• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optics vs Vortex Razor

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I am looking to pick up a scope for a 26" 7mm-08 being built on a Deviant action. I've narrowed it down to either a US Optics FDN-17 3.2-17x50 or a Vortex Razor 3-18/4.5-27x. I'm a little partial to US Optics, as I have owned a few over the years, and still have an SN3 3.2-17x that I bought almost 10 yrs ago. First question, how do the newer US Optics compare with the older (California manufactured) scopes?

How would a Razor 3-18 compare with the 3.2-17x USO, and for 1k yard shooting, would the 4.5-27x be a significantly better option?

I would prefer the higher power, I have a Lithgow LA105 in 6.5 and have never not shot it at 27 power between 600 and 900 yards on F class targets.

I think it would be a waste not to have more magnification on a 7mm

I've looked through and played with an older California USO 3.2-17 scope and I own the Razor G2 3-18.

The USO has a narrower field of view, image quiality is lacking, the windage turret doesn't track well, and the reticle was very thick.

In my opinion, the Razor G2 is a superior scope in virtually every aspect compared to that particular USO. I've never used or looked through the new USO scopes so I have nothing to say good or bad about those.

Reactions: Kentucreed6
They’re not in the same ball park. The USO is a far superior scope in almost every way. Not saying the Razor is a bad scope by any means, but the USO out performs it in pretty much every category.

The new USO Foundation scopes are phenomenal. They did this scope right.

I have both and shoot both. The only things you will like better about the Razor is the price and locking turrets if you’re into that.

If you like the old Erek turret from the SN3s, you will love the new Foundation Turret. They improved the design. The scopes also have more elevation than the older models and they are optically improved also. I like my old SN3 too, which I still have.

Reactions: NateSavannah
I am looking to pick up a scope for a 26" 7mm-08 being built on a Deviant action. I've narrowed it down to either a US Optics FDN-17 3.2-17x50 or a Vortex Razor 3-18/4.5-27x. I'm a little partial to US Optics, as I have owned a few over the years, and still have an SN3 3.2-17x that I bought almost 10 yrs ago. First question, how do the newer US Optics compare with the older (California manufactured) scopes?

How would a Razor 3-18 compare with the 3.2-17x USO, and for 1k yard shooting, would the 4.5-27x be a significantly better option?
My opinion take w/ a grain of salt. Ive got a number of high end optics, sb, zco, tangent theta.
to this day, my old USO 3.2-17 is one of my favorites. is it on par w/ what I have now. no. price per pound its hard to beat. Ive also had amazing customer service from them. had a few issues they out right replaced my old scope with a new one, let me customize it how I wanted it. Great customer service is worth its weight in gold. everything can break. and if youre hard enough on it, it will.
Ive never looked thru a vortex I liked. Havent looked thru the one youre talking about but have looked thru quite a few. Dont like the coatings. Dont like the color. Just alot I dont like. or better yet hard to find anything I do like. especially hate the stupid brown color they use on the outside. I might stand alone in this but thought the 1-10 is trash. absolute trash. Also had a razor spotting scope that had such a touchy eyebox it was useless. amongst many other Vortex scopes Ive looked thru. Maybe my eyeball just doesnt like vortex.

Reactions: Poorboyr
They’re not in the same ball park. The USO is a far superior scope in almost every way. Not saying the Razor is a bad scope by any means, but the USO out performs it in pretty much every category.

The new USO Foundation scopes are phenomenal. They did this scope right.

I have both and shoot both. The only things you will like better about the Razor is the price and locking turrets if you’re into that.

If you like the old Erek turret from the SN3s, you will love the new Foundation Turret. They improved the design. The scopes also have more elevation than the older models and they are optically improved also. I like my old SN3 too, which I still have.
I know the OP asked about the comparison between the USOptics and the Razor, so he started the comparison.

However, the Razor and FDN17/25 are in completely different price tiers as well. I guess if I were OP I’d set my price range and then compare scopes within that price range. Because in reality the FDN series competes with the next tier of optics and there are several other options out there.

I'd go with the higher magnifications over the mediums. Great for .308 gas gun, but for bolt I'd go higher for the option

I went ahead and ordered the USO FDN-17 3.2-17x. My 22" 7mm-08 has an older SN3 3.2-17 with the MOA scale type 1, so I went with the IGR on the FDN....might as well stick with what I'm familiar with!

Plus, couldn't really turn down the price from Midway...

I went ahead and ordered the USO FDN-17 3.2-17x. My 22" 7mm-08 has an older SN3 3.2-17 with the MOA scale type 1, so I went with the IGR on the FDN....might as well stick with what I'm familiar with!

Plus, couldn't really turn down the price from Midway...

What did you get it for?