• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics SN-8s 1-8x27mm

JFComfort

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
IMG_3135.jpg

http://www.sincityprecision.com/?p=1238

Since our team has started participating in 3 gun competitions my team mates have been doing research on different products. Similar to our experience with long range precision rifle shooting we have found that many options exist to carter to each individual’s preferences.

After shooting a few local 3 gun matches my team mate Dane was looking to upgrade his fixed power 4x Trijicon ACOG sight. He wanted something that offered true 1x for close shots but also provided ample magnification for longer range shots. His AR-15 not only serves as his 3 gun competition carbine but also pulls double duty as a predator hunting rifle on excursions with Bill. He was looking for something that is tough, rugged and reliable.

During SHOT show 2012 we learned about a new scope US Optics was working on. The scope is the SR-8 1-8x27mm. We had a chance to see a prototype and learned about a few things they were working on before they began producing them. We were excited and very impressed because it offers a great deal of versatility in a small package.

IMG_3132.jpg

The SR-8 has a wide range 8:1 magnification ratio. It begins at a true 1x and ends at 8x. The scope is first focal plane (FFP) which we have become fans of because of our experience with our competition precision rifle scopes. Dane selected the CDMIL reticle which is perfect for this optic. At higher magnification it is used like a traditional rifle scope. The sub tensions are very helpful for holding wind age and elevation. When you dial the magnification down toward 1x you will notice a ring comes into your sight picture. This makes it quick and easy to center the reticle on your target at close range. Dane also selected the blue digital illumination feature to light the reticle.

Dane’s SR-8s has a 30mm main tube and is accompanied by 0.2 mrad elevation and wind age US #1 knobs. The 30mm main tube makes the scope easily compatible with different brands of rings and mounts. The SR-8 has 100 MOA of total travel. The ocular end of the scope features a rapid focus eye piece allowing for fast adjustment of the reticle focus. 27mm objective has a fixed parallax.

After mounting the scope to his AR-15 we noticed the eye relief was easy to pick up and the scope had a good field of view. It is easy to go from 1x to about 4x-5x with one twist of the wrist. A second twist is needed to go all the way to 8x. The CDMIL reticle is excellent at low and high magnification. The low profile US #1 knobs didn’t obstruct our peripheral view while shooting with both eyes open. We also like the protective screw on aluminum caps for both the elevation and wind age knobs.

IMG_3128.jpg

The US Optics SR-8 is great for 3 gun and well suited for hunting. The same attributes that make it well equipped for carbine competitions also allow it to be a great hunting scope. The true 1x is great for those close snap shots in the dense woods and 8x magnification with FFP for the longer shots out in open country. The sleek design is great for both competition and the outdoors. Our team has enjoyed using the SR-8s on Dane’s carbine and look forward to new features and products from US Optics.

Specs:

The SR-8 features first focal plane and has a dual focal plane option. With dual focal plane the optic has red illumination the second focal plane allowing you use the sight like a red dot on any magnification. You can also select between the CD MIL reticle and C2 MIL reticle. Available illumination colors are red, blue and green.

Power- 1-8x
Objective- 27mm
Tube- 30mm
Reticle- CDMIL
Elevation- 0.2 mrad zeroing
Windage- 0.2 mrad zeroing
Illumination Push button, blue
Length- 12 inches
Weight- 1.5 lbs
Eye relief- 3.7 inches
Scope body- Hard anodized 6061 T-6 Aluminum
Field of view- 83.25 feet 1x/100 yards 10.75 feet 8x/100 yards
MSRP $1995.00-$2650.00

USOSN-81x.jpg

USOSN-84x.jpg

USOSN-88x.jpg

Re: US Optics SN-8s 1-8x27mm

Cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please post an update after you have used it for a few months.

Re: US Optics SN-8s 1-8x27mm

Nice write up on an outstanding new piece of gear!
I think the USO 1-8 is a great choice for many applications as JC pointed out. I love my 1.5-6 DFP but if I were to replace it, it would be the 1-8.