• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics turret questions

supernt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
VA & SoCal
I just mounted my new USO ST-10 on my rifle, and have a couple questions. The scope seems to be set up by USO for a 20MOA down base, and centered for windage.

It has EREK 1/4 MOA elevation knob, and US#1 1/4 MOA windage knob.

Question #1: There are 6 hash marks on the scope body where the windage knob is to indicate full turns of the knob. As it came from USO with the windage knob centered, the knob is all the way at the 6th hash mark. if I dial for windage to the right, I do not have any hash marks left for a reference. Is there some way to adjust where the knob is so it is somewhere in the middle of the hash marks? Am I missing something and it is supposed to be like this?

Question #2: My rifle is a Steyr SSG 69 with Steyr rings. There is not a 20MOA down base installed on my rifle. What is the best way to adjust for this?

Thanks for your help.

Re: US Optics turret questions

Follow Skunk's suggestion.

Also, I like to bore-sight mine using just my eye.
Rest the rifle in a stable position with the bolt removed.
Adjust the rifle until you can look through the bore and see an object in the distance. Then without moving the rifle, look through the scope. Keep moving back and forth looking through one then the other....adjusting the scope until it is looking at the same spot as the bore.

When done with care, this will likley get you withing a few inches of a 100 yard zero when you shoot it for the first time.

Of course, there are specific instructions for setting the EREK.
Those should be incorporated into the sight-in process.

Don't worry about problems until you "know" you have one.
Life is much simpler this way.

Rafael,

No problems at all, just a couple questions. Mainly, I wanted to know if there is a way to get the windage knob in the middle of the hash marks so I can have an indication of how many turns out I am from my zero if I dial the knob counterclockwise.

Thanks!

Yes sir, understood.
laugh.gif

As Skunk said, you will likely wind up in the middle on windage.
To answer your question....I don't think there is any way to change where it winds up in relation to the marks, unless you can somehow change your zero by using USO's windage adjustable rings, or correcting some other problem.

I've had a couple of st-10s, and have seen a couple of sn3s, and they all had that problem of lack of hash marks for elevation and windage reference. You are correct when you say that it's currently zeroed for windage, and if you adjust right at all, you'll lose your reference.

On my scope, there's only 6 lines on each turret (both us#1), and you can probably guess where my zero falls; right on line 6 for both turrets. So basically, I end up with no reference at all, other than the numbers on the knobs themselves. It's annoying yes, but you can always just paint your own lines on it.

I did see a picture of a newer one on here that appeared to have fully marked turrets, so maybe they're making them that way now.

I beleive USO will add marks if you send them the scope.
A quick call to them will produce a definitive answer.

John at USO is a great guy, just shoot him a call, he will hook you up.