems focusing.

I was actually talking with Jeff about building a custom SN3 that could focus in a range from 200 yards down to 20 feet, specifically for rimfire use. He was going to try and mock something up to get an idea of whether it would be possible -- it would apparently require multiple revolutions on the ERGO.

I think they got super-busy, and I ran low on discretionary cash for such a purchase anyway ... but I plan to eventually get some type of set-up like that for my trainer.

I think they got busy trying to get the MST-100 ready and shipping, along with everything else...
smile.gif

LoneWolfUSMC, I don't know much about scopes and in the past have used so-so scopes to get by. Anyway, just wondering if setting the parallax down to 50 yards would have any ill effects on higher magnifications? Whatever those ill effects may be?

Thanks.

I am sure it would depend on the scope in question. I am far from an optics Guru myself.

I assume that setting it for 50 yards will cause more parallax at 600 than if you set it for 100 or 200 yards. How much more, I don't know. There are probably too many design variables from scope to scope to set a hard and fast rule.

I have a $7.50 Tasco on my 22LR - it's good for a 6" group at 200 yards.....hits 2" targets out to 100 yards.

That's a lot of 308 bullets/powder/primer I can buy with the difference..

I had some dialog with US optics. They said they could make a scope for my 22 but it would be a 10-200 yard scope. having used a rifle scope on my 22 with no adjustable objective, I know I don't really care for them as I shoot stuff close enough to have the parallax bother me. if you are only shooting longer shots, the US Optics should be fine.

My buddy gives me crap about waiting to shoot my .22 until the new trijicon 1-4 comes out. I can't imagine what a USO would do.

I know good glass is as expensive if not more than the rifle but a USO on a rimfire would be ri-cock-ulous

Do it!! :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know good glass is as expensive if not more than the rifle but a USO on a rimfire would be ri-cock-ulous

Do it!! :p </div></div>

You would need to peed at some of the trainers folks have here. What else are you going to put on a Rem 40X with a Bartlein barrel in an AICS 2.0 (well, other than the S&B's and NF's)??

I fell like I'm slumming it with my CZ452V wearing a MK4 16X around some of the shooters here!

As far as parallax goes, the big thing to keep in mind with rimfires is that its worse to shoot inside what the parallax is set for that beyond what the parallax is set for.
Close in parallax adjustment is necessary if one will be shooting close in.

The price of a USO is NOTHING compared to some of the custom benchrest rifles.

Just because you drive a Cavalier doesn't make driving a Corvette rediculous.

Of course you are talking to the guy who just bought a Crossman CenterPoint at WalMart for my MkII. Then again it adjusts down to 5 yards.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a $7.50 Tasco on my 22LR - it's good for a 6" group at 200 yards.....hits 2" targets out to 100 yards.</div></div>

That's great, but can you see the .2" holes at 200 yards with that Tasco?

My favorite thing about the SN3 is that it gives me the ability to leave my Questar at home when I go to the range. As for putting an SN3 on a trainer -- it's all about duplicating the "full size" machine for practice purposes.

I had a Leupold Mk IV 10X once -- it would focus down to 10 feet, no problem. It would be nice to be able to practice in a little indoor range, say, in the basement.